• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How to connect a phone charger ???

Mayakovski

GT Reference
GT Famiglia
Hi All;

Getting ready for a longer trip and I want to have a solid source of power for my phone for running my mapping app. I am looking at getting the following mount, but do not know where to connect it to the electrical system. Not much detail is given but it should work.

Mount.jpg

Mount-2.jpg

How and where would I connect this to the system? My bikes a V7 III Anniversario.

Thanks

Should be able to just run it back to the battery. I have my USB port ziptied to frame and have a heat-resistant battery tap that goes back to the battery

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_084835.jpg
    IMG_20190720_084835.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20190722-125046.png
    Screenshot_20190722-125046.png
    661.6 KB · Views: 44
If you want constant power, then direct to the battery. It has a fuse so it is protected. If you want switched power (power only when key is on) take a look at the schematic for a V7. It should be close enough. Another method is a fuse connection to a fuse that only has power on with the key on. Just takes a probe of voltmeter to find out which ones. Connect the fuse jumper to the live side of the fuse connection. something like this. https://www.autozone.com/electrical...d-accessories/bussmann-atm-fuse-tap/32416_0_0

Perfect, thanks for the answers, I was hoping it was that easy. The unit has an on/off switch itself so I should be good to go. :)

Or, search the GPS plug here, and get a mate to it for keyed plug and play power.

I have a cellphone mount on the handlebar (Quadlock). My battery has a SAE cable connected (in case I want to plug it to battery tender).

I bought a $10 motorcycle USB charger with SAE connector and SAE extension cable, that gets connected to the battery SAE if needed. Any other time, they get unplugged and capped since USB charger draws power even when not in use. From there, I connect it to the iPhone via a 6” iPhone cable. I run the cable extension under the gas tank, nicely hidden.

The SAE cables are plugged since I ride in the rain. The top SAE cable belongs to the USB charger. The bottom SAE cable is directly hooked to the battery. I connect them if I want to charge the phone, otherwise leave them unhooked.

Attachments

• F3910BF4-1666-4B4D-8E98-4A90140A2A43.png
    F3910BF4-1666-4B4D-8E98-4A90140A2A43.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 1CA11639-EDAC-46CA-8ECA-9DBDBC686581.jpeg
    1CA11639-EDAC-46CA-8ECA-9DBDBC686581.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 52
What is the best way to connect to the battery, I have not done such wiring before and am unsure how to proceed?

Disconnect the negative leads, then the positive leads. Connect the new cable for the USB to the positive side of the battery with the original leads then connect the new negative lead and the originals to the negative post of the battery. This would also be a good time to add the SAE connector as above.

Perfect info folks;

I ordered an adapter from Amazon that will work perfect, quick disconnect and everything for $15.00. Linked below if anyone else is looking for this kind of item.

Quick disconnect SAE to battery USB connector.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DYE54LI/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

And this is the phone holder/charger.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07R59Z3HX/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_2

I'll add some pictures once I have the pieces installed.

AHAHAHAHAHA, just realized I do not need a phone holder with a charger built in since the adapter will charge direct from the USB port. Ah well, it's all good.

Love this forum, you are all awesome.
Maya

Perfect info folks;

Awesome! From my personal experience, just don't forget to unplug the charger SAE cable from the battery SAE cable and cap them when not in use. I had my first dead battery from that even though the USB charger was not drawing much power. I have used Quadlock for cellphone mount for the past year and a half. Its pricey, but the phone can be installed/uninstalled with one hand and gloves on, stay put on the freeway, and the mount has not moved since and low profile without the phone on it. Worth checking it out too, but whichever works. :)

I ended up using an SAE plug wired into the GPS wires along with a Powerlet USB plug on my Griso.

On my VTX I used the mount/power plug mentioned in the first post. It is wired straight to the battery, mainly because I didn't feel like digging for the starter solenoid (where I normally hard wire stuff). The mount has a switch so I can just turn it off.

I bought this connector.

10pcs-manufactuer-car-auto-wire-connector.jpg

And this usb port.
5b7d040bN116404cc.jpg.dpg

I soldered their wire together and got usb port same as Guzzi oem part that sell for $$$.
Connect it to exist 2 pin connector under seat.
You will get usb port which turn off when you switch off the bike.

I bought this connector.
And this usb port.
I soldered their wire together and got usb port same as Guzzi oem part that sell for $$$.
Connect it to exist 2 pin connector under seat.
You will get usb port which turn off when you switch off the bike.

View attachment 17778
Nice but would not work for a V7 III as they do not have the GPS port on them.

Mine is V7iii.
There is power source connector under seat.
Guzzi made this for OEM usb port which is the same method as I did but more expensive.

View attachment 17780
I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing and i don't understand the schematics.. please bear that in mind. :)

What are those parts called and you're saying if i get those two things and solder them together, there's a place to plug it in below the seat?

(i would check it myself before posting but my bike is in the shop)

I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing and i don't understand the schematics.. please bear that in mind. :)

What are those parts called and you're saying if i get those two things and solder them together, there's a place to plug it in below the seat?

(i would check it myself before posting but my bike is in the shop)

Yes. There is power source connector for "USB CONNECTION KIT 2S000983" under seat.
All I did is only copy design of factory accessory and make it cheaper.

Here is picture of 2S000983.
S l500

Back