• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

It's a bike with lots of low down torque, and it is exhilarating it use it. But this comes at the cost of rear tire wear. Sometimes I can observe my traction light glow momentarily, which means the rear tire is losing traction. Not conducive to long tire life.

Is it any wonder the front tire lasts much longer than the rear? (unless you're also into stoppies?)

I'm on my third rear tire and second front.

Approaching 11k Mikes

1st 2 rear tires good for apprix 3,750 miles, 6,035 kms, each. To be fair 2nd was punctured by a sharp rock in a construction zone.
3rd Metzler 888 is approaching 3,750 looks like it's got about 2k miles left in it.

1st front replaced at approx 7,500k miles, probably had about 1.5k miles. Local dealership gave me a good deal on a set of Metzler 888's and mounted the front foc.

I really like the Metzler 888's, good match for my riding style. They stick well, TC lights rarely seen, and the chicken strips dissapear quickly.

Your mileage may differ ;-)

It's a bike with lots of low down torque, and it is exhilarating it use it. But this comes at the cost of rear tire wear. Sometimes I can observe my traction light glow momentarily, which means the rear tire is losing traction. Not conducive to long tire life.

Is it any wonder the front tire lasts much longer than the rear? (unless you're also into stoppies?)
I had a Harley Davidson with a lot of torque and the rear tire last 32000 km. I order a Brigestone hope it will last longer.

The stock rear tire was worn out at 6,500 miles, so I mounted a 195/65-16 to see if it would last better. So far ,I have about 3,000 miles on it with zero discernible wear. Very little difference in the way the bike handles, and it seems to ride a little more smoothly than with the stock tire.

20190602 045103

Hi Just James I see you are using a car tyre can I assume you have a sidecar mounted, would love to see a picture of your set up if possible.
Cheers Jim.

Hi Just James I see you are using a car tyre can I assume you have a sidecar mounted, would love to see a picture of your set up if possible.
Cheers Jim.
Hi Jim.
No, I don't have a sidecar. I had heard a lot of both good and bad about darksiding and decided to give it a try. So far, I have been very pleasantly surprised. I don't want to go on about it here, as some people get upset when it is mentioned.

Hi Jim.
No, I don't have a sidecar. I had heard a lot of both good and bad about darksiding and decided to give it a try. So far, I have been very pleasantly surprised. I don't want to go on about it here, as some people get upset when it is mentioned.
Hi James
I see, well if it works for you why not. I won't attempt it myself roads far too twisty here in the UK. Be nice to get similar mileage out of a bike tyre though.
Jim.

Who's telling you that "it's gone" or is that your observation?

I ask because I find dealers want to have you replace the tires when there's still plenty of life left in them from what I can see. Seems to me it's a quick-buck scheme for them - just my observation so far.

Who's telling you that "it's gone" or is that your observation?

I ask because I find dealers want to have you replace the tires when there's still plenty of life left in them from what I can see. Seems to me it's a quick-buck scheme for them - just my observation so far.
Yes my obvervation there is about 800 miles left on the tire.

I was the manager of a tire store in the late 70's that did truing and profiling for scca car racing tires. If you can find a shop that has that capability, you could have an auto tire profiled for a motorcycle. Not sure who would have the equipment anymore but a shop that handles auto racing tires should be able to point you in the right direction. Would love to see someone try it.

Don't know. Try both and report back. ;)
I put a set of Avon Cobras on my 2014 Cali 1400 Custom at 6000 miles. Now at 14050. Rear picked up a screw 500 miles ago. While it was off the bike for repair, as it was noticeably worn, I opted to just go ahead and replace it.. Probably could've gotten another 1000 miles at least, as the front still has a fair amount of tread left. And they made a huge improvement in handling over the stock POS Dunlops......

I put a set of Avon Cobras on my 2014 Cali 1400 Custom at 6000 miles. Now at 14050. Rear picked up a screw 500 miles ago. While it was off the bike for repair, as it was noticeably worn, I opted to just go ahead and replace it.. Probably could've gotten another 1000 miles at least, as the front still has a fair amount of tread left. And they made a huge improvement in handling over the stock POS Dunlops......
For now I have a set of Brigestone, will see how long they last.

We have a Cali 1400 Custom and also an Eldorado 1400. The Eldo is more nimble than the Cali, and so I was debating if that 200mm tire on the Cali was a contributing factor to the Cali's reluctance to lay over in the curves.

On the Cali, I was debating a rear Bridgestone BT-020 200/60-16 and a front Bridgestone Exedra G709130/70-18. Alternatively, a set of the Bridgestone Exedra Max tires, in those sizes. But, I am open to suggestions. We have a tire changer, so extreme tire longevity is far down on the priority list.

The 180/65-16 size for the rear is very tempting because (maybe) the Cali would be a bit more nimble with a narrower rear tire.

Last edited:
Back