• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake recall

john zibell

Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
I came across this today. ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/08/14/moto-guzzi-and-aprilia-recalls-due-to-unexpected-braking-issues/

Piaggio Group Announces Moto Guzzi and Aprilia Recalls on Unexpected Slowing, Stopping problem

Piaggio Group Americas. Inc.has recalled various Moto Guzzi and Aprilia motorcycles due to braking issues that will cause the bikes to unexpectedly slow down or stop.

Included in the recall are the following models:
  • 2016-2018 Moto Guzzi Audace 1400 and Eldorado 1400
  • 2017-2018 Moto Guzzi California 1400
  • 2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 Bagger
Piaggio says up to 1,701 motorcycles are affected by the recall.

The recall was triggered due to a problem with the front brake master cylinder that may cause the front brake drag or apply, causing the motorcycle to unexpectedly slow down or stop completely without activating the rear brake light.

The defect notice describes the cause of the problem this way, “The front brake master cylinder may not have sufficient ineffective lever stroke (ineffective stroke = initial part of the lever stroke which does not cause braking effect).”

It goes on to describe the warning symptoms that may indicate the problem: “If the vehicle is stopped it will be difficult to move by hand with the gearbox in the neutral position. If the vehicle is running it will progressively slow down, or will require opening the throttle to maintain speed.”

Piaggio will notify owners, and dealers will inspect, and if necessary, replace the front brake master cylinder free of charge. The recall is expected to begin August 13, 2019. Owners may contact Piaggio customer service at 1-212-380-4433. Piaggio’s number for this recall is PA2ZZQ1904.

Owners affected by the Moto Guzzi and Aprilia recalls may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov . The NHTSA campaign number is 19V561000.

I got this notification in the mail, too. The front brake lever feel on my Audace seems like it has too much freeplay :((at least as compared to my previously owned V11Sport). Is this an artifact of the ABS system?

I experienced this behavior 1st hand on my Centauro many years ago after trying to improve the feeling on the front brakes. I removed the epoxy on the threaded adjuster and screwed it in one "click"...it improved feel, but also did not allow the heated fluid to escape back to the master cylinder when the lever was released fully. Jeez...I guess that's why the epoxy was there:D...

I wonder if this is the tradeoff to have "stylish" master cylinders? I'd rather just replace them for more responsive units intended for more Sporty models...

I never got this notification in the mail and I ask my dealer to have the bike fixed and he said there is no replacement parts yet.

Does anyone know how the dealer tests for the problem? Also my dealer said the following. “If you bring it in and it needs a new master cylinder you cannot take the motorcycle with you.” Yes they actually said that.

Does anyone know how the dealer tests for the problem? Also my dealer said the following. “If you bring it in and it needs a new master cylinder you cannot take the motorcycle with you.” Yes they actually said that.
That's because the recall is related to a key safety component (the brakes) If there's a fault and they let you ride it away, they would be negligent.

I understand the liability issue. It just struck me funny in a Big Brother kind of way.

Got my Audace carbon checked last week. Took around 15 mins.
I guess at least 95% of the bikes won't have any problems, but since it's a safety issue they're obliged to check all the bikes...

Got my Audace carbon checked last week. Took around 15 mins.
I guess at least 95% of the bikes won't have any problems, but since it's a safety issue they're obliged to check all the bikes...
that what I thought. I got notice in the mail also. No problems with my Audace so I'm just gonna wait until I need service.

My 2016 Audace passed last weekend. Took maybe an hour or hour and a half from the time I pulled in. Not sure as I just sat down at a table they have and read a book. No clue what they did to actually test it, most of the time was probability them waiting for an open bay to pull it into.

My 2016 Audace passed last weekend. Took maybe an hour or hour and a half from the time I pulled in. Not sure as I just sat down at a table they have and read a book. No clue what they did to actually test it, most of the time was probability them waiting for an open bay to pull it into.
They don't know what to do, just like my dealer.

My Eldorado passed muster, the tech says they take off the RF caliper put a wedge into the pads area then a feeler gauge into the back of the MC piston if the wedge pulls free after the MC feeler gauge is removed then the system is good, took about 45 mins

Back