• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2008 1200 Sport

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
Well, it's finally done. My labor of love. This cream-puff (5,500 original, one-owner miles) that I went and retrieved from KS City, KS in October, is done and ready for the road in the spring. It's for my youngest son, Morgan. He's a Masters Degree student in Computer Science and he's upgrading from a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja.

He's stoked. I'm stoked for him!

New Aprilia 850 Mana handlebars which are wider and further back but tapped at the ends for a perfect swap-over of the stock Moto Guzzi bar weights and controls, complete major service with new air and fuel filters, new plugs (all 4), new tires, new hard-start relay, new Stein Dinse Center-Stand, hand polished out all stains and markings on the pipes and exhaust. Paint and body-finishes, cleaned and restoration done.

She's a beauty! Truly. What a blast to drive it now too!

2008 1200 Sport Stein DInse Centerstand Installed

Last edited:
Nice job Scott. BTW, I've never seen a Handy lift with a steering wheel before!!

Thank you John!

LOL! Noticed that did you?

It had a little stubby handle that I used for years until I said WTH one day and mounted that industrial valve handle on her. I can now reach the wheel easier while still holding the bike which was critical for bikes without center stands, e.g. Ducati - and it’s a breeze to tighten the choc up very quickly and easily.

Only drawback is you could potentially overtighten and crush the rim but thankfully never done that before.

These Handy lifts are indestructible. Look at that poor girl. She needs paint but she’s lifted 10,000 bikes in the air I’d bet!

I can still get every single replacement part I need from Handy. Try doing that with the asian knockoff lifts!

I rebuilt the gigantic pneumatic cylinder a few years ago with parts I got from Handy. Even used a giant Diesel engine drill mounted 3 honing stone setup to re-hone the cylinder when I had it disassembled. Cleaned up beautifully and she leaps up in the air now even with a Stelvio NTX on her back, the moment I open the pedal!

They sure don't build equipment like this nowadays. Except a new Handy lift, but this one works perfect, so why change it now!

Last edited:
Beautiful :inlove:…..

What product did you use to get the header pipes looking so good? My Breva 1100's are badly stained and could do with a similar treatment.

Thank you Chris!

It’s not the product, it’s the labor!

Any metal polish works. I usually use 2 different kinds and I used what I had on hand and also Brasso.

I use 0000 steel wool (this IS NOT the steel wool you used in the kitchen, it's extra fine, "0000" quadruple Ought steel wool - I buy it at Lowes in the paint section), and microfiber polishing cloths from Walmart. Keep the steel wool lubricated with the metal polish, and do the final 2 or 3 polishings with just the microfiber cloths and all the super fine scratches will be removed.

Lots and lots of rubbing the steel wool by hand, left right, up down, diagonal, until the pipe is black, then wipe clean, repeat.

Last edited:
Thank you John!

LOL! Noticed that did you?

It had a little stubby handle that I used for years until I said WTH one day and mounted that industrial valve handle on her. I can now reach the wheel easier while still holding the bike which was critical for bikes without center stands, e.g. Ducati - and it’s a breeze to tighten the choc up very quickly and easily.

I had a Handy lift with that type wheel vise then upgraded to the new lift. That previous lift was so old it didn't use a piston to raise the deck. It used a truck suspension air bag!! As far as I know it is still being used.

I got my exhausts ceramic coated, its not shiny, more a flat aluminium look but way better than the way they go if left.

That's cool. If the pipes can be polished, I like to keep them that way, but it's funny you said this because I have my Stelvio on my lift right now, and today I was going to pull the exhaust to send out to Jet Hot for ceramic coating.

The Stelvio pipes cannot be polished without an industrial buffing wheel. I think they shot peened the finish to begin with. Just about the ugliest raw pipe finish ever on a Moto Guzzi if you ask me. It looked so-so when brand new and now it is just plain butt ugly.

I'm going to do the Satin Silver which I think is like what you are describing. To my eye, it goes with the other finishes on the bike.

616793 3328476544393 153835182 o
My Stelvio NTX when it was new in 2012

0120SatinSilver2
Satin Silver Color

IMG 0982
Jet-Hot Satin Silver Coating on headers

View attachment 18687
This is what my ceramic coating looks like after 70,000Kms and I never polish them.

PERFECT! I'm doing it for sure now.

Why would you ever need to polish a ceramic coating anyway? I'm confused.

I saw this photo where some guy had the pipes coated in the chrome like finish and I hated it. It does not go with the bike at all.

Chrome like finish

Well, it's finally done. My labor of love. This cream-puff (5,500 original, one-owner miles) that I went and retrieved from KS City, KS in October, is done and ready for the road in the spring. It's for my youngest son, Morgan. He's a Masters Degree student in Computer Science and he's upgrading from a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja.

New Aprilia 850 Mana handlebars which are wider and further back but tapped at the ends for a perfect swap-over of the stock Moto Guzzi bar weights and controls, complete major service with new air and fuel filters, new plugs (all 4), new tires, new hard-start relay, new Stein Dinse Center-Stand, hand polished out all stains and markings on the pipes and exhaust. Paint and body-finishes, cleaned and restoration done.

