• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

[Florida V65 1992] Problem with ECU/CDI unit

Grimshaw

Just got it firing!
Hello guys, this is my first post in the forum, so greetings to everyone! I am a proud owner of a Florida V65 (1992) since recently and I hit a problem I am having trouble with, keeping it in the garage.

The bike was running fine otherwise, but I noticed that once it got warm from a few miles the engine would start misfiring (mostly on idle), so whenever I stopped at a red light it would stall in a few seconds if I didn't rev it. I thought it was the carbs for a while but while tuning them I noticed the left plug didn't have a proper spark, which led me down the rabbit hole of testing the ignition.

First thing I noticed was the ignition coil on the misfiring side was getting really hot, while the other was at a neutral temperature. In fact, it gets hot just by turning the key and not turning on the engine. I tested the right side coil and 2 others I had around and they all get hot just the same, but all these coils work fine in the right side.

So I thought it had to be a faulty CDI unit, I got the two I could find (used Motoplat ones which ran in a similar bike). The left side CDI in the bike was already a similar Motoplat one when I got the bike, while the right one is different and has a white stamp with moto guzzi branding on it.

Though, I tried all these 3 motoplat CDI and they all give me the same result, the coil keeps getting boiling hot. As reference for the installation I was looking into this diagram:
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi...OZtKV8D--c3XiubseZjJ92uxCfXZHf7sauy-kmMdrJ1yA

From the diagram two things aren't clear to me at all: On the right cdi, the red wire splits into a small cylinder (which seems to be a resistor), which was grounded in the bike chassis, but on the diagram its connection seems to go into the right coil??

The other aspect is that part of the circuit relating to the left coil red wire, which goes into some other component before returning to the right coil.

Can anyone please shed some light on what could be happening here and help me interpret the diagram??

It seems you have replaced everything except the coil that was misfiring. I'd try that first. If you have already and didn't state that then in may be a faulty ignition control module.

I actually tried permuting the components to see what worked with what and all the coils seem to work provided they are connected to the non-motoplat CDI. That allows me to shift the problem from left to right as well

I could not find the original CDI so I have 3 motoplat ones that according to online reference, are compatible with moto guzzi v65 and the motorcycle came to my hands running on one..

To put it very practically, on my left side, once I turn on the ignition switch, the ignition coil starts getting current and heating up, continuously. Considering such a coil discharges when the current is cut off, I do have a confirming symptom to this: Unplugging the left CDI causes the spark plug to fire and burn any leftover gas in the cylinder. (All of this without turning the engine on at all).

So, the coil is clearly getting current when it shouldn't, which seems to me like a problem in resistances (maybe grounds as well) or something about the circuit is just wrong.

Is it generally safe to connect multiple ground wires to the same slot in the chassis? Can someone explain me what I think is named a ballast resistor from the diagram?

Also, I wonder if the Pickup itself could be a cause here? I'd say no because if I swap the CDI's, I swap the problem to the other side, which probably indicates both connections of the pickup are ok.

Doubtful the pickup is the problem. I think you just have to locate a CDI unit that works. Are there any dealers in your area that might help to locate what you need?

I actually went to the PIAGGIO repair center in my city (it doesn't get more official in my country) and they just told me the capacitor unit is not obtainable anymore.
They told me to just try to find it in the obscure providers, and it's not even the original ones.. So that is what I did

I actually went to the PIAGGIO repair center in my city (it doesn't get more official in my country) and they just told me the capacitor unit is not obtainable anymore.
They told me to just try to find it in the obscure providers, and it's not even the original ones.. So that is what I did

That is unfortunate. You might try breakers (people who salvage parts from bikes) for a used unit, but then there is no guarantee it will be good. Best of luck on finding a unit. If not, the bike may need to be parted out so you can recover some of your investment.

The Motoplat modules were prone to failure. My V65 was converted to old fashioned mechanical points by previous owner, so I'm not sure what's involved with that.
Best of luck.

The Motoplat modules were prone to failure. My V65 was converted to old fashioned mechanical points by previous owner, so I'm not sure what's involved with that.
Best of luck.

That would certainty solve the issue. Probably V50 points plate would do the trick if it can be mounted. I don't know if the cam would need to be changed to operate the points.

Best of luck.

That would do the trick. Probably a V50III points system if it can be mounted. Also I don't know if the cam would have to be changed to operate the points and advance system.

Back