• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Change

after i ride the raider I can't really say cali 1400 is a cruiser - more like a sport/touring bike. but I just love bouncing back and forth between the two. are you keeping both your guzzi and raider?

The Raider is a keeper. I have had it for four years now and like everything about it. The California is the "new kid on the block". It's the first European bike I have owned and am still adjusting to the idiosyncrasies.

(II guess I'll update this thread about the pcracing Flo filter as I just ordered one )

With all the discussion about only having 3 liters of oil during motor oil changes, does anyone drain the oil cooler to flush more of the old fluid out?

To add to the oil discussion, is changing the gearbox oil part of the first service? I'm assuming using Redline's v-twin transmission oil with shockproof would be fine, as I used it with success in my v11 gearbox and final drive.

(II guess I'll update this thread about the pcracing Flo filter as I just ordered one )

With all the discussion about only having 3 liters of oil during motor oil changes, does anyone drain the oil cooler to flush more of the old fluid out?

To add to the oil discussion, is changing the gearbox oil part of the first service? I'm assuming using Redline's v-twin transmission oil with shockproof would be fine, as I used it with success in my v11 gearbox and final drive.

I don't know anyone who has posted to say they drain the oil cooler. Yes gearbox oil is supposed to be changed at first service (see owners manual and picture below), but I change my gearbox oil with each engine oil change as it's cheap and if you're down there anyway with the engine oil, it's no big deal to do both. It also gives you a chance to clean the swarf off the plug magnet

C1400 routine maintenance1 C1400 routine maintenance

Last edited:
Actually it looks like the gearbox oil is virtually on every scheduled service. Thanks for that.
I'll look into draining my oil cooler, unless someone has some technique to purge more oil without disconnecting lines...

Actually it looks like the gearbox oil is virtually on every scheduled service. Thanks for that.
I'll look into draining my oil cooler, unless someone has some technique to purge more oil without disconnecting lines...

Be careful. If you drain the oil from radiator, the only obvious way to get it back in is via the oil pump and filter when you start the engine, it could take a long time for the oil to work it's way through little lot and you could have zero oil pressure (not)lubricating your precious metal bits for quite some time. I know enough people fret about this that they pre-fill their oil filter before screwing it back in - just my 2 cents worth

Speaking of oïl change yesterday I did the oïl change and I had a litle accident in my garage oïl Spill on my front caliper. I cleaned it with varsol, soap and water should I replace the brake pads only one caliper got oïl on. ?

Didier, I think changing pads would be overkill! Just degrease with brake cleaner.

UPDATE: the PC Racing oil filter fit perfectly for anyone thinking about doing it - im happy to say I'll never need to buy any filters ever, all the while getting better filtration, oil flow, and a little extra cooling. Not to mention easier oil changes as you can use a normal wrench on it.
P/N PCS4B (the B probably refers to the color)

Didier, I think changing pads would be overkill! Just degrease with brake cleaner.

UPDATE: the PC Racing oil filter fit perfectly for anyone thinking about doing it - im happy to say I'll never need to buy any filters ever, all the while getting better filtration, oil flow, and a little extra cooling. Not to mention easier oil changes as you can use a normal wrench on it.
P/N PCS4B (the B probably refers to the color)
Thanks , I did not replaced the pads .

Just carried out an engine, gearbox(transmission) and shaft drive, oil change.When I last changed the oil I replaced the filter with an OEM unit from the dealer and also picked up a spare. All good so far.
F2170283 640F 4361 92FB 091E2A38C9F1
The removed filter.
914DD087 977A 4A59 9B13 85C0E1AE0465
My oil filter removal tool.

Unfortunately the “spare” despite being an OEM item also is a different pattern to the one removed i.e. it has flats, which means a different tool will be required when I next carry change the oil.
Just something to be aware of!!
I may well look at the HiFlo filters for the next change.
06548CA7 6A43 41DB 8EE9 71A8BE9ECD6D
My oil of choice.
C0A6ADF4 9906 49A1 9049 735948B5BEF4
Transmission/gearbox and shaft oil.

The new OEM filter I bought at the local dealer (AF1 Racing) is different that the one in my bike and pictured above. The new filter uses a 74mm/14 flute wrench.

I had the sump off a while back when I stripped the sump plug, I wouldn't worry too much about draining every last drop because there is around 100ml that gets stuck behind the filter housing area anyway that cannot be drained out. Doesn't show up very well in the photo because I used water to measure it.

Attachments

• sump5.jpg
    sump5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 43
  • sump11.jpg
    sump11.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 36
New here, but i always only turn the filter handtight, no need for a wrench or some other tool to take the filter off. Maybe you can try that approach or is it that hard to reach?

New here, but i always only turn the filter handtight, no need for a wrench or some other tool to take the filter off. Maybe you can try that approach or is it that hard to reach?

It is recessed into the sump, cannot be tightened by hand.

Back