View attachment 18666

View attachment 18680

View attachment 18679

View attachment 18678

View attachment 18677

View attachment 18676

View attachment 18675

View attachment 18674

View attachment 18681

View attachment 18666

View attachment 18680

View attachment 18679

View attachment 18678

View attachment 18677

View attachment 18676

View attachment 18675

View attachment 18674

View attachment 18681

Hi

Do mind if I ask two questions, what's the black canister in the compartment under the seat and what's a hard start relay?
I've had a 1200 Sport since 2007 with 35k miles and carried out a few of the mods mentioned on the forums . The main one being the starting issue and putting a direct feed from the battery to starter relay. Works well but sometimes I still have starting issues which I can't resolve. Not 100% sure about MotoBatt replacement I swapped out for the original Yuasa?
I have changed the handlebars similar and installed a GuzztiTech airbox lid and Mistral can and had a remap. Runs well, fuel compsumtion lower and to be honest thinking of putting the original air box lid and exhaust back on.
Interested in any of your thoughts/mods on the 1200 Sport.
Looks a great buy and over the years mine still engages me and to boot is a great all rounder.

Regards

Stewart

Hi

Do mind if I ask two questions, what's the black canister in the compartment under the seat and what's a hard start relay?
I've had a 1200 Sport since 2007 with 35k miles and carried out a few of the mods mentioned on the forums . The main one being the starting issue and putting a direct feed from the battery to starter relay. Works well but sometimes I still have starting issues which I can't resolve. Not 100% sure about MotoBatt replacement I swapped out for the original Yuasa?
I have changed the handlebars similar and installed a GuzztiTech airbox lid and Mistral can and had a remap. Runs well, fuel compsumtion lower and to be honest thinking of putting the original air box lid and exhaust back on.
Interested in any of your thoughts/mods on the 1200 Sport.
Looks a great buy and over the years mine still engages me and to boot is a great all rounder.

Regards

Stewart

1. Evaporative emissions charcoal canister. Used on bikes sent to the USA for capturing gas fumes from tank then routing them to intake tract upon starting. For smog control in theory.

2. Hard start relay kit.

https://mphcycles.com/starter-relay-fix-kit/

For me, I love the stock setup on this bike. I have Todd’s (GuzziTech) full monty system on my Stelvio, and I love it. My Stelvio ran erratically before it and is now silky smooth snd runs like a jackrabbit fleeing a predator. However, the 1200 Sport I have, runs so sweet in factory trim, for the time being, it’s staying just as is.

I’m a “mods if required” kind of guy and not “seeking a few more horsepower or less weight” type.

The sport is hands down one of my favorite Moto Guzzi motorcycles I have owned. My son loves it very much.

For me, I love the stock setup on this bike. I have Todd’s (GuzziTech) full monty system on my Stelvio, and I love it. My Stelvio ran erratically before it and is now silky smooth snd runs like a jackrabbit fleeing a predator. However, the 1200 Sport I have, runs so sweet in factory trim, for the time being, it’s staying just as is.
I’m a “mods if required” kind of guy and not “seeking a few more horsepower or less weight” type.
Thanks Scott... that is until you ride a modded version; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gt-modded-1200-sport-2v-dyno-run.5830/ ;)

The 1200-2V is an awesome engine. Used it to power my GTM-01.5 build.

Thanks Scott... that is until you ride a modded version; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gt-modded-1200-sport-2v-dyno-run.5830/ ;)

The 1200-2V is an awesome engine. Used it to power my GTM-01.5 build.

Oh Todd, BELIEVE ME, you are preaching TO THE CONVERTED! I took the Stelvio out yesterday for the first ride of the season. 500 miles down to West Virginia for Hillbilly Hotdogs, both my friend Mark and I on our Stelvios. NEVER MISSED AN OPPORTUNITY TO CRANK IT ON FULL SPEED AHEAD WHILE I SMILED MY ASS OFF THE WHOLE WAY! Normal cruising and especially parking lot throttle precision were as smooth as silk as expected.

I still know that my GT-Rx modified Stelvio is THE BEST running Stelvio in the whole damn world!

I ABSOLUTELY AND UNEQUIVOCALLY WOULD RECOMMEND YOUR FUEL MODIFICATIONS FOR ANY MOTO GUZZI MOTORCYCLE, TO ANYBODY WHO WANTS THE VERY BEST IN RUNNING AND PERFORMANCE!

It's just that this particular Sport is such a lovely little runner, and my son, simply doesn't have enough skills yet, to appreciate nor really utilize the benefits of your awesome system. Probably be singing a different song by next season though!

Best Wishes Todd!

Best Wishes Todd!
Thanks much Scott, to you and yours as well. I know I was preaching to the choir, just a fun banter on the post. I love hearing the enjoyment the full monty kit brings... trust me I feel much the same when I twist the throttle on mine - as well as every GTM build so far... couldn't make them work so well and easily without the combo.

Hi

Not 100% sure about MotoBatt replacement I swapped out for the original Yuasa?

I had a Motobatt in my 1200 Sport before I sold the bike. It was frustrating, the adapters would loosen up every so often on the battery and give me the clunk of a non-starter.
After wiring up the starter relay fixed mentioned above, every non-start issue I ever had was battery or battery connection related.

Oh Todd, BELIEVE ME