• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2001 MG California Special

Dimi Pana

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello, brand new to this forum, here's my (quick) story with Guzzis. I had a V7 stone back in 2013 to which I never warmed up, so I ended up selling it, and stayed ...bike-less for 3 years, 'till I recently found and purchased a 2001 California Special, so I am interested to learn more about this bike.

By learning "more" I mean beyond the usual, trivial stuff I can already read in the manual, or the many reviews from the early 2000s still available online. I believe it is a Tonti frame but I am confused as far as the many different iterations of the California, i.e. EV, Sport, Jackal, etc. I am especially interested in finding custom work, mods, known issues and proven fixes/improvements, etc, you know, the usual stuff.

Where do I start? For one, I'd love to see a picture of your Cali (I am posting mine) and hear what you love (or ...not) about this bike. Suggestions about upgrades, parts and accessories will be highly appreciated, as well as info RE: hooking up with fellow Guzzi riders in my area (zip 60016).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Attachments

• Moto Guzzi California Special.jpg
    Moto Guzzi California Special.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 23
Hi Dimi, congrats and welcome to the GT Forum and back to the Guzzi Famiglia. Love to get your info on the Registry here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/bb-tonti-registry-and-pic-thread.12601/ - along with any prior owner's info if you have it.

Yes, the Cal Special, if like the pic your posted, was known as a Bassa. The Bassa started the "newer" California 1100 line in '99/00. Then the Jackal along with the EV Tour. From there it's a long list of names of color options and cosmetic trims, all the same bike through ~2006 when they launched the California Vintage (only - all other models dropped).

Yes it's a wonderful "big block" Tonti frame. Not a ton of info out there for mods beyond the basics, but here's the history with mine I purchased from new; https://archive.guzzitech.com/thebikes/ToddsJackal.html

Enjoy and post often.

Hi Todd and thanks for the welcome! Most people refer to that bike as Special but when I was looking for parts some places indeed call it the Bassa (which in Italian is the feminine adjective for low). Now I wouldn't call my bike low but what do i know. Anyway, I already run into a small problem, my speedometer cable broke (actually the mandrel inside) and I though I can just replace that but I have to get the entire outer cable with a new mandrel and replace the old one. Just the mandrel would have been an easy job, now it looks like I have to take the tank off, remove the saddle perhaps even the battery to get access, is there a turorial somewhere here in the forum I can look this procedure up. The part is available from MG Cycles , I live close so no sweatm but I was hoping someone could post the steps how to do that repair. Thanks in advance! (btw, a very impressive transformation of your Jackal, I am really humbled!), Ciao!

Remove the seat then the tank. You shouldn't need to remove the battery, but it would give you more room. Just follow the original routing of the cable and you will be fine.

Dimi, There is alot of Guzzi's around N.IL. 1st Sat of the month in DeKalb, IL monthly breakfast at 9AM Junction Restaurant on Rt38 just past the College. Sometimes there's 100 bikes. Been going on since 1984. All brands welcome.
I lived in DeKalb Co most my life.

Ι live in Des Plaines IL, a nice ride to DeKalb and Junction restaurant point, so September meeting is on the 7th correct? I hope I can make it. Thanks for letting me know!

Dimi, There is alot of Guzzi's around N.IL. 1st Sat of the month in DeKalb, IL monthly breakfast at 9AM Junction Restaurant on Rt38 just past the College. Sometimes there's 100 bikes. Been going on since 1984. All brands welcome.
I lived in DeKalb Co most my life.

Thanks, initially I though using the same outer cable and just feeding the mandrel from the speedo side. then I realized that the original mandrel broke because the cable was routed the wrong way and had a ...bad turn, so the mandrel was (probablly) rubbing against its casing. Now I wanted to just disconnect the cable from the transmission side tape the new one at the end and slowly feed it without having to remove seat, tank, possibly battery. I just want to ride not pretend I am a mechanic cause I am not. Am I way too off here? Can't hurt to try, right? If it gets stuck well, I know what to do. Cheers!

Remove the seat then the tank. You shouldn't need to remove the battery, but it would give you more room. Just follow the original routing of the cable and you will be fine.

Correct the 7th. They hang around kicking tyres for long time before going riding.

There is most likely a service manual in the download section if you want to look at pics on how it goes.
That is in the Resources section.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hint about the service manual, I 'll check it. OK I might go next Sat, you are not still in DeKalb are you? Your avatar says Atlanta, GA (LOL)

Correct the 7th. They hang around kicking tyres for long time before going riding.

There is most likely a service manual in the download section if you want to look at pics on how it goes.
That is in the Resources section.

