• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the 1200 8V engine tappet failure but were afraid to ask.

With a 2013 you should have roller tappets. There are some discrepancies but after serial number 12496 and build date of 03/12/2012 it should be fine.

Yes, discrepancies. that motor # isn't exact. But around that time
You can always look first to know for sure.

I would think removing a valve cover would be fine and considering the situation perfectly reasonable.
My one fear would be that it is a 2012 titled as a 2013. That tends to happen in other countries more than it does in the USA. But it does happen, especially with a small brand like Guzzi.

Last edited:
Would it help if I said the VIN was DM112514 ? Wouldn't the "D" clearly (on a cloudy day) indicate the rollers?

You need to look at the engine number, stamped on the engine. THERE IS AN EXAMPLE ON PAGE 2 OF THIS FORUM TOPIC, halfway down the page.

My initial inclination is that IT IS NOT a factory roller engine.

"According to Piaggio, motorcycles produced after these specific Serial Numbers / Production Dates, have the implemented design change valve train, and are "roller" engines.

Model - Engine Designation - Last 5 Digits of Serial Number - Date of Production

Stelvio - AC - After AC12596 - 03/12/2012
Griso - A8 - After 13524 - 04/12/2012
Norge - AA - After 12214 - 04/18/2012"

The letter D before the M (for Mandello) indicates the year of manufacture is 2013. Since this is later than 2012 you should be OK, but the only true test is to whip a valve cover off and have a peek of the followers.

This just in...

Turns out that what I didn't know, because I'm not sure it's totally clear in this thread...is that, the VIN is NOT the engine number. I'm sure most of you guys knew this, but I didn't.

The ENGINE number of the bike I am interested in is AC013488. Fairly well beyond the AC12596.

So just to be clear, it's NOT the last 5 digits of the VIN...it's the last 5 digits of the engine number.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks guys...learning all the time.

This just in...

Turns out that what I didn't know, because I'm not sure it's totally clear in this thread...is that, the VIN is NOT the engine number. I'm sure most of you guys knew this, but I didn't.

The ENGINE number of the bike I am interested in is AC013488. Fairly well beyond the AC12596.

So just to be clear, it's NOT the last 5 digits of the VIN...it's the last 5 digits of the engine number.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks guys...learning all the time.

You are correct. That is what I wrote and I'm sorry you missed it.

You need to look at the engine number, stamped on the engine. THERE IS AN EXAMPLE ON PAGE 2 OF THIS FORUM TOPIC, halfway down the page."

I even listed the individual fields.

Model and Engine Designation and Last 5 Digits of Serial Number and Date of Production. Not the VIN number. The VIN number is NOT the Engine Serial Number.

Model - Engine Designation - Last 5 Digits of Serial Number - Date of Production

Norge - AA - After 12214 - 04/18/2012

Also, Adam Davis even posted a picture of the Engine Serial Number in this thread.

Doesn't get much closer than this Griso.... which happens to be mine.

A11E4C2C E0BE 4D8E BCCE 7BCD94104426

Glad you understand now!

So, go get the bike and enjoy the pleasure of owning a Stelvio!

Last edited:
You are correct. That is what I wrote and I'm sorry you missed it.

I even listed the individual fields.

Model and Engine Designation and Last 5 Digits of Serial Number and Date of Production. Not the VIN number. The VIN number is NOT the Engine Serial Number.

Norge - AA - After 12214 - 04/18/2012

Also, Adam Davis even posted a picture of the Engine Serial Number in this thread.

Glad you understand now!

So, go get the bike and enjoy the pleasure of owning a Stelvio!

Yeah...my post number 50 was actually sent before I had a chance to read yours. It's all good. Road the bike home and just changed the oil and filter today. Used Castrol 10w-60...says it's for BMW M series...and a 551 Hiflo filter. Doing the CARC and gearbox tomorrow. Thanks!

Hi Scott,

I have an 09 Stelvio with 36K miles on the clock. I have had it from 22K miles and thought it must have been rollerised, but on checking yesterday it seems not. I have contacted the dealer who sold the bike and they remember it well as they serviced it for three years, but they did not retrofit the roller cam followers. I have asked them why not and am awaiting a reply. Unfortunately they were culled in the great UK Moto Guzzi dealer cull of 2014 and no longer sell new Guzzis. If the bike had a full service history is there any responsibility on Piaggio to support the fitting of the later cam followers? I would be interested to know.

Hi, did you have any luck with this? I’m in a similar position. I’ve spoken with the ‘assistants’ at my nearest dealer and was looked at like I was stupid. I was speaking to desk muppets and not experienced mechanics. Their attitude was that as my bike didn’t have a full dealership service history then what do I expect. Whereas an experienced mechanic would know the issue...

Some pics of mine.

Any information or advice would be great?

cheers,
Ray.

