• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bought 2013 V7 Stone and now it won't start

kael

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

Last weekend I bought a 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. It had been sitting a while, but the previous owner put in a new battery and it fired up OK. It would run with a low idle and sometimes die without a little rev for the first 5 min of running it after it sat for a bit. The price was right so I ended up going with it.

I rode it ~20 miles that weekend and the gas light came on. I filled it up and rode home. The next day I went to ride to work and it wouldn't start. The fuel pump would prime, but it would just crank and crank (strong cranking, so I don't think it is electrical). I checked the plugs and they were a little gunked, but each gave a spark. I tried starting it with some starter fluid and it fired up for one strong rev, and then would die immediately. This led me to think it was fuel delivery.

I drained the tank, which seems generally clean and free of rust. The gasoline is clear and uncolored. The fuel filter seems a little swollen and the gasoline inside had a fairly off yellow color, so I ordered the full metal replacement. In the meantime I pulled the injectors and soaked the tips in some injector cleaner. I put it all back together with the new filter today, hoping that I had solved it. Same issue. Pump primes, strong crank, never catches. I can still get it to give a rev with the starter fluid. I checked all of the fuses and they seem unbroken. I'm not sure if the injection system has its own relay, but the three under the tank were all the same model number so I swapped them all into the starter relay position-- they all seem to work.

I've tried starting it enough now that the new battery is dead and I am clean out of ideas. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Just a bit of an update: I got a little bit paranoid with the amount of buildup on the spark plugs, so I threw in some new ones for an $8 peace of mind. I also pulled each of the injectors again and tried starting with them outside of the engine. They are both receiving fuel and spraying with some pressure. It does look like more of a 'stream' from each of the aerorators rather than a fine 'mist'. I am used to seeing a stronger, finer spray but am also used to seeing car injectors.

It appears at least that there is fuel, air, and spark getting to the engine.

I also pulled each of the injectors again and tried starting with them outside of the engine. They are both receiving fuel and spraying with some pressure. It does look like more of a 'stream' from each of the aerorators rather than a fine 'mist'.
They must be professionally cleaned and/or rebuilt. Try a local diesel shop or rcfuelinjection.com - else it will likely never run correctly.

I still have to check the compression.

The injectors probably need to be cleaned. Do you think that that would cause the bike not to start, though? Especially that it was running and then all of a sudden not even starting?

Back