• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Guzzi 850 T5 Cafe Racer Project

Well, received the 3D Printed clamps the other day so have positioned the headlight as it should be.
Am still missing a few bits and bobs, but the idea is there. I needed a very fine clamp to hold the headlight as the tank comes super close to the forks when turning. These will do perfect for now and look the part I think!

Here some shots

IMG 20190624 185825 IMG 20190624 185439

Have also given the frame a bit of a touch up so it doesn't go rusty. I will probably have it powder coated in a year or two when I do Stage 2! I'm no expert at painting, but tried to do the best I could for what it's worth! hehe

IMG 20190625 174012 IMG 20190625 195507

Well mate. I'm afraid you were totally correct. Went for what must have been a maximum 6km ride and got back with oil pouring out, so will have to find another solution.

Would you be so kind as to explain a little better your solution. I have looked for the Agostini Competition breather and the price is ridiculous at 130€ approx...!!

Hope you can give me a hand, all the best,
Jake

Hi. Your breather will piss oil as soon as you go on a long ride. I recommend a breather from a T3/Lemans or Agostini Competition breather and plumb the oil return line down to the sump drain plug. Guzzi push a lot of oil out of the crankcase.....Good luck

Screw it, I bit the bullet and went for the Angostini, found a good price on Stain Dinse with quick postage so bought that and a new ball valve just in case.

Once again thanks for your help guzzigray!

Well mate. I'm afraid you were totally correct. Went for what must have been a maximum 6km ride and got back with oil pouring out, so will have to find another solution.

Would you be so kind as to explain a little better your solution. I have looked for the Agostini Competition breather and the price is ridiculous at 130€ approx...!!

Hope you can give me a hand, all the best,
Jake

Pipes

Unfortunately the Lafranconi I wanted are out of stock in pretty much the whole of Europe as far as I can see, so in the meantime I went for some cheap tips off Aliexpress, however they are just to noisy, so have mounted the stock exhausts for now. Patience is a virtue they say...

Here some shots

IMG 20190703 194432 IMG 20190704 183956

Hi to all and sorry for not posting!

I have been trying out the bike last couple of days. Had some problems with the Oil breather. Ended up buying 2 different models: the Angostini as someone mentioned, and then a smaller version from an older bike.
The smaller version does not work, ended up pissing oil all over the place and did a lovely mess... Agostini works the treat however will have to chop it up a little as ideally it goes where I have the M-Unit...

Anyhow here are some pics of the bike, went for a little 20km ride and all seems fine (lost a few screws for sure). It will need to be carburated as am having some problems with the idle and revs not going down once the bike is warm. If anyone knows what that could be I'm all ears!!

Ride safe and hope you like how the bike is coming along,
Jake

IMG 20190731 132657 IMG 20190731 132909 IMG 20190731 WA0001

Hi to all and sorry for not posting!

I have been trying out the bike last couple of days. Had some problems with the Oil breather. Ended up buying 2 different models: the Angostini as someone mentioned, and then a smaller version from an older bike.
The smaller version does not work, ended up pissing oil all over the place and did a lovely mess... Agostini works the treat however will have to chop it up a little as ideally it goes where I have the M-Unit...

Anyhow here are some pics of the bike, went for a little 20km ride and all seems fine (lost a few screws for sure). It will need to be carburated as am having some problems with the idle and revs not going down once the bike is warm. If anyone knows what that could be I'm all ears!!

Ride safe and hope you like how the bike is coming along,
Jake

View attachment 17675 View attachment 17676 View attachment 17677
So issues with idle and revs not dropping when warm. This is almost certain to be the chokes. Dellorto don't actuallly have a choke as such but a different circuit through carbie that make for a richer mixture. Anyhow if the plunger that seals this leaks then the rich circuit stays on a bit and this tends to lead to the idle running away when warmed up. Easy fixed. Get a seal kit for carbs. Pull them to bit and replace all the rubber bits. Only problem is the standard kit doesn't come with the choke plunger seals... I think I succeeded with a couple of small o rings in place. Other advice says carefully pry the seal out and flip it over.....

Stunning and beautiful bike!
How does the bike runns with the shorter wheelbase and 17" front wheel...
I`m up to putting CBR900RR fork with 17" wire wheel to my bike with custom made top yokes, but I dont know how if the bike comes very nervous

Cheers
From Gran Canaria

Last edited:
Stunning and beautiful bike!
How does the bike runns with the shorter wheelbase and 17" front wheel...
I`m up to putting CBR900RR fork with 17" wire wheel to my bike with custom made top yokes, but I dont know how if the bike comes very nervous

Cheers
From Gran Canaria

Hola Compañero!

Unfortunately I had to sell the bike, and didn't get to ride it a lot. What I can say is that the steering turning travel is much shorter due to the handlebars touching the tank, and you need quite a few manoeuvres to say turn out of a parking spot.
However handling was pretty good, as these forks are much better, and well you can adjust them either in height by moving them up or down, or in stiffness.

I hope that helps you out a little, feel free to ask for any further questions and I'll gladly try and resolve them.

Now that I'm at it I will post a few photos of how it looked before they took her away.

As mentioned to our colleague here, I ended up selling the bike, and she went all the way to Germany. It's much easier to homologate over there, so I guess she will be on the road with no problems!

Anyhow, here are two photos of her before she left, just in case anyone is curious to see what the close to end result was like:

IMG 20200123 140359

IMG 20200123 145956

And, as much as I tried to stay of the 2 wheels for a while, a mate of mine bought a Buell, and he offered me to have a go on it... Silly me I did, and well, one thing lead to another.... and I ended up with one of these!

DSC 0541

So I'm still in the Guzzi business, just now I went the down the easy route, that is all! haha

Ride safe everyone, and thanks for following the build!

All the best,
Jake

Help me with this "had to sell the bike" and then have a Griso ? 1/2 decade building this bike
and it's gone ! I don't understand this at all . Peter

Help me with this "had to sell the bike" and then have a Griso ? 1/2 decade building this bike
and it's gone ! I don't understand this at all . Peter

Hello Peter. I'm glad that you asked. I will explain my reasoning beneath:

Unfortunately there were two solid reasons I decided to part with the Project bike.
1. I had reached the peek of my knowledge to work on the bike. After that I would have had to find a professional to do the remaining work, and that defeated the purpose of the Project Bike aspect. I was doing it as a Hobby in my limited free time. So the important part of the Project was the journey, and not the destination (if that makes sense).
2. In Spain it was a nightmare to get the bike back on the road do to very harsh homologation rulings. Doing so is possible (in the most part), but very expensive, not to say extortionate.

You see I had quite a severe accident a few years ago, and that put me off riding later on in my life. I shifted my taste towards cars instead. The Guzzi Project was more of an entertainment than anything else, so the main purpose was the Project itself and the distraction it gave me in my free time.

The Griso has been a recent impulsive purchase, after trying my friends Buell. I was looking for an easy going bike that felt safe and was for just riding along. To my surprise it packs a punch! More than I was expecting, as I had in mind an easy going bike like the Buell. However I'm thrilled with it, as its such a beautiful bike to ride and look at.

Well, I hope that helps you better understand my reasoning, and you don't feel like I made a mistake! haha

All the best,
Jake

Last edited:
Hi all,

I´m the lucky guy that bought the project and managed to get it on the road here in Germany. here some pics how it looks now.

Man what a lucky guy!!! hehe

Glad you posted here to show the progress on the bike! She is looking great.

Ride safe and please keep posting, all the best,
Jake

Back