• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Concerned Prospective Buyer

AK Mike

Just got it firing!
Greetings one and all.

I'm considering joining your ranks and becoming a Guzzi owner. I have admired the bikes for a long time, and I really appreciate the great source of information that all of you have created here... Thank you!

My greatest concern when it comes to making that leap to MG ownership has to do with removal of the rear wheel. I have never owned a shaft drive bike before so there are a few things I need to wrap my head around. But because of where I live and ride (remote Alaska and the Yukon Territory), roadside puncture repairs are a fact of life. I realize that removing exhausts and shocks to get access to the tire are just fine and dandy things to do in the comfort of a home garage, but what about along the roadside in the middle of nowhere, where there is no cell phone reception? I was initially considering the V7 "Special" or "Rough", but maybe having a tubeless model like the "Stone" is wiser? I am also really drawn to the V9 Roamer, even if it's less practical for my location and riding style.

Anyway... what say you good folks when it comes to roadside puncture repairs. Is this a valid worry... especially on a tubed tire?

Many Thanks.

Your concerns are valid especially if the bike you choose doesn't have a center stand. I would go with tubeless as breaking a tire down on the side of the road isn't fun. Been there done that. As a note, changing a rear wheel on a shaft drive is easier than a chain drive.

It sounds like a V85 TT would be well suited to your location. It would open up the possibility of riding thousands of miles of dirt and gravel roads.

The Jackal in my avatar on the left was converted to tubeless a few years ago for the reasons mentioned above.
Changing an innertube on the side of a gravel road is crazy work, and the tools to break the bead and re-seat it (tire levers, small compressor etc)
Over 4 seasons, I had 4 flats. 3 of them fixed easily without wheel removal as they were tubeless (you need 3 cartridges to fill a 180 size rear tire). The 4th flat was on my tubed Jackal (centerstand). Muffler off, rear wheel off. A friendly rider took it all to the nearest cycle shop and had a new tube installed. Took several hours. Where you live it could take a while longer....
Go tubeless.

Thank you all for the replies. And thank you NordicNorm for sharing your experiences... that is EXACTLY what I want to avoid! And Raven, I have thought about the V85... she sure is a beauty. But maybe a bit too big and heavy for where I am now at this stage in my riding. I have done ADV riding in the past, (with a KLR), and I'm not really interested in going back there. But a little bit of touring and puttering around with something light, yet still capable of withstanding some gravel roads is more where I'm at.

I also was wondering is fitting the high "scrambler" exhaust would be worthwhile to avoid messing with removing it in the field. But then it would be difficult to hang panniers...

Anyway...Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back