6CBD7D11 19AC 473F 908E 88820E4C2DFE 651DBDFC 0FBA 4524 94DF E5A21B803EE0 60581E25 9FB8 4C51 B7B4 F650F503B31B FB17A27C 88B6 4CBC BE58 1CB74EAB571E 91DAD27D E2A1 44AC 8E8E E0CD7443E13E BE794AF2 1528 4C0E BEC6 CC0C3B65353D A682E87D 1914 429F BE92 EA7C29647874

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I’m sorry about your troubles but I’m not sure what you want.

I stated it pretty clear. Bikes with a complete service history at a dealer were normally covered completely by Piaggio while other bikes were covered for parts.

We are now many years out from the initial sale of these bikes and quite frankly, Piaggio doesn’t have to do a damn thing for free for anybody anymore. I suspect that they will not.

I gather that your best bet would be to buy the kit and install it. Fix this problem and the bike is virtually bulletproof after this repair. Then you can ride the hell out of it for many thousands of miles.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hello,

I’m sorry about your troubles but I’m not sure what you want.

I stated it pretty clear. Bikes with a complete service history at a dealer were normally covered completely by Piaggio while other bikes were covered for parts.

We are now many years out from the initial sale of these bikes and quite frankly, Piaggio doesn’t have to do a damn thing for free for anybody anymore. I suspect that they will not.

I gather that your best bet would be to buy the kit and install it. Fix this problem and the bike is virtually bulletproof after this repair. Then you can ride the he’ll out of it for many thousands of miles.

Good Luck!
It really is worth it. It's not an easy job according to manual but once the bugs are out they stay out. It's a matter of personal preference regarding to performance mods. But outside of maintenance per manual my bike is expected to be a six figure milage machine. And I am approaching 50 years of life I would like to pass it down to my son some day. After all the big block production is over in Mandello.

Wow, I just now looked at those pics. Ray, get a new cam cap, don't use that busted one. I'd also look for the piece missing. That wear all looks normal for needing rollers. If you took those off, you cam put new stuff on. Easey peasey.

Just curious as to what the maximum mileage anyone has experienced on the flat cam motors without having the update? All the dealers within any reasonable distance have gone out of business or dropped Moto Guzzi mainly because according to them, Guzzi has refused to reimburse them for all the warranty work. My bike is a 2009 with 37,000 miles and I have not had any symptoms yet. Anyone gone much further without problems?

I got a 2009 Griso with 20000km that i bought 2 years ago, and no sign of that yet. Oil change frequently. Got an issue with the left head gasket that was oil leaking and thats all. Got to do our own mechanic around here in QC/Canada, as the moto Guzzi dealer cant help you at all except for selling you a tshirt or make a oil change.... Not many MG on the street here.
How do you know that the problem is coming or not? Thanks

I got a 2009 Griso with 20000km that i bought 2 years ago, and no sign of that yet. Oil change frequently. Got an issue with the left head gasket that was oil leaking and thats all. Got to do our own mechanic around here in QC/Canada, as the moto Guzzi dealer cant help you at all except for selling you a tshirt or make a oil change.... Not many MG on the street here.
The problem is this from what i have gathered from the experts. The tappet when slowly degrating due to substandard surface material coating begins to send wonderful particulates (metal) throughout a orherwise wonderfully designed life long power house of a potentially very high milage motor and cause fuck all permanent internal damage. My situation is similar in regards to Guzzi dealership/mechanics no where near me. However, I was lucky I guess that my 2013 motor number squeeked by and was rollerized in Mandello. I sure hope you get helped on this from Guzzi. For once things are set and bugs are out.Bad ass tractor motor made fast and furious you will love. Mine hasn't let me down mechanically. Just cracked 40,000 high heat so Florida miles.

Did you know that in the UK at least it is unlawful to demand a full dealer service history? If you can prove through record keeping that the bike has received servicing from a 'suitably competent person' this is regarded in law as a reasonable substitute. I was told this by an official from the UK's consumer protection agency.

No easy way to check. Cam towers have to come up off studs to see followers. No parts needed to look cept maybe orings on spark plug tube.

No easy way to check. Cam towers have to come up off studs to see followers. No parts needed to look cept maybe orings on spark plug tube.

OK, I am in the process of doing some work on the bike and cleaning it as its winter around here. No motorcycle on the road until april, so I got time. I got 2 other MG that are like new but the 2009 griso need some work. I was planning to do a remap on it as it run with the factory map that is terrible in low rpm, in the trafic. Changing rear tire, brake, oil change and maybe a new slip on exhaust to loose some weight. As I said before the bike run ok except for that low rpm respond, a new map will do the job. Then I started to read you guys on that tapped failure.... I decided to go tcheck it, so I open the left cylinder that have give me some trouble ( leaking head gasket ). One of the tapped, the exhaust one have start to loose coating.... the other seem to be fine, but its a matter of time I think. The bike is 10 years old, I got it for 2 years, and I got no records of its maintenance in a MG dealers, so I am alone... Where and at what cost can I get the parts to do the roller modification by myself? As some of you guys as even try to do it, or is it a dealer job only? I got pretty good mechanical skill, ( better than my english, I am french/Canadian ):)

Back