• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

24K maintenance

Chet Van Aken

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT di Razza Pura
No issues, valves were in spec. again. Fuel filter was fairly easy to change as well. Plugs were a little dirty but no visible wear, changed them as per schedule. It is easy to work on the Guzzi compared to my Aprilia's! (except for the rear wheel removal).

Nothing beats my Ducatis’ single sided swing arms for easy rear wheel removal.

Last edited:
No issues, valves were in spec. again. Fuel filter was fairly easy to change as well. Plugs were a little dirty but no visible wear, changed them as per schedule. It is easy to work on the Guzzi compared to my Aprilia's! (except for the rear wheel removal).

Out of interest, what is the recommended mileage for replacing the fuel filter. I cannot even see a reference to it in the owner's manual under servicing.

I thought I saw it at 24,000 miles. Anyone had issues with the fuel gauge? I had the tank off and upside down and it seems to want to stick on low or high. Took it out and it moves freely and the indicator changes, if slowly. Could be binding a little but there is no calibration procedure I know of?

It is easy to work on the Guzzi compared to my Aprilia's! (except for the rear wheel removal).

And let us not forget the air filter access difficulties.... ;)

FYI, I am planning to ride to visit a friend who lived just southeast of Montgomery, AL. I see you are not too far from there. How are the temps around late September?

Its fine around here in late September. July and August are humid and mid 90's. January and February are occasionally too cold to ride some days (below 50). All you have to watch out for is thunderstorms and rain.

Fuel filter is hitting the float on the fuel gauge, fine if you want it to read low or high. Not sure what I did its running fine, I'll take the tank off again and sort it out. Something to look out for when you change it out.

Also, second time in a year, got a nail in a new rear tire, something wrapped and took out the licence plate light also. Those CO2 repair kits are nice for getting you going but I don't like to run a repaired tire on a bike even if its done right.

Fuel filter is hitting the float on the fuel gauge, fine if you want it to read low or high. Not sure what I did its running fine, I'll take the tank off again and sort it out. Something to look out for when you change it out.

Also, second time in a year, got a nail in a new rear tire, something wrapped and took out the licence plate light also. Those CO2 repair kits are nice for getting you going but I don't like to run a repaired tire on a bike even if its done right.
Bummer about the new tire. I agree with you about tire repair but have to admit, I usually try to squeeze a couple thousand more miles out of tires after I plug them. Especially if they’re new. I seem to pickup wood or sheet metal screws every time I ride on the shoulder of the road.

About the fuel float, the pump/filter assembly leans to the left as you sit on the bike and goes in both ways. If it leans to the right the float will not move properly. Bike works fine either way so pay attention when you replace the fuel filter, unlike me.

Chet,

All I have been able to find (without actually pulling the tank) is that the California 1400 uses an all metal fuel filter.

The parts diagrams shows p/n: GU01106090

2014 California fuel filter

Can you confirm this is what you found?

Thanks!

Hi Chet,

Where did you purchase those valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals as well as cover bolt seals? Any online sources?

Do those requires changing every time or reusable like oil drain plug rubber insert washers?

Hi Chet,

Where did you purchase those valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals as well as cover bolt seals? Any online sources?

Do those requires changing every time or reusable like oil drain plug rubber insert washers?
They are reusable but if you need them, AF1 Racing.com

Chet,

All I have been able to find (without actually pulling the tank) is that the California 1400 uses an all metal fuel filter.

The parts diagrams sh
Chet,

The parts diagrams shows p/n: GU01106090

View attachment 21751

Can you confirm this is what you found?

Thanks!

Dave, I am the third owner of a 2014 Moto Guzzi 1400 California with 20,000 miles on it. I just pulled the fuel pump while waiting for a new filter from Todd. Surprisingly, the filter in the tank was an all-metal Mahle KL145 like your photo in Post #11, not a funky half-plastic one. The 14.03.13 date stamped on the filter, presumably meaning March 14, 2013, leads me to believe it is original.
2014 Cal Touring filter

Dave, I am the third owner of a 2014 Moto Guzzi 1400 California with 20,000 miles on it. I just pulled the fuel pump while waiting for a new filter from Todd. Surprisingly, the filter in the tank was an all-metal Mahle KL145 like your photo in Post #11, not a funky half-plastic one. The 14.03.13 date stamped on the filter, presumably meaning March 14, 2013, leads me to believe it is original.

Thanks for the confirmation!

View attachment 21894

@Pete BoBeet

Mine is 2014 Cal1400 with VIN ending in 000050 so it must be one of the early builds.

How easy it is to remove that fuel pump from tank? I am nearing 6k miles and going to perform service soon so planning to take it out first to see and if I see that half metal half plastic then I will be ordering all metal filter from Todd.

Is there any document or diy thread available on this site? I couldn't land any on my search

@Pete BoBeet

Mine is 2014 Cal1400 with VIN ending in 000050 so it must be one of the early builds.

How easy it is to remove that fuel pump from tank? I am nearing 6k miles and going to perform service soon so planning to take it out first to see and if I see that half metal half plastic then I will be ordering all metal filter from Todd.

Is there any document or diy thread available on this site? I couldn't land any on my search

Hi, BayareaEMT. My VIN ends in 112331 so your bike is much earlier, indeed. It was really easy to remove the fuel pump. I had to be a little bit careful getting it out past the fuel level float. There IS a bunch of information about
@Pete BoBeet

Hi, BayareaEMT. As you have discovered, there is a lot of information in several threads about the fuel pump removal; I did the same search last week. For me the pump was easy to remove, I just had to be careful about getting it past the float for the fuel gauge.

Back