• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7iii Agostini engine bars

grame

Tuned and Synch'ed
I had a set attached to my new Stone and noticed that the right-side is very close to the cylinder head while the left side has a two inch gap. This seems odd in that the right cylinder head is actually set more forward than the left.
Then I noticed something similar in the video for Todd's glorious Racer that's for sale in the thread linked below (although there are no pictures or shots of the the left side to compare...)

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gtm-v7iii-racer-820r-now-for-sale.17698/#post-145117

I was intending to see if I could get it adjusted to even out the space - but this other example seems to suggest it is intentional.

Any one else install these and come across this?

Hmmm may be due to the cylinder heads being offset from one another. If looking from top down one will appear 'ahead' of the other.
Blew my mind when I was told this!

Same story on BMW's also :)

Yes, this came as a surprise to me also when a mechanic pointed it out!

The weird thing about the Agostini bars is that they appear to sit unevenly - one side almost touching and the other (which is the more set back of the two cylinders) with lots of space. The supplier insists this is normal, and it did look similarly near to the cylinder in the video of Todd's 820 racer... But no-one seems to have fitted these so it's hard to compare.

If you want the engine guards to be symmetrical with respect to the motorcycle chassis, which most people do because it seems unbalanced when they aren't, the bars will always be closer to the cylinder head on the right than to the cylinder head on the left. This is because the cylinders are necessarily offset by about 35mm along the length of the engine ...

That's because that's how far apart the connecting rod centers are on the crankshaft.

The only way for the bars to be otherwise is to have an asymmetrical bend that allows more room on the one side than the other.

I understand that. But my issue is the bars seem to also bend more on the right-hand side - thus sitting 2 mm from the cylinder. This seems so small as to undermine their very purpose in that the insanely small gap leaves little room for the bar to flex in the eventuality of an impact. The picture from above shows how the right bar bends back further than the left...

Attachments

• Guzz1.jpg
    Guzz1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 79
  • Guzz2.jpg
    Guzz2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 77
I understand that. But my issue is the bars seem to also bend more on the right-hand side - thus sitting 2 mm from the cylinder. This seems so small as to undermine their very purpose in that the insanely small gap leaves little room for the bar to flex in the eventuality of an impact. The picture from above shows how the right bar bends back further than the left...

It's hard to tell from the photo. The bar is quite close but it clears. If you wanted to bend it out a little bit, I think you'd find it would take quite a lot of force to make it move at all.

In my experience, it's better that it sits close to the engine. The problem is that, if there's a good bit of space between the bar and the engine, the force of the bike hitting the bar on the ground can cause it to bend and pick up a good bit of speed in those milliseconds such that it then smacks into the cylinder with enough force to cause damage by itself. If the bar is close the engine, on the other hand, it might deflect that short distance and just lay against the cylinder, absorbing the blows without any further damage to the cylinder. In most of the get-offs I've seen where these bars that are supposed to protect the engine actually defect enough to hit it, the ones that are close to the engine show less damage to the bike than the ones that stand off a further distance.

Most of the damage avoidance they provide, actually, is in simple drops and fall overs in parking lot situations. And in those situations, the guard bar rarely hits the ground with enough force to move at all: It just prevents the blow from being taken by the engine or cylinder head cover. In higher speed crashes, they only rarely do much besides bend into the engine and sit there, and damage can occur whether they do or not.

Presuming that the bar is sitting enough distance from the engine that it doesn't contact it in any kind of normal riding use, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's hard to tell from the photo. The bar is quite close but it clears. If you wanted to bend it out a little bit, I think you'd find it would take quite a lot of force to make it move at all.

In my experience, it's better that it sits close to the engine. The problem is that, if there's a good bit of space between the bar and the engine, the force of the bike hitting the bar on the ground can cause it to bend and pick up a good bit of speed in those milliseconds such that it then smacks into the cylinder with enough force to cause damage by itself. If the bar is close the engine, on the other hand, it might deflect that short distance and just lay against the cylinder, absorbing the blows without any further damage to the cylinder. In most of the get-offs I've seen where these bars that are supposed to protect the engine actually defect enough to hit it, the ones that are close to the engine show less damage to the bike than the ones that stand off a further distance.

Most of the damage avoidance they provide, actually, is in simple drops and fall overs in parking lot situations. And in those situations, the guard bar rarely hits the ground with enough force to move at all: It just prevents the blow from being taken by the engine or cylinder head cover. In higher speed crashes, they only rarely do much besides bend into the engine and sit there, and damage can occur whether they do or not.

Presuming that the bar is sitting enough distance from the engine that it doesn't contact it in any kind of normal riding use, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you for such a considered response! You have put my mind at rest.

I have the same bars, same issue. Additionally though the alignment of the bolt holes was a real problem. Much cursing and grunting but got them on in the end. Wouldn't want to be without them. Agreed, if you take a big crash, a bit of steel wacking the cyl heads/rocker covers/block is probably of minor concern in the scheme of things!

Glad to hear you got them on in the end. The vendor confirmed with Agostini that the offset is intended and that they have crash-tested them. He also thinks they use them on their hire bikes. Happily mine have yet to be called into action. I got them dealer-fitted from new so avoided any fitting issues.

I'm looking into crash bars for my V7, does anyone know if the GIVI TN8202 Crash Bars "work" and "fit" better than the Agostini Crash Bars or vice/versa for a 2018 V7 III Carbon?
I have read about the offset engine head clearance on the left and right sides and horn removal / replacement?
Looking for more fit and finish than to modify, although if necessary I am open to it.

Back