• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7III First Service

dududuckling

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi all,

My first service on the V7 III Stone is coming up. I live in the US. I am bringing it to a local shop, not a Guzzi dealer, but he came highly recommended and is a Guzzi guy himself. What do you use for fluid and filter?

Engine oil 10W60 - ???
Oil filter - ???

Transmission oil 85W140 - Royal Purple

Final drive oil 75W90 - Royal Purple

Fuel filter - Mahle KL145 or the one from Guzzitech

Can I confirm that gearbox oil (500 mL 85w140) is indeed transmission oil and transmission oil (~170mL 75w90) is indeed final drive oil?

I am bumped that RP does not make 10w60 and filter as I have used all their products in my car for the past decade.

I am planning to go through all the checklist in the manual plus tighten throttle cable, check clutch adjustment, possibly bleed the front and rear brakes (getting spongy), check pad-to-rotor clearance, and replace the half plastic fuel filter.

Anything else that I am missing?

Thanks.

Andrew

Engine oil Yes, 10W60
Oil filter Use the stock from a Guzzi dealer, Guzzitech (if Todd sells them) or MG Cycle and get an o-ring for the cover too
Final drive, 85W140, any good synthetic will be fine
Gearbox 75W90, any good synthetic will be fine
Fuel filter, get the one from Guzzitech to support the effort or get the KL145 if you just want to pick up local.

BTW, what the US calls a transmission, the rest of the world calls a gearbox. What we call a final drive, is a transmission to the rest of the world since it changes direction of rotation.

Just a note of caution, if you do not use the Moto Guzzi specified fuel filter, they may not accept any warranty claims that have to do with the fuel system.

Just a note of caution, if you do not use the Moto Guzzi specified fuel filter, they may not accept any warranty claims that have to do with the fuel system.
Would rather not get stranded then worry about voiding a warranty. Just like flashing the ecu. I would rather have my bike run proper and good. The last thing on my mind when I bought my bike was worrying about warranty.

Engine oil Yes, 10W60
Oil filter Use the stock from a Guzzi dealer, Guzzitech (if Todd sells them) or MG Cycle and get an o-ring for the cover too
Final drive, 85W140, any good synthetic will be fine
Gearbox 75W90, any good synthetic will be fine
Fuel filter, get the one from Guzzitech to support the effort or get the KL145 if you just want to pick up local.

BTW, what the US calls a transmission, the rest of the world calls a gearbox. What we call a final drive, is a transmission to the rest of the world since it changes direction of rotation.

Thanks for the clarification between transmission and gearbox. I was a little bit confused at first. How could what we call transmission only use 170 mL of oil whereas the rear end use 500 mL. I have ordered the fuel filter from Todd, but I can't find anything else in the store. So I decided to get the oil change kit, which includes the filter and relevant o rings, crush washers from MGC.

I'll be using OEM oil filter, RP 75W90 for the final drive and RP85W140 for the transmission, Engine oil... maybe AGIP 10W60?

The manual does not call for the final drive oil (170 mL) to be changed on the first service. I did it anyhow, independent of the dealer.

I want to change it anyway since it does not use much fluid and probably take up another 15 mins of shop time. I plan to do fluid and filter change once a year anyway since they don't use much; this is coming from a 4x4 where engine oil, transmission, transfer case, front and rear diff oils can use up to about 10L and doing fluid change after every water crossing will cost $200 upward.

Yes you are correct. They will cover the other warranty as long as it is irrelevant to the fuel system. But I'll take that chance vs being stranded in the middle of 101 because the fuel filter disintegrates. I can have the shop pull it out and inspect as it is, but at that point, I might as well swap the filter for an all-metal and ride worry-free. I am under the impression that as long as the flow rate is the same, a filter is a filter.

Last edited:
Decided to go with Motorex Power Synt 10W60 - it meets the JASO MA, API-SG etc etc. I am thinking of adding the GT-X oil pan spacer to increase the oil capacity sometime down the road.

I am thinking of adding the GT oil pan spacer to increase the oil capacity sometime down the road.
Just to clarify, my sump spacer does NOT fit the V7 III or V9. Only the ‘16 and older small blocks.

Just remember 2 L's Lightest and largest, Start w/front of bike. Engine=lightest grade oil, Engine = largest amount. It progressively changes front to back. Don't think of names, think location. Simple

2.5 hours later... the Guzzi is done.

First 900-mile service (plus replace all fluid incl final drive, lubricate the clutch lever pin, tighten up throttle cable)

Replace the fuel filter - this is what it looks like at 934 miles with 91 Octane. And I believe it should look white when new.

Install usb socket (it is connected to the battery tender plug from the battery)

B117FB66 B389 400C 9289 3FC492A2601A 30FDB6FB 643B 433B 8448 6082E9DC492A F0F07970 948F 4DED 90D0 5BF5923DC3D1 6E80B65F 1AEA 487B A671 A867C8D93BF6 FDE6C574 B0F7 4D10 8705 38A7A7FC6048 47492B4C C125 4638 9945 9EC38DC1134B S l225

Saw this tread and thought to ask about my V7 Stone (2013). The manual says "To check, top-up and change
gearbox oil, contact an Official Moto Guzzi Dealer." I have no idea what oil to put in mine and I'm sure it's due. Any suggestions?

Its in the manual somewhere... I can't remember if its 75W90 or 85W140 or similar. For me, I just replaced the engine oil, gearbox oil, and final drive oil together because they are cheap and they don't take much (unlike in a car).

Saw this tread and thought to ask about my V7 Stone (2013). The manual says "To check, top-up and change
gearbox oil, contact an Official Moto Guzzi Dealer." I have no idea what oil to put in mine and I'm sure it's due. Any suggestions?

Gearbox (the one that changes gears) is 75W90. The rear drive uses 85W140. Easy enough to service yourself. Just download a service manual for your bike.

I have to take mine to the dealer for her first service but unfortunately i went over my first 600 miles (630 miles right now). Is that a bad thing?

I have to take mine to the dealer for her first service but unfortunately i went over my first 600 miles (630 miles right now). Is that a bad thing?
I believe on the v7III they call for the first service at 900 miles in the manual. Maybe someone else will confirm or correct.

I believe on the v7III they call for the first service at 900 miles in the manual. Maybe someone else will confirm or correct.

I checked just the other day on my Viii and it indeed did call for first service at 900 miles. I am getting close to my first service. Only 150 more to go. I love my bike so far.

Back