• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 Griso wheel hub seal

Icho

Just got it firing!
Hey guys, i am new to the forum and Moto Guzzi motorcycles!
I just bought 2013 Griso with 1600 miles on it...it sat in the garage for a year (long story) and i just started riding it...and after 20 miles my rear wheel seal started leaking...

my question is, is this normal? for that mileage..or maybe because its been sitting for that long?

and also any input or trick to replace it...i think i can do it, i got some mechanical experience :)

Thank you!

A 13 would have been made w/old seals from 2012, so, 7yrs old seals. I'd swap oil too. Easy swap, pry one out and push a new one in. Find something round to tap it in with like an oil filter cup.
Got to take off wheel, brake caliper, tin CARC cover.

I recently did the seal on my Breva 1100 and used this as a guide: advrider.com/f/threads/changing-the-final-drive-seal.359403/

I couldn't pry out the old seal and had to drill a small hole in the seal and screw in a self-tapper to drag out the seal. I used a piece of wood across the new seal to tap it evenly into place.

carc-collage.jpg

Thank you guys for the tips...i am still waiting for the seal to come....from Italy :)))

i will update once i change it...i got fresh oil too.
I bought Amsoil products for the CARC, and i hope i am not wrong..i use Amsoil for my semi trucks and i am super happy with it!

and Yes the bike is made jan 2013 so i guess it might be with 2012 seals.

I finally replaced it! 6 weeks waiting for that seal! That is crazy!
Anyway, i followed the advices and it was really easy to replace!
But! I drained almost 200ml of oil... very clean! I read that i have to put 380ml... so i got some Amsoil oil and i filled it to the bottom thread of the oil plug.
I drove it like 20 miles and there was very small amount of oil on the rim! I wiped it and let it sit for 1hr. Came back and it was dry!
Again drive it for 20 miles...same thing...rim was with some oil on it, but nothing crazy!
CARC bottom was dry! Its coming from the seal..i was able to see it!
Took some oil off..like 10ml and i will try it again for 10-20 miles...
I dont know if this is excess of oil coming out or.. bad seal... overfilled?
Do i need to have some weight on the bike while i fill it or not?
Any suggestions?

Make sure vent is open. Some CARC's only like 350cc. Stand bike upright on it's wheels to check.
I use Molykote #55 oring lube on all seals, it tightens them up, it also softens up old seals. $30 a tube but worth it. Blow some in seal w/air.
It could also just have a piece of dirt in it and it'll clean up.

I will try... looks like its doing it when i rev it up... higher speeds- 70mph plus..
Its not dripping, but it sprays the wheel a little bit every time when i drive it and it drives me nuts!
I will keep you guys posted!

Thanks for the advice!

Today i replaced the oil again...i put 360ml back and it was filled almost to the bottom thread.
i drove it slow - 40-50mph and after 2 miles i checked...dry, all good!
then i pushed to 60-70-80mph and after 20 miles...it had few drops on the rim...
drove back again 20-25 miles..again 60mph+ and the rim had more wet spots...
i checked the maintenance records...the odd thing is that this bike had CARC job done from the dealer while in warranty - 3 years ago..seals, bearings all changed!
As i mentioned above - i bought it from a guy on 1600miles and he said that it was sitting in the garage for 2 years...too busy to ride!
then it sat in mine for 1year...
So now, afer i changed the Wheel seal its not leaking like before...but its not supposed to leak at all!
As Mackers posted the pictures how he did his seal...i started to think...maybe i did something wrong!
Here is my question - does the seal supposed to be flush with the CARC or pushed all the way in...against the bearing?
His picture shows that is flush....and i pushed it all the way down till it stops!

please help...i am in love with this bike but every single drop drives me crazy!

Thank you in advance!

Flush is correct. I suggest you check the surface the seal is riding on as well as for wheel play that would indicate bearing wear/failure. If there is a line where the seal rides, move the seal a couple mm further in. If the surface is rough or uneven that is a completely different issue.

Update!
I drained like 30-40ml and i tested it.
The bike was cold, first ride for the day!
I drove it 60-80mph and for 10 miles...all good, not a single spot on the rim!
I got excited, and i turned on back home...and again 60-80mph (80mph for few seconds because its more than the speed limit) and when i got home...i got some spots on the rim...i went nuts! Drained 10ml more and i let it stay overnight! Will check the level tomorrow to see if its low, but i dont think so!
I ordered one more seal just in case (29$ - not a big deal) and i will take the wheel off to see how the seal is looking now!
I dig up some paperwork and i found out that they did some job on the CARC few hundred miles ago! (Also 3years ago too) see attached!
I thought about the bearing too...but this bike is less than 2000miles and the CaRC oil is clean as water! No shavings on the drain plug magnet...nothing...but i will check for freeplay anyway!
But after today’s test i think that probably its very sensitive about how many ML oil is in the CARC...
Also checked the breather...looks brand new!

Attachments

• DE19E2A1-D2C3-4046-A97C-CF3685D400AC.jpeg
    DE19E2A1-D2C3-4046-A97C-CF3685D400AC.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 10
I thought about it...I am about to get some 80W90 mineral.
i think that i messed up when i installed the new seal! i pushed it all the way down towards the bearing...and by doing that i decreased the space in the CARC for oil....then i filled it...but i didn't thought about that...and i guess the oil inside was more..so that is why its leaking...when it gets hot and because the seal is closer to the bearing...its trying to get out...

this is what I think, i don't know if i am right...but still i will change the seal anyway when it arrives - 2 weeks from now i hope!

Thank you!

Depth of seal shouldn't make significant difference in oil level. When you get the leaking seal out do carefully inspect the area where the seal rides.

Update! I am still waiting for the new seal to come ( i am in europe) but meanwhile another leak came out!
I think its coming from the plastic box but I am not sure! its very clear oil - maybe transmission...any ideas?

Today I replaced the CARC oil with Motul 80w90 and I will test drive it tomorrow...we will see what will happen...

Attachments

• moto1.jpg
    moto1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 14
  • moto2.jpg
    moto2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 15
since I have the bike I haven't touch the oil - and the bike has only 2000 miles...
also its 2013 and I don't think somebody did oil change on it! Its very clean and clear!
because the season is almost over I decided to run it like that and make oil change next year when the weather allows :)
OK I will try to drop a little bit of oil and we will see what happens

Thanks

Back