• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7-lll Purchase

jerryd

Just got it firing!
Its been quite a while since I've been on Guzzitech, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong area!

Anyway, I've been away from Guzzi's for a while, but previously owned EV's, CalVin, several Norges,, Griso's, etc. So, I know the brand fairly well, but these newer V7's and V9's are new to me. I'm considering a V7-III but I'm wondering if its not going to be enough. Every review I read talks about is as a starter bike or first time motorcycle for many. Not having any dealers here in Florida makes it tough to test drive. I know the Griso is definitely a step up in power, but just wonder if the V7 would be a decent choice for me? Has anyone else gone through the same decision process or have any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks
Jerry

Not everyone will find happiness on a smaller bike. But many do. In the end, it comes down to you.
I would not want one as my only bike, but that is me. Others, some of whom are on this board, are happy having a V7 as their only bike.
I have an older small block, a V65 Lario. And it is a entertaining bike. I would not want it as my only bike, but on the other hand, I could live with it as my only bike if push came to shove. In fact, I haven't ridden either of my other two bikes in a while, due to mechanical issues. So far, so good.

I have a V7 III as my only bike and love it. That said I do have my eyes open for Norge for longer trips (3000 KM +). Otherwsie the V7 III is perfect.

Not everyone will find happiness on a smaller bike. But many do. In the end, it comes down to you.
I would not want one as my only bike, but that is me. Others, some of whom are on this board, are happy having a V7 as their only bike.
I have an older small block, a V65 Lario. And it is a entertaining bike. I would not want it as my only bike, but on the other hand, I could live with it as my only bike if push came to shove. In fact, I haven't ridden either of my other two bikes in a while, due to mechanical issues. So far, so good.

Thanks! Good input.

I have a V7 III as my only bike and love it. That said I do have my eyes open for Norge for longer trips (3000 KM +). Otherwsie the V7 III is perfect.
I've had a couple of Norges and used them for several coast to coast trips and through Canada and Mexico. I guess I got out that out of my system and now I just need an all purpose short distance hopper!

I have a 98 EV, an 08 KTM Superduke R, and an 18 V7 III Special. The V7 could easily be my only motorcycle, but it isn't because I like the others I have so I keep them.

I'm 5'9 with 32" inseam and my knees are pretty folded while seated with my feet on the pegs. If I were taller, I'd want a higher seat or something with more distance from seat to pegs than a V7. It's smooth, has decent power for cruising on the highway, and has great range.

Although it's smaller than my EV, in my opinion, the EV has an equally awkward foot control position, but is faster, handles better, and feels more robust, while the V7 is slower and softer but far more refined as far as transmission and engine smoothness. The V7 is what I ride most right now, but that's partly because the EV needs head tube bearings and fork seals. I love the V7 for lane splitting and getting around congested areas, but it is great on the highway as well, and I always go more than 200 miles per tank whether I'm riding on the interstate or spending a lot of time at traffic lights. I'm taking it to Tucson soon, which is 420 miles each way, and I have no reservations. I have about 9,000 miles on mine so far. It would be a great starter motorcycle, but it's good for much more than that.

I have a 98 EV, an 08 KTM Superduke R, and an 18 V7 III Special. The V7 could easily be my only motorcycle, but it isn't because I like the others I have so I keep them.

I'm 5'9 with 32" inseam and my knees are pretty folded while seated with my feet on the pegs. If I were taller, I'd want a higher seat or something with more distance from seat to pegs than a V7. It's smooth, has decent power for cruising on the highway, and has great range.

Although it's smaller than my EV, in my opinion, the EV has an equally awkward foot control position, but is faster, handles better, and feels more robust, while the V7 is slower and softer but far more refined as far as transmission and engine smoothness. The V7 is what I ride most right now, but that's partly because the EV needs head tube bearings and fork seals. I love the V7 for lane splitting and getting around congested areas, but it is great on the highway as well, and I always go more than 200 miles per tank whether I'm riding on the interstate or spending a lot of time at traffic lights. I'm taking it to Tucson soon, which is 420 miles each way, and I have no reservations. I have about 9,000 miles on mine so far. It would be a great starter motorcycle, but it's good for much more than that.

