• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III noisy clutch

BrettB

Just got it firing!
I'm a new rider so I don't have anything to compare it to but my gear shift seems awfully noisy - a 'clank' when shifting up. Is this normal? Because it's a dry clutch? Or is there some adjustment I should have done? The interesting thing to me is that it is not noisy when I first start out but then quickly becomes 'clanky.'

As always, any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

There is a clutch cable adjustment on the left bar on the lever holder. Peel back the rubber protective piece and see if the adjuster is loose. Every new smallblock since 07 has been loose from factory, that I have seen at 3 different dealers. You need to take up a little slack then lock the adjuster w/lockring. It is covered in manual also under clutch adjustment. Pretty normal to sort this out cause most dealers don't check this.

BTW, the gap at the lever should be about 2mm on the new V7s. Also pre-loading the shifter and not fully squeezing the clutch will give you a smooth shift for both up and down shifts.

There is a clutch cable adjustment on the left bar on the lever holder. Peel back the rubber protective piece and see if the adjuster is loose. Every new smallblock since 07 has been loose from factory, that I have seen at 3 different dealers. You need to take up a little slack then lock the adjuster w/lockring. It is covered in manual also under clutch adjustment. Pretty normal to sort this out cause most dealers don't check this.

Thanks, Steve. This is very good to know. I'll check it out.

BTW, the gap at the lever should be about 2mm on the new V7s. Also pre-loading the shifter and not fully squeezing the clutch will give you a smooth shift for both up and down shifts.

Thanks, John. I didn't know anything about pre-loading before your post. I'm now reading up on this technique and look forward to practicing it.

If you are talking about L/H lever adj on bars? For that you need to run it in for totally loose, then turn in the adjuster on lever on back of trans. Loosen 13mm locknut and go in no more than 1/2 turn. Just enough to take up most the slack at bar lever. Then lock nut in place, holding the nub that sticks out. Now adjust to correct play on bar lever adjuster.

If you are talking about L/H lever adj on bars? For that you need to run it in for totally loose, then turn in the adjuster on lever on back of trans. Loosen 13mm locknut and go in no more than 1/2 turn. Just enough to take up most the slack at bar lever. Then lock nut in place, holding the nub that sticks out. Now adjust to correct play on bar lever adjuster.
thanks for the advice!

thanks for the advice!
Just make sure if you adjust back at the back of the trans that you don't end up adjusting it so that the lever at the back of the trans contacts the frame or swing arm. While you may need to adjust at the back of the trans, you must be careful as it is possible to adjust it wrong. And if the lever ends up contacting the frame or swing arm you could end up toasting your clutch.
Also, some V7's had an issue with the clutch mechanism, there was a bulletin or something about it. Something about a bad thrust bearing or something.

Last edited:
So from reading the steps you mentioned, I'm looking at it like this:
1. Thread the adjuster nut from the clutch lever all the way IN(so it is loose, excessive play)
2. Loosen the 13mm jam nut from the lever behind the engine
3. Tighten the adjuster at least 1/2 a turn(righty tighty)
4. Tighten jam nut while holding onto the adjuster
5. Adjust clearance at the clutch lever
Also should this be done when the engine is hot or cold?

make sure you have a 13 that fits perfectly preferably a box. sometimes they are really tight. you might need to make a tool to grip the flat on the adjuster screw. wash it off with WD40 or something to remove the crud.

You don't have to go 1/2 turn, you don't want to go too much that's all.
You are correct in your post.
I made a tool for the flat adj. Just cut a slot w/die grinder on end of a piece of steel.

You don't have to go 1/2 turn, you don't want to go too much that's all.
You are correct in your post.
I made a tool for the flat adj. Just cut a slot w/die grinder on end of a piece of steel.
Okay got it. So just turn it until I see some slack being taken off from the clutch lever

Back