• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

had my Stelvio 9 days

fatal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I'm loving this bike, everything is bedding in nicely, the brakes are good, handling fine, the power delivery better than expected. I've covered approxiamately 600 miles over a mixture of fast sweeping main roads, and tight twisty country lanes, sometimes in heavy rain, the bike takes it all well in it's stride. :)
The only problem encountered is the damn speedometer and odometer having a dickie fit :( . At 342 miles it started to read 0 mph for several miles, then it fluttered into life and went up and down the speed scale so that at one point I was doing 158mph....hellishly quick for running in don't you think? :laugh: Then the red triangle and the word 'service' appeared on a few occassions.
The mileage now shows 458, and the service warning appears stuck on, but the bike runs ok.
I'm wondering if this could be caused by dirt on the wheel speed sensor, or is it more likely to be caused by damp. I used the service code given elsewhere on this forum to have a look at the diagnostic section, it seems there are several codes showing something like DSB. I decided to leave well alone and have booked it into the dealer for next wednesday morning.
has anyone any idea what the cause of the problem is, and is it a simple fix; such as the dealer just resetting the computer using the diagnostic tool? :S

Hi Alan, thanks for the post and info.

Yes, it is 90%+ likely that your issue is related to the wheel speed sensor. Once they get wet and/or dirty they've exhibited this behavior on the other models.

You can reset the warning light via the dash board and mode switches, or it can be done via the VDST (which offers several other great tuning features) as seen HERE (I ship worldwide).

Also, I'd love to get your info and a few photos for the Registry shown HERE. Send all info and photos to me direct email to; Todd at GuzziTech.com

the wheel speed sensor [...] Once [...] wet and/or dirty [...] exhibited this behavior on the other models.

Which kinda makes you wonder if the only foreseen off-the-road usage wouldn't be some indeterminate function on the showroom floor? :silly:

Frankly, isn't this a rather serious design flaw for an adventure model?! It's not like it would have cost particularly much to mount the ABS wheel and sensor for just the wheel-speed reading!!

I intend to keep the bike a few years, so once it's out of warranty I will service it myself, so I may well buy one of your diagnostic kits. I've just ordered one for my Triumph Tiger 1050 as that is just about out of warranty period, I don't want to pay £450 to the dealer when I can do most of the work myself.
I'll have a look at the speed sensor this morning, but I'll leave the code clearing to the dealer for the time being.
Once I get some decent photos I'll post up to the registry. I notice there are a few Guzzi owners listed quite near to me. I live in the UK, near St Helens, which is between Liverpool and Manchester.

I, also have (had) problems with te speedometer when driving in the rain.
Sensor 2 times replaced under warranty.
Still having problems with it.
Now i have sealed the the place where te wiring actualy fits in the sensor with 2 component glue so i hope it wil be water-/dirtproof now.

greetz
Dikkiedik

Hey RJVB, I seem to recall on another thread that your kick stand was bent?
I was just on Ebay and came accross this for sale, thought it might be of some interest to you.

Item number: 130307284708
Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 KICKSTAND

Log onto ebay and search the item number, part is in the USA, but seller will ship world wide.

Cheers, SpeedyB)

Thanks Speedy, but that was my centre stand. It has since been replaced for free (well, somebody's insurance paid ;) )

I'll wade through their pages to see if they also offer the part necessary to mount a US kick, it's not the same as for the European kick.

But what is this seller, butchering good-running bikes?!

Mine stopped the first light rain I got into. I got it real warm and dry and coated it with 'liguid rubber'. I let that get sucked in as it cooled. I have since then gotten it seriously wet with no issues.
I think the biggest problem is right where the wire enters the sensor.

It seems to be a problem with these crappy sensors. Re-potting 'em as Wayne sugests should cure the problem. I warranty 'em on principle. If enough of 'em get returned perhaps piggio will get a decent supplier whose parts work!