Thanks Aaron!

Howdy, Jerry & all.

My moto-harem includes two V7's, including a V7 III. I also have, as does Aaron, an EV.

It is wonderfully interesting how folks with same machines and experiences judge them differently. For example, I love my EV and think it handles as well as any "cruiser" (styled) motorcycle out there. As someone once told me, "it's on a sportbike frame." Yes, but on an 1967 one! ;) Mine -- with 100K+ miles -- has an upgunned rear suspension, too, as the OEM suspenders were DOA early on and I've replaced the follow-ons at least twice.

But, I sure think that the V7 III handles better than the EV. The latter does feel more planted at times -- especially on big, fast sweepers -- because, of course, there is more to plant! But on more compartmented roads such as here in the Mid-Atlantic, I'd pick the III over the EV for handling. [OBTW, I am only talking about solo riding; I reserve my Norge and EV for hosting pillions; let me rephrase that: Kathi will only ride the big 'uns. :makeup:]

Of course, I have an HDM; mebbe Aaron's is in another livery and thus better. :giggle:

One last point about handling. I found the Stornello's OEM suspension harsh and noncompliant out of the box, especially on unpaved washboarded dual tracks. OTOH, while the III would undoubtedly benefit from better rear shocks, at least, I have found its stock offerings better than the II on all surfaces.

Finally, I have taken multi-day trips on the III and think it just fine for that use ... with one proviso. I am about the only person I know with a '98 EV who thinks the stock saddle is just fine. :think: But I can only take the III's for a few hundred miles before I start wishing for some sort of pain relief! :( I have never seen an after-market saddle for any Guzzi that interested me -- as all seem butt-ugly (pun apt and intended :rofl:) but I am musing on finding better drugs or getting a different saddle for the III.

I bought the III from my brother when it had c.2K miles. He was intoxicated with his new Duc M/S 1200 -- which, BTW, has $tranded him $everal times since (all electronics issues). He had added H-B C-bow bags, a center stand, and a small w/s.

I lied; here's one more comment about LD riding. I almost never take the slab on any motorcycle. My III has c.7K miles on it just now and I don't think more than 5% of that is on 4-lanes, and less than 1% on interstate highways, if that. I don't find the power (or its lack) an issue on back roads, but I, at least, do not enjoy droning down the Eye roads at c.80. It’s capable of that, I suppose, but not, IMO, happily and with little roll-on available at those speeds.

Obviously, as with Aaron, YMMV on everything I've said, above.

Oh, lest my comments obscure my bottom line: I think the III is my favorite Guzzi in my stable.

1921!

Bill

i-4XN5Z3V-L.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bill.

Good comparison. Having owned 3-Norge's, a CalVin, and a '98 EV, you writeup means a lot to me. If I was still doing long distance stuff on Highways, I might consider another Big Block, but these days its mostly close to home!

Aren't you on WG any longer?

By the way, someone must make a decent replacement seat?

Is it difficult to change the pipes? They do sound a bit timid!

I'm keeping an eye out for a V7-III for sale.

I love my v7 and don't plan on ever selling it. But I will say since I moved about 45 miles from work which includes a highway where traffic goes 75, another where traffic that goes 65, and then city streets of broken cement, It's definitely felt a little limited. I would ride more to work if I had something a little bigger and more comfortable, but that's more cause I'd like a little more easy going - was considering the v85TT but it didn't have the power I wanted and will eventually get a Stelvio now for work commutes / camping. V7 for running around and canyon trips.

By the way, someone must make a decent replacement seat?

Is it difficult to change the pipes? They do sound a bit timid!

I'm keeping an eye out for a V7-III for sale.

Guzzitech makes amazing pipes and there are a lot of installation posts to help so you shouldn't have any trouble really.

Seat wise, depends on what you are looking for. I have the regular v7 seat which is fine, the Gel Seat allows me another 100 miles before I start to feel strain. Now ride with the single cafe style seat and it's bee very comfortable too. Corbin makes some seats for the v7 but they are very expensive. Supposedly amazing for comfort though.

Back