• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Advice for used guzzi purchase.....first time owner

Greywheels

Just got it firing!
Hi all-
My first post here, have researched and looking at two different bikes.
Me: 1997 BMW F650st owner looking for larger touring bike. 5’9” 170# in decent shape but not a bulldog.

I will be checking out the following:
2000 Jackal with Hepworth bags, 17k on clock. Clean, garaged model $2000.

2006 Breva full bag set and windscreen 9k, clean, garaged. $4000.

I currently do my own wrenching and will continue, with knowledge and assistance from this site and manuals.
I have never owned a “cruiser” but need to ride to understand the feeling. But, owning an F650st, I’m not a knee scratcher either.
I will keep my F650st for winter, I live in Illinois and ride most days year round. And as a second bike if issues arise.

I’m nervous of the dash on the Breva, overall any mechanical issues on either bike.
I will make suggested mods including PC and exhaust for either or both to reduce weight and add a bit more punch after riding a bit.
I understand models are vastly different to compare. I just want easy and fun.
Any advice welcome for initial inspection and helpful tips.

Thanks-

You live in Illinois and ride year ‘round? I need one of those “not worthy” emoticons. :clap:

I served a two-year exile to the tundra in Milan (Near Rock Island, not Mandello! :giggle:) and, even with heated gear, didn’t leave the garage often from mid-November ‘til April!

Anyway, I have 100K+ miles on my EV (a brothelesque version of a Jackal) and a 2007 Norge. Moreover, my brother had a 2006 Breva; I put a few hundred miles on it along the way, too.

I think your worries about Breva dash are reasonable. Happened to my brother’s and why he sold it. Seem to recall a Euro outfit that fixed ‘em, but as I can’t remember accurately what I had for supper last night :think:, don’t count on it. There are threads here about that issue, and not sure how present owners with afflicted units have resolved or lived with it. Moreover, don’t think all were. Did seller address this?

That said, IMO (obviously) when equipped as “yours,” i.e., bags & w/s, the Breva is in many ways one of the most versatile, comfortable, and competent machines Guzzi has ever produced.

The Jackal is moto-simplicity. A “cruiser” on a sport bike frame. OK, OK, if you must, a 1967 sport bike, but that’s being picky. :rofl:

Seriously, I have had four issues over the years on my EV, only two of which — 4 & 5 — are possibly relevant on a Jackal: (1) rocker arm broke at 188 miles! Warranty fix; bad casting; (2) spoke wheels recalled; (3) ignition switch corroded from enthusiastic over-washing ( I now use only “products” to clean out and others); (4) recall added return throttle cable; and (5) replaced faulty TPS several times; probably threads about that here, too.

Not sure where you are in Illinois, but the Breva would be WAY more comfortable on some of those nasty frost-heaved pavement joints that I had to endure from Rock Island to get to the great riding in the Driftless area. On the other hand, at (a somewhat annoying ;)) 170#, even with gear and luggage that might not be as big an issue as it was for me (rather literally :giggle:).

Even if so, both Jackal and Breva are ea$y fits for upgunned suspension, which I would recommend anyway.

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. Edited to add that both I and GuzzMoto failed to ask the most important question: What colors are these Guzzis? :party:

Last edited:
Hi all-
My first post here, have researched and looking at two different bikes.
Me: 1997 BMW F650st owner looking for larger touring bike. 5’9” 170# in decent shape but not a bulldog.

I will be checking out the following:
2000 Jackal with Hepworth bags, 17k on clock. Clean, garaged model $2000.

2006 Breva full bag set and windscreen 9k, clean, garaged. $4000.

I currently do my own wrenching and will continue, with knowledge and assistance from this site and manuals.
I have never owned a “cruiser” but need to ride to understand the feeling. But, owning an F650st, I’m not a knee scratcher either.
I will keep my F650st for winter, I live in Illinois and ride most days year round. And as a second bike if issues arise.

I’m nervous of the dash on the Breva, overall any mechanical issues on either bike.
I will make suggested mods including PC and exhaust for either or both to reduce weight and add a bit more punch after riding a bit.
I understand models are vastly different to compare. I just want easy and fun.
Any advice welcome for initial inspection and helpful tips.

Thanks-
I think both bikes are nice, I prefer the older Jackal over the newer Breva. That is because in my opinion the Breva is a little too soft. When I rode one it made me think of a marshmallow. But opinions are like that, everyone has their own. And the Breva was a popular bike. I just never got it. I am not a cruiser guy either, but the Guzzi cruisers, especially the Jackal, are not like other cruisers.
Good luck whichever way you go. Have you ridden a Guzzi yet? They aren't for everyone, but those that they are for get it.
Todd has a nice kit to address fueling in either.
Guzzi's are really easy bikes to do your own service work on. Having a good dealer is nice, but being willing to do your own work is even better.

If the 2006 Breva is an 1100, it is the better machine. The Jackal does handle well, but no comparison to the Breva. I went from a 2003 EV to my 2006 1100 Breva and haven't regretted it for a moment. Also I haven't had any dash issues in 13 years!!

Thanks for the quick replies.
As for ever riding a Guzzi, sadly, no I have not. And, as for many, a strong mechanical support network is not too close. Yet this is not of concern to me. I will be taking some serious test rides in the next few weeks to help in the decision.
The Breva is what piqued my interest in the brand and I’m curious to see how the V85 shakes out as well.
In terms of the jackal, they just seem to pop up at ridiculously low prices. My posts may be a bit premature yet it is good to go into test rides with clear eyes.

My dash went within 2000 k on my 2006 B11. That was 8 years ago. If my dash were to ever go again, I would never get rid of my bike and have it fixed. It is a great bike. I did the full reflash, exhaust, crossover, air box lid and power commander available from this site. It made a great bike nearly perfect. The only issue left which is minor for someone of my ability is the bobbins on the front rotors stick, I would like the get newer disks and while I’m at it, to upgrade the suspension as I feel the urge to be rid of the diving front on braking(same issue on my wife’s 2012 Norge btw). I bought this bike after owning a Breva 750 which my wife took as her own(we have since sold and upgraded) both Breva’s were purchased from Moto International never having swung a foot over them. I have yet to be disappointed. The bike out of the crate is great and I would be more than happy with it, I just feel an urge to tinker is all. I have no experience with the Jackal.

I own both, and love them both. 12 years with the Jackal and 6 years wit the Breva. Night and day.
The Jackal is a "classic". Five speed, heavy flywheels, long legged gearing and capable of producing an impressive amount of grunt (considering what it is) if fueled well. Stiff suspension, but a happy road warrior.
Feet forward does not work for me so; rear set pegs, a taller seat and low bars. All day comfort with good (non adjustable suspension), solid handling. Only the TPS failed in 65k miles, not even a fork seal. No, I do not dream of a Vincent! If I had to clear house (garage), this may be the last one standing.
Breva 1100,
Can be finicky electronically, but once sorted it is a modern, refined bike bordering on Japanese sophistication. 6 speed, light flywheels with quick throttle response, good, if soft suspension (again all day comfort), great fuel economy and wonderful neutral steering. Pull the injectors and have them cleaned (easy on this one) as it has sat a fair bit (did wonders for mine).
It took me a while to sort mine, the fuel injection had been messed with a long time ago now (the sacred screw etc). Today I can not believe the competence and refinement of this bike compared to what I started out with.
Good fueling is the key for both (find it on this site), as they come to market with emission fueling, as opposed to optimum fueling.
I think in the long run the Breva would be my choice for the future, but like I said, I love them both, and I do not have to make that choice.
Best of luck!

Back