• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2017 Stelvio stuck in 2ND gear

GEEG

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Anyone out there ever split there Tranny case I already have it off the bike but not sure how to get it apart.

If it is like other gear boxes, best to get it into neutral first. If you can't, you may be bulling out gear shafts with the cover. Take a look at the parts book and I think it is covered in the service manual.

Ya I can not get it in neutral. Its stuck in 2ND gear my own fault I crashed it on a dirt road.

Try rotating the input and output shafts. If it is stuck in gear from the crash, you may have very serious problems with the gearbox. I'd start looking for another one. It may be less expensive than repairing the one you have.

When you say stuck do you mean the shifter will not move, or it moves up and down but will not engage. If it moves up and down it may be more the shift mechanism not returning and allowing it to shift to the next gear. Does it return to the middle position by itself (ie. is the shift spring still in tact) or did the shifter just flop up and down,

If it is stuck and will not move then it may be some serious damage but I can't believe that a crash on dirt would do that to the gear box. They are pretty tough.

If it does move up and down do as John suggested and try rotating the shafts. Also move the shifter to the middle position (normal rest) and then try again. Unless the shifter goes back to the rest position it will not shift. Failing that a couple of good light taps with a hammer of your choice on the shafts or shift mechanism may loosen up whatever is happening in there.

I don't see it being anything major if you do have to take it apart. You have nothing to lose at this point. I do believe the service manual details on how to do it.

Last edited:
OK I got the gearbox split apart and found the gearbox shift selector shaft fork slightly bent with the fork tweeked like that it wasnt allowing the fork to engage the pins in the shift drum. I got it freed up but am ordering a new one anyways its called a Preselect complete its number 7 in the parts book. I think it was a freak failure because that gearbox looks like its built pretty tuff. It just bumms me out because I had a whole month off work and was 3 days into the trip with my brother doing the continental divide trail from Colorado to Canada and then up to Tuktoyaktuk N.W. Canada. Had to UHAUL my bike back from Helena MT. And now I am back to work and just talking about it. I will try again next year!

OH yes I forgot to mention that it probably failed because i dumped it on that side and we had to spin the bike around on that side to get it facing downhill again so I think it was all my fault and just bad luck. I still love my Stelvio and next time I will treat her better!

Back