Hey guys, I need a little help. The speedo cable/mandrel came today but it needs some assembly on the end that goes in the transmission. Can you check the pics and let me know if this is the correct way the parts slide onto the outer cable? That's the only logical way IMO but checking nevertheless. Also that copper thingy (don't know what it's called) does it need to just slide on the cable coil or do I have to pre-crimp it so that it goes on snug? Alas, when I was removing the original (broken) cable I was careless and the end came apart without seeing how it is put together. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20190828_151733.jpg
    IMG_20190828_151733.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190828_151819.jpg
    IMG_20190828_151819.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 6
Have the collet loose on the metal cable. Press the cable in as far as it will go then slide the nut and collet down. The collet then clamps the cable in place once you tighten the nut.

Thank you guys! Now I get it, basically it works (almost) the same like those copper compression fittings in plumbing.

Btw, the part came from MG Cycles in WI but I did not receive it in a branded sealed plastic instead in came wrapped in a carton paper and only the cap, collet and rubber boot were in a small ziplock bag. OK this is not a critical part but if it were sitting open like that on a self for who knows how long should I worry about the mandrel lubrication having dried out? And if yes, if I put a little oil inside the cable I should be OK correct?

Thank you John, a little oil can't hurt, btw, I was discussing this with a friend who is from the UK and instead of "collet" he calls it a "ferrule".
(I've heard someone once say, the US and UK is pretty much the same people, separated by an ocean and a ...common language!)

Hey, I did replace the speedo cable and found a lazy-smart way to do it (eg without removing the tank just the right side cover and the seat). Basically I used a length of flexible electrical wire (12 gauge) attached with tape to the old speedo cable so when that was pulled out the electrical wire followed its path, then attached the new speedo cable and slowly pulled it back in place using the electrical wire ...in reverse. Just like electricians (I am not) fish wires through conduit from box to box. I was done in like 15 minutes, it probably took me half an hour before that trying to figure out how and if I should attempt removing the tank. So far so good, it works, planning some nice rides this weekend (yeah!!!) Have a nice (labor) weekend everybody!

Hey, I did replace the speedo cable and found a lazy-smart way to do it (eg without removing the tank just the right side cover and the seat). Basically I used a length of flexible electrical wire (12 gauge) attached with tape to the old speedo cable so when that was pulled out the electrical wire followed its path, then attached the new speedo cable and slowly pulled it back in place using the electrical wire ...in reverse. Just like electricians (I am not) fish wires through conduit from box to box. I was done in like 15 minutes, it probably took me half an hour before that trying to figure out how and if I should attempt removing the tank. So far so good, it works, planning some nice rides this weekend (yeah!!!) Have a nice (labor) weekend everybody!

O CHEERS LEONARDO DICAPRIO 570

Ηello, I hope everyone is doing fine, and for those in the US hope you had a relaxing and enjoyable Labor Day weekend. I sure put a few hundred miles on my 2001 California Special and now I have two questions to ask:

1. I definitely have a little shimmy, wobbling, "tank slapper", etc of the front end at around 55 mph but only when I close the throttle in 5th gear!? Any other combination of speed, throttle position and gear and there is no problem at all. I have checked all the usual stuff, steering bearing, wheels, alignment, tire pressure, front/back suspension etc, so last thing I need to check is the tires. Both are in good shape, lots of tread, but they are 6+ years old and I think (not 100% sure) the front might have developed a little cupping issue from sitting too long with the previous owner. Should I try a new front first and see if the situation improves. Also, I noticed the bike has a steering stabilizer (damper) is it possible that after 19 years it needs to be replaced? I always thought dampers are a ..."band-aid" and AFAIK the Tonti frame is impervious to such issues. E.g. the California should NOT be having wobbling issues, provided there is not a defective item on board. But which? Ideally I like to ride without a damper. What is your opinion?

2. This is easy: I need if anyone has a California to send me a picture how to route the cables from the handlebar around/under the instrument panel. Somehow in mine the all cross over the key hole making it very difficult to insert and remove the key. Plus the clutch and throttle cables are rubbing against the aluminum instrument panel and getting chaffed. There are only two easily accessible allen bolts that I removed and the entire panel is off, so now I have to figure out what is the best way to route the cables. Can anyone help with pictures?

Thank you so much!

Replace both tires with a match set. Once tires are 5 years old they should be discarded no matter how much tread remains or how they look. Take a closer look at the steering head bearings. After sitting that much you could have an issue you haven't detected. Guzzi is infamous for not applying enough grease to bearings so you may have had some corrosion set it. Another possibility is a weak shock on the back can cause what you are experiencing. If everything else checks good, new shocks could be in order.

Back