• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oils...

Tom Prescott

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am an Amsoil guy and need to know what to use in my 8V Griso for the engine, Transmission and differential. Has it changed since back in the day or is there something better. All opinions welcome. :)

What matters is viscosity. Check the owners manual and use the recommended weights. Personally I'm not an Amsoil guy, I tried it and found it lacking, but it is your bike and use what you want.

Up north of the border, I have found Motul 10W60 from an auto parts chain . Synthetic, 5 liter can for a great price.
10W60 seems to be recommended for all the carcs, but do as you like.
Redline gear oil is expensive but peace of mind.....I even use these two in the Jackal.

What matters is viscosity. Check the owners manual and use the recommended weights. Personally I'm not an Amsoil guy, I tried it and found it lacking, but it is your bike and use what you want.

Hey John, I used to run Amsoil in my Jackal and Le Mans III, it came highly recommended from Todd E. Can you tell what you use and why, just looking at options as I just hit 1K. Thanks again, Tom

Hey John, I used to run Amsoil in my Jackal and Le Mans III, it came highly recommended from Todd E. Can you tell what you use and why, just looking at options as I just hit 1K. Thanks again, Tom

OK I will. I tried it in one of my bikes. When I went in to do a valve adjustment the valve rockers and all were completely dry. No oil film. Since most wear is at start up I switched back to Mobil 1. It leaves a good film of oil on the metal bits so no dry starts.

OK I will. I tried it in one of my bikes. When I went in to do a valve adjustment the valve rockers and all were completely dry. No oil film. Since most wear is at start up I switched back to Mobil 1. It leaves a good film of oil on the metal bits so no dry starts.

Thanks for the input John, I've heard good things about Mobil 1.

Going to chime in here, I 'get' the use of synthetic in a high carbon and varnish environment like an engine but...... in transmissions, and I really am looking at carcs here I don't see the point.
Much noise has been made of water ingress in carcs and emulsification.
I believe that it's better to use half the price mineral gear oil and change it as often as the engine oil to keep a weather eye out for contamination rather than to leave it in longer trusting to synth properties and risk not knowing.
Chris.

Going to chime in here, I 'get' the use of synthetic in a high carbon and varnish environment like an engine but...... in transmissions, and I really am looking at carcs here I don't see the point.
Much noise has been made of water ingress in carcs and emulsification.
I believe that it's better to use half the price mineral gear oil and change it as often as the engine oil to keep a weather eye out for contamination rather than to leave it in longer trusting to synth properties and risk not knowing.
Chris.
That is a valid option, use a cheaper mineral based oil and change it more often. But a good synthetic oil can deliver better performance and last longer, even in a transmission or gearbox. I use a better quality oil and change it as often as it needs changing. My version of it is to spend the little bit extra on a better quality oil and change it as often as it needs changing. It is a lot cheaper to change fluids than to have to replace hard parts due to wear.

I usually check and change the oil based on the recommendations of the manufacturer, there is always a maintenance schedule. When checking the oil, if I see signs of it having water contamination, if it smells / looks burnt, or it it shows signs of a change in viscosity, I will change it even if it is not time to change it according to the maintenance schedule. For example, if you have ever smelled burned gear oil you know what I mean. You can smell when gear oil has gotten too hot. It doesn't smell good new, but if it gets too hot it starts smelling even worse.

And then there is the aspect that sometimes I just change a fluid simply because I am not sure about it. I would rather change an oil or fluid that doesn't need to be changed vs leave an oil or fluid in that needs changing. In the long run, oils and fluids are cheap. Even when you buy high end stuff. an extra few bucks here and there is worth it to me. None of the four Guzzi's I own can be replaced off the show room floor. And with what I heard, that Guzzi is only going to support parts for 7 years, I won't even be able to buy parts for any of my Guzzi's. So spending more than I need to on oils and fluids is still better than having something fail due to an oil or fluid issue.

Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you.
I am just not convinced that using full synth in a bevel box is really needed.
The best of fluids is an admiral goal but sometimes a waste.
I have tried 98 RON fuel, expensive, works great but in the end no discernible difference to the much cheaper 95 RON.
Had a Bevel drive for over 250,000km using to quality high spec Penrite mineral oil, never an issue.
So I suppose it gets down to preference.
Oh, and if my CARC ever gets an issue Peter Roper has a mountain of them in the back of his workshop!
Cheers.

Back