• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mileage and Issues

2016 Eldorado 1400, purchased new at the end of May. The red warning triangle and "URGENT SERVICE" message appeared at 850 miles. After a bit of research and the use of diagnostic software, I took it back to the dealer and requested that they replace the throttle position sensor under warranty.

Fast forward 4 months and the bike living (mostly) at the dealer. Lots of pissing and moaning and finger-pointing and then they FINALLY replaced the TPS and no further issue.

In the mean time, I purchased a 2014 Cali 1400 Custom in order to have something to ride.

This is an old thread but I'm adding my experience just in case any potential new 1400 owners are lurking. My'14 Touring has had only minimal problems in my 3+ years and 17K miles of ownership. I bought it with 3200 miles on it and the PO had the TPS replaced under warranty at around 50 miles, that is the last serious problem this bike has had. My spark plug caps need to be replaced almost every time I remove the plug wires but NGKs can be had for less than $4 ea. Rear tires are my only real concern, they are a beast to R/R, at least compared to my BMW, expensive and last only about 5000 miles. But I started changing them myself and now it's an annual 1.5 hr / $150 job, and I can check the rear brake pads and change the final drive oil at the same time. Annual / 6K mile maintenance takes 2-3 hours and costs about $100, so in the average year I spend under $300 and maybe 5 hours to keep it going. For this price I enjoy a hugely satisfying ride for the rest of the year. To extend the riding season I've added a heated Corbin seat and National Cycle (?) hand guards to keep my hands warm. Also a rack and top box to serve as a back rest for my wife and hold my helmet when stopped.

I had almost talked myself out of this bike after reading about so many problems but I'm glad I didn't. Keep in mind that people usually don't post when things are going great. I'm sure that the problems posted here and other sites are real and very frustrating for the owners but I bet most 1400s are just working as they are supposed to day in and day out. Every year I test ride a few other bikes and have yet to find a new one that I like as well as my Cali. Last year I rode a $30K HD that I liked almost as well as my $10K (pre-owned) MG and that's the closest I've come so far.

Rear tires are my only real concern, they are a beast to R/R, at least compared to my BMW, expensive and last only about 5000 miles.

You might want to change to a different tire. I too got less than 5000 miles on the OEM Dunlop tire before a change was needed, Since then have been using Avon Cobra tires (have lots of experience with these tires on other bikes) and have been seeing ~12,000 miles on the rear and ~16,000 miles on the front before change being needed.

Whatever brand of tire you choose, you should easily be able to get much more than 5000 miles out of it before they wear out.

I had almost talked myself out of this bike after reading about so many problems but I'm glad I didn't. Keep in mind that people usually don't post when things are going great. I'm sure that the problems posted here and other sites are real and very frustrating for the owners but I bet most 1400s are just working as they are supposed to day in and day out. Every year I test ride a few other bikes and have yet to find a new one that I like as well as my Cali. Last year I rode a $30K HD that I liked almost as well as my $10K (pre-owned) MG and that's the closest I've come so far.
Quite true....we seldom bother to give details of things when they are going well!

What HD model came close to the Guzzi.....

Cheers

You might want to change to a different tire. I too got less than 5000 miles on the OEM Dunlop tire before a change was needed, Since then have been using Avon Cobra tires (have lots of experience with these tires on other bikes) and have been seeing ~12,000 miles on the rear and ~16,000 miles on the front before change being needed.

Whatever brand of tire you choose, you should easily be able to get much more than 5000 miles out of it before they wear out.

I would love to get 12K out of a rear tire but I've tried Avon Cobras and only got a little under $6K. The mileage seems to be highly variable depending on the bike, or maybe the environment or local road type or... Lately I've been using Bridgestones because they are sticky and cheap, but still only last 5K.

Quite true....we seldom bother to give details of things when they are going well!

What HD model came close to the Guzzi.....

Cheers
It was the Ultra Limited. Very nice but louder and slower than a 1400. And for $32K you could have a new leftover 1400 Touring, a V7III, and a 4 corners trip.

I am just now changing my rear tire on my 2016 Eldo. Since I purchased it with a little under 7,000 miles I am putting on a new one at 12,500. I frankly don't know if the tire has actually gone a full 12,500 as I bought the bike from a dealership. If I can get 10,000 out of a rear tire I am supremely satisfied. I do like the handling of the Dunlop American Elites as they are dual compound not like the old 402's which only lasted 5,000 miles.

I would love to get 12K out of a rear tire but I've tried Avon Cobras and only got a little under $6K. The mileage seems to be highly variable depending on the bike, or maybe the environment or local road type or... Lately I've been using Bridgestones because they are sticky and cheap, but still only last 5K.

Avon Cobras after 11,000kms on my Eldorado, including two-up touring and I don't usually ride it gently. Love the Avons and swapped them for the Avon Cobra Chromes, they feel even better.

Attachments

• Avons.jpg
    Avons.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 15
Yes the tire had 12,500 miles on it as indicated by the removal of the sticky weights which had the shiny polished surface underneath.

So raise the seat up. Custom seat makers can to that for you. I had the make the seat taller on my B11 for about the same reason. Once taller, it was just fine. Winter is coming and that would be a good time to send the seat off to someone like Sergeant in Florida.
2 cm less, a different shape for my back, and real leather. Now it's perfect 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20220302_171548.jpg
    IMG_20220302_171548.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220302_142210.jpg
    IMG_20220302_142210.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220302_164353.jpg
    IMG_20220302_164353.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1
Back