Pete

I went out for a ride into North Wales today, the speedo still not working, I used my Sat Nav to read off. At the moment the speedo is stuck on 0mph, and 448miles with the SERVICE sign showing. Having travelled about 20 miles this morning the speedo suddenly started to work for the next 15 miles, and then packed up again. I covered just over 200 miles today, the bike now shows 463 miles, with an estimated total mileage of about 800miles, soon be time for the first service.

I took the bike back to the supplying dealer yesterday morning, they said it's the sensor and have ordered a new one, hopefully it will arrive in time along with the ordered heated grips and parts for the cam recall (which I just found out today it needs) All hopefully to be sorted on the first service.

The mechanic is sure going to be busy that day. I just hope he knows his stuff. :S

Apart from the speedo issue the bike is running well, the ride out to Wales was excellent, dry roads, sunshine and in company with three pals, one on a California Vintage, one on a Triumph 900 Trophy, and another on a KTM 640 supermoto. The Stelvio handled the bumpy twisty roads very well, it's a great piece of kit. ;)

Alan,
Be sure when you replace the old sensor for a new one, the fitting of the wiring into the new sensor will be properly sealed as discribed above.
Otherwise the new sensor will be showing the same failiure as the old one when driving in the rain!

Greetz
Dikkiedik

if my observations are correct, it might not be the rain but the dirt that comes off the road when it gets wet in a regular rain...

I'll explain... Monday there was one of the biggest t-storms I have ever seen and definitely the only one I rode through with my bike. (mind you, those ***holes from the forecast had not seen it coming!)
I was just coming out of George Duke's Paris concert (fabulous if you're into this! lol) and it started raining, slowly then more consistently until all hell broke loose and I could'nt even see the road 4 yards away... The speedometer was OK while I was on the bit of H'way leading to the road back home (I was driving so slowly since I couldn't see a thing that I was afraid to get rammed from behind by a car on the H'way)

As soon as I exited I came on a dirty road and a 100 yard later the service sign came on with no speed appearing on the meter.
At that moment I thought very much about what had been said here!
And then about a mile further, I rode through a huge amount of water gathered on a lower part of the road. It must have been at least a foot deep, but I couldn't see it in the dark. The wave that I created (although I was driving at only 35 kmph) went all over, drenching (or should I say showering) me and the bike and probably thoroughly washed the sensor's area. Instantly the service light went off and the speedometer worked again.
I rode another 60 km home under non stop pouring rain (I can't find a word to describe how much was falling from the skies with thunderbolts everywhere) and everything run smoothly. The next day I just checked to see if there was any problem... none... Not even fog under the speedo glass.
So if I am correct if you pour clean water on the sensor it will have no effect. If it gets covered with water tainted by debris, mud or any kind of stuff that gets loose in a regular rain, then it will run amok.

Maybe the air gap for the sensor is too small if a little dirt fusses it up. I just had mine off to do the sealing trick. No shims or anything, would be tough to adjust.

If it's dirt washing in that blocks the sensor, then the choice of location is really unfortunately. Given how much general road dirt, brake grit and what looks like aluminium corrosion lives in that region ...

IT IS NOT DIRT!

It is water.

Right after getting mine, it got rained on while outside. The SERVICE light came on after a couple hundred feet going down the road. Using a meter, with the sensor OFF the bike, I could see that the sensor had failed. After drying it out, the meter indicated it was working again. I sealed it and all is well. I have since then been off road and had mud packed all over the rear drive box. No problem.

Add to this that multiple people have sealed out the water and appear to have a permanent fix.

It is a hall effect sensor with an integrated amplifier and a magnet. Dirt will not effect it unless the dirt is mostly iron.

Wonder B wrote:
Instantly the service light went off and the speedometer worked again.

Keep in mind, if the sensor fails, and you have a warning light. You then plug in a WORKING sensor, the light does not instantly go off. I'm not sure what the time period is, but it takes time for the service light to go out after the new / repaired sensor is installed.

So, when your service light 'instantly' went out, it was because the sensor had started working a while prior to that.
( I have no clue what the distance/time is, but it appears to be over 1/2 miles)

Back