• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Strange Starting Issue - Weak Battery?

CBJoe

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Strange occurrence today on my '14 Cali. Bike was sitting in the sun all day behind my garage. Temp around 85F. No rain or moisture.

Went to start the bike to go on a ride and had it in neutral. Held the starter button down and it seemed to try and start for 1-2 revolutions and just stop. Tried again and the same. Turned the bike off and on and it would start intermittently. I messed around with the gear position, clutch and kickstand.

I finally settled into the magic of holding the clutch in (regardless of neutral or gear) and it started every time this afternoon. This could just be crazy coincidence. I'm going to be riding it for the next 5 days pretty consistent, so I'll be able to test it well.

I'm used to a battery issue just being a click...and also i'm used to kickstand or clutch switch issues to not allow the starter to function at all.

This ring a bell to anyone? Battery voltage shows around 12.4V when key turns on and 13-14.1V while riding.

Could still be a weak battery, but thought to post here for anything weird I'm not considering.

Cheers, Joe

I had an issue with a clutch switch that caused intermittent issues. Part of the switch was working, but the normally closed part was intermittent.

Did you see any error codes?

Hey Dave...I did not see any codes.

I am still having my intermittent urgent service error when turning the key on. But this is mostly resolved by keeping the bars straight ahead when turning the key on. I'd love for it all to be the clutch switch...but I doubt I'm that lucky. Last I checked it was the P0155 code.

I'm gonna order the switch after i'm back in town. Maybe I'll get lucky. Real luck would be for a Guzzi Service shop to open up in Indianapolis :cry:

P0155 = Throttle Grip Position Redundancy tracks C-D inconsistent signal. Been covered here before, I believe replacement is the only cure.

Hey Dave...Yep, seems thats the conclusion for the P0155. The intermittent start issues are still occurring. Never left me stranded, but happened off and on the last few days during a couple hundred mile road trip. Heres a short clip I took after coming home. Doesn't matter if the bike is super hot or cold starting. In this clip it starts the first time, but you can see an example of the behavior when I turn it off and back on again.

I'm going to make an appointment in the near future with a shop in Cincinnati, OH. Its the closest place to me at about 120miles away. Getting tired of the random Urgent Service message and these starting problems so I'm just going to drop it off them them to get it hopefully sorted out for good.

Cheers, Joe

The bike is at least spinning over and the dash is staying on so don't think its a weak battery, pull a plug lead off, insert a spark plug to check you're getting a spark, try to narrow it down to spark of a fuel issue. Kev

The bike is at least spinning over and the dash is staying on so don't think its a weak battery, pull a plug lead off, insert a spark plug to check you're getting a spark, try to narrow it down to spark of a fuel issue. Kev

Hey Kev...I fully follow your thinking, but gets difficult because it will start 7 out of 10 times. Not consistent. So difficult to judge via the tricks you mention. At the moment before digging in super deep I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and take it to a shop. I already know I'm fighting a Throttle Pot Error.

The shop I bought the bike from (which has since gone out of business) did a lot of maintenance and work on it that I think I'd like to have baseline'd as I'm starting to question some previous work.

Luckily I've got lots of other fun bike projects taking my time...Hot rod Honda 750K2 and a fun little 60's Honda 90. So this one I may wimp out on and leave it to a shop. I'll follow up with the outcome.

Joe

Hey Dave...Yep, seems thats the conclusion for the P0155. The intermittent start issues are still occurring. Never left me stranded, but happened off and on the last few days during a couple hundred mile road trip. Heres a short clip I took after coming home. Doesn't matter if the bike is super hot or cold starting. In this clip it starts the first time, but you can see an example of the behavior when I turn it off and back on again.

I'm going to make an appointment in the near future with a shop in Cincinnati, OH. Its the closest place to me at about 120miles away. Getting tired of the random Urgent Service message and these starting problems so I'm just going to drop it off them them to get it hopefully sorted out for good.

Cheers, Joe

Mine did this the other day also...Started and died about 5 or six times. Then started and has been fine since. i have no error codes...Please let us know what the shop finds out.

Mine just did this yesterday. No response first few times I tried to start it. Cycled the key and tried again, started and died 5 or 6 times. Started and ran fine after that and started fine this morning. I suspect the start switch.

Back