• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7/9 Fuel Filter Replacement How-To

Thanks for the video. Changed out the fuel filter today on my 2017 Stone and I'll admit, went back and re-watched it a couple of times to get the right mojo for removal of the pump. It went well and the all-metal filter is installed. Yep, bloated, soft yellow plastic on the old filter. For fun I ran the Mahle number to see what that filter looks like new. What a difference- smooth white plastic. Definitely not the correct filter for this application! This should be a TSB from the factory.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. This would have been more complicated without knowing the moves for getting out. Came out and right back in with no problems. Much easier than expected.

Mine was bloated and looked ready to pop. Around 1700 miles on a 2018 Milano.

Thanks for the video. I watched it so manny times. It took me hour and twenty minutes with lots of swearing and ciggerretes.
Putting back was easier and still it took me 25 minutes.

Stock filter looked fine when taken out. It looks new. 23000 is on it. stock filter is Mahle 145. Made in Austria. I have seen photos made In Turkey on it. Somehow I somehow ended up buying mahle all metal one which is Mahle 150 made in Germany.
I am not sure what was the problem installing a metal one at the first place.

Interesting, I will try replacement again soon. I wonder why at 5200 KM my filter looks like new, pristine white with no discoloration or swelling at all.
Even at 15,000 KM my plastic filter looked like new, but I only use gas with no ethanol. I have never used fuel with ethanol in it. I think that is the big problem with the plastic.

Even at 15,000 KM my plastic filter looked like new, but I only use gas with no ethanol. I have never used fuel with ethanol in it. I think that is the big problem with the plastic.
Not sure about that. I have used all sorts of petrol in different time to stop the decel popping after customising the exhaust pipes. Changing fuel made no difference but Guzzi tech ECU reflash. I have used 91, 95,96 petrol. But my filter still looked great. In saying that I have seen some horrible photos of some filters. I still think going through that hassle to change from plastic to metal is worth. See my filter below.

Attachments

• 92B8AAEE-AE93-4AC4-BED0-7EC98C930068.jpeg
    92B8AAEE-AE93-4AC4-BED0-7EC98C930068.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 79
  • 537FFEA4-52AF-40B0-9929-9C9D24523DB8.jpeg
    537FFEA4-52AF-40B0-9929-9C9D24523DB8.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 75
Anyone here know if the V85 also used the POS 1/2 & 1/2 filter??? Paul
Paul, even better, it’s an all plastic filter! Upside is that the plastic is incredibly think. I would like to find out if it’s rated for ethanol or not.

Guys, this whole questioning the stock filter has been gone over so many times, I’ve lost count, ad nauseam.
The manufacturer of the stock filter has publicly stated that the half plastic filter was NOT designed to be submerged in regular fuel, much less ethanol. Please don’t ask why.
So it’s up to those reading this that want to wait until you’re standing on the side of the road, hopefully not far from home, or be proactive.
Please don’t state how long you’ve run the stock version, or that you pressure tested it, etc, etc... I and a great many dealers in the U.S. have seen enough of them fail early enough (even when new), that it’s simply not worth the headache for when it does fail. It will. I sell them as a courtesy on the online Store (with clamps) here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters
Below is the last 600 mile service bike we did. Note that the plastic has swelled to nearly double the original size. It popped apart with minimal effort.

E8C18E55 732A 414F ACBD 01EDE64FB6B3

Interesting, on mine the plastic is actually solid white, not clear. I plan to do the filter swap to metal this winter.
Good luck. Take your time. Don’t rush. Be patient. It may take lot longer than you think. You may need the right tools to undo the existing filter clamps and to put back new clamps on without damaging the fuel pipe. I took the whole fuel pump unit to local Suzuki shop as I didn’t have a proper plier. They charged me $10. They swapped it over for me. GU01108490 Is the original clamp part number if you choose Mahle KL 145. I think Guzzi tech filters come with clamps with a screw if my memory is correct.

While the GTM filter comes with *both* screw and Oetiker clamps, folks should really do themselves a favor and obtain the proper tool and use the Oetiker version. The screw-type clamps can (and have!) come loose inside the tank, something that is pretty much impossible with the Oetiker style clamps. "A stitch, in time, saves nine."

__Jason

I have a question (and I apologize if it's been answered before somewhere, I couldn't find it).

The OEM filter seems to be secured to the pump assembly with what can best be described as a plastic cable tie. Will any kind of cable tie do when securing the new all metal filter, or will I need a special fuel resistant type?

I have a question (and I apologize if it's been answered before somewhere, I couldn't find it).

The OEM filter seems to be secured to the pump assembly with what can best be described as a plastic cable tie. Will any kind of cable tie do when securing the new all metal filter, or will I need a special fuel resistant type?

I was able to slide the old filter out and slide the new one into the existing tie wrap.

I was able to slide the old filter out and slide the new one into the existing tie wrap.
Well, that would certainly be easier than worrying about a replacement tie holding up in the fuel. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same!

Last edited:
Well, that would certainly be easier than worrying about a replacement tie holding up in the fuel. Fingers crossed I'm able to do the same!

Looks like nylon tie wraps are compatible with fuel (according to the interwebs). It may become brittle over time. Likely not a problem in this application.

I ordered a fuel filter from your store. I am going to be removing the tank anyway on my V9 roamer along with fenders and side panels for paint this winter so that will be a good time to replace it.

Back