• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso or Stelvio which one?

zx800

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I am looking at two bikes. One is a 2013 Griso and the other is a 2014 Stelvio both with 1500 Kms. I currently have a Harley Electra Glide Classic. We bought a camp and don't use the bike as much. I want something lighter then the Harley but torn between both these bikes. I like the stelvio for its bigger tank, windshield and bags. It is $2000 more and father away. I love the look of the Griso it's a lot closer but don't like the small tank. I had a v7 racer before but found too small for me. Just wondering what people's thoughts on these bikes.

It sounds like you want the Stelvio. If your legs are long enough, get it. If you don't you will always regret the decision not to.

What John said.

The Stelvio is as close to an all-around, do-it-all, utility player machine as Guzzi has ever made.

I have a Griso ... and love it. IMO, there is nothing like it on the planet. That is not always a good thing. :giggle:

Seriously, I have done multi-day trips on it, mounted the H-B C-Bow bags, etc., and had a great time. But, my "Perfect Pillion" of a wife declines (she is perfect, so she never outright refuses :inlove:) to ride the Griso. IMO, it's a one-rider "gentleman's hooligan" machine. ;)

The Stelvio will do what the Norge does and more, and without the PITA hassle of tupperware. I have one and love it, too.

Power? You'll like the Stelvio or the Griso. :D

If I missed something you wonder about, ask.

Buon (quarto giorno di) Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo!

Bill

To add to above... I've owned/own both, and still have the Stelvio (actually 2 of them, '09 & '13 - and I do once again own a Griso 1100, but it will be used for a project build), and I owned a Griso 8V for the RentAGuzzi.com Fleet.
The Stelvio is my go to; Sportbike when you want it to be, and SUV when you need it to be. The Griso is fun, but the Stelvio is the one I'd recommend.

I am the opposite, I prefer the Griso and would never buy a Stelvio. It is a lot like a two wheeled SUV. I find SUVs useless, never really that good at anything and you have to deal with their issues, like being too tall. But clearly some people like SUVs. I am the kind of guy who would buy a Jeep, or a real dual sport bike. But I don't need an SUV or an "Adventure" bike. I have plenty of adventures on my Griso, or on any of my other normal motorcycles. But my Griso is my "couch" bike. I can ride it all day long.
The 8 valve Griso does have a somewhat limited fuel range per tank, my older 2 valve Griso does fine for me. I never really have an issue, though, unless it can't go more than 120 miles or so. And even the 8 valver should be able to do that.
But in the end the best thing to do would be to test ride them. In the end, what I think, or what anyone else here thinks, doesn't really matter when it comes to you and what you will like.

Last edited:
My height won't be a problem for the stelvio and I am leaning towards it. But running a zrx1200 years ago I still have the passion for naked bikes.

In the end motorcycles should "speak" to you, and more so with Guzzi's vs. other brands as they are more of an emotional purchase than most. No one buys a Guzzi because it is the best bike and/or best value. They buy a Guzzi because, in spite of its flaws, it speaks to them on an emotional level. Buying a Guzzi that does not connect with you like that is a mistake.
I love the naked bike feel of the Griso. I love the look and feel of it. My only reget about my Griso is that it did not come with the Daytona motor as the original concept bike had. But as I also have a Daytona, that is easy enough to let slide. I have no doubt that the Stelvio is the right Guzzi for many people, and it may be the right Guzzi for the OP. But, in the end, only the individual can decide which Guzzi, if any, is the right Guzzi for them.
Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it for a long time. The great thing about ALL Guzzi's is they are like no other brand. You can't ride a Guzzi and forget what you are riding.

Two completely different bikes. Griso is great if you want a naked standard you can do anything on. The Stelvio is a plush over-the-road mile-gobbling machine in comfort, and you can go on unpaved roads easily, enjoying 8+ gallons of fuel. I'm ~6', and run the Stelvio with the seat in the high position for max seat to peg room, and I do have my Stelvio fully kitted with everything I offer here, fueling, exhaust, suspension, brakes and two sets of wheels; Cast with off-road rubber, and a smaller wider set with sticky sportbike rubber (120/70-18 & 180/55-17) tubeless spoked.
That said, my RentAGuzzi Griso 8V has all similar mods, which was a hoot too. They are similar weights, but the Griso is a bit more hard-edged to enjoy/ride, where-as the Stelvio is far more relaxed and easier to ride.

Which bike depends on weather and distance. With my Griso 13+ hours 650+ miles per day is fine but wind chill is what gets me when it's below 50 and dark.

Wind is my big problem on my Griso. It has a Dart Marlin and I've had a bad experience with a 30+ quartering headwind that I finally had to slow down to 55+ mph to deal with all the hammering the helmet was taking. If you're not making long trips over the the Desert or Plain States this shouldn't be a problem but I'm planning on a 4,000+ mile trip next year and like to keep my speed up for the first 4 states west.

I'd testride both of them if I were you as they are both very different. Griso does have a small tank, and no fuel meter other than a warning light that goes on when you hit reserve, which can bite you when you are just passing a gasstation when the light goes on and think "I'll take the next one" only to find out the next one on your route is 50km away. It's also not exactly known for being economic, I'm glad when I get 15 km per liter.
But its a very fun bike to ride.

Good advice above. If you want storage and the ability to go off the beaten path but still have respectable on road performance, with a little more comfort, Stelvio is your choice. If you want a naked more sport oriented/performance bike, go Griso.... Looks are subjective and preference.

I have a Griso and Norge, LOVE the Griso ,like the Norge, wish had gone Stelvio.

I'd testride both of them if I were you as they are both very different. Griso does have a small tank, and no fuel meter other than a warning light that goes on when you hit reserve, which can bite you when you are just passing a gasstation when the light goes on and think "I'll take the next one" only to find out the next one on your route is 50km away. It's also not exactly known for being economic, I'm glad when I get 15 km per liter.
But its a very fun bike to ride.
Isn't the Griso gas tank over 4 gallons? That isn't a small gas tank, I have owned a Honda Hawk and a Buell Blast. They both had gas tanks nearly half that size.
I know this is not news to most people here, but I do what motorcyclists have done for decades. I track the mileage with the odometer / trip meter, so that I have an idea how much fuel is left. That way I am not surprised when the light comes on. Typically I am expecting it and planning my next fuel stop. I don't really trust the fuel light anyway, and I am not sure I would trust a gauge 100% either (especially one made in Italy). A fuel gauge can be nice, but I hardly see it as a must have type item or a make or break thing. Buy the one that suits your needs and tastes. That is the best advice I can give.

I am lucky enough to own a Griso and a Stelvio which covers (most) all my guzzi itches that need to be scratched.:D

I think that the Stelvio is the best for long distance in all types of weather, especially with a pillion on board. It is super comfortable and handles brilliantly. I agree with Bill that the Stelvio is a perfect all rounder {but is big and heavy}.

On the other hand the Tenni Griso is the one that is pure naked class and I love it, and I think will always have a spot in my garage.
It is best suited for solo riding on nice dry summer days. In my opinion it is still one of the most beautiful bikes ever.

Griso is classiest and Stelvio is most practical.

Actually I would find it hard to have to part with either of them.

I just put my money down on a 2014 Stelvio. It has 1500kms on the od. It is about 15 hrs away so I can't wait to pick it up in May.

Buy them both....I did and I don't regret it. My bank account looks at me longingly but it cannot replace the feeling I get with both of these bikes. The Stelvio is indeed an all round machine and very comfortable to boot, but the Griso is just a cafe racer gone mad with great reliability and a wonderful ride. Guzzi so just keep pulling me back in and they evoke such a feeling of involvement with your bike.

...They are similar weights, but the Griso is a bit more hard-edged to enjoy/ride, where-as the Stelvio is far more relaxed and easier to ride.

Relaxed? I say Nay-Nay!

I pity the fool on a Griso who gets in my draft in the mountains because he better know what the hell he is doing or he's going to get spit off for sure. My friends who have ridden challenging roads with me on my Stelvio are simply amazed at how flickable it really is and how deceptively fast it is.

That being said, I would still love to own a Griso to go with my Stelvio and Centauro. I say indulge your impulses :)

Had a Stelvio and I was very pleased with its power, handling and braking.

Bringing up an old thread to get some advice. Here is the situation:

Currently have a v7 that I love, but it doesn't suit me all that well for my situation (long commute to work or to meet friends, all highway, rough roads, setup for canyon carving, not crazy about the power, etc.)

Since the first leaked images of the v85tt, I have wanted that bike. It is the best looking Guzzi outside of the Lemans, IMO. But when I test rode it, it felt pretty sterile and the power, while never lacking, it never felt thrilling either. The v85tt broke down on me at mile 7 of an 8 mile test ride, so maybe it was something else that made it feel sterile, who knows.

Then I test rode the griso. And it was just a down right dream of an engine to ride. It was only an 8 mile test ride, same route as the v85tt, but ever corner, the mile or so in traffic, and the highway miles, all were just thrilling. It felt like it had power for days and would lap up the road if you asked it too. But holy crap was it uncomfortable in the position. It was hunched over yet standard feet placement. In fact my leg cramped up at like mile 3.

The truth is, I've been dreaming of an ADV for a long time. So the stelvio seems like the way to go. I get an ADV type bike with the engine that is like the Griso.

----

My question is does the Stelvio engine feel as thrilling as a griso's? From the posts above, I gather the Stelvio is just as thrilling as the griso, just in a slightly different way. Should I be worried about any reliability issues or well known quirks?

Last edited:
But why are we last on the list for advice? Clearly the Facebook asylum is best. ;)
I'll reply to you via email.

Currently have a v7 that I love, but it doesn't suit me all that well for my situation (long commute to work or to meet friends, all highway, rough roads, setup for canyon carving, not crazy about the power, etc.)

Since the first leaked images of the v85tt, I have wanted that bike. It is the best looking Guzzi outside of the Lemans, IMO. But when I test rode it, it felt pretty sterile and the power, while never lacking, it never felt thrilling either. The v85tt broke down on me at mile 7 of an 8 mile test ride, so maybe it was something else that made it feel sterile, who knows.

Then I test rode the griso. And it was just a down right dream of an engine to ride. It was only an 8 mile test ride, same route as the v85tt, but ever corner, the mile or so in traffic, and the highway miles, all were just thrilling. It felt like it had power for days and would lap up the road if you asked it too. But holy crap was it uncomfortable in the position. It was hunched over yet standard feet placement. In fact my leg cramped up at like mile 3.

The truth is, I've been dreaming of an ADV for a long time. So the stelvio seems like the way to go. I get an ADV type bike with the engine that is like the Griso.

----

My question is does the Stelvio engine feel as thrilling as a griso's? From the posts above, I gather the Stelvio is just as thrilling as the griso, just in a slightly different way. Should I be worried about any reliability issues or well known quirks?
The engines are nearly the same between the two. But the gearing may be a little taller on the Stelvio, I can't remember for sure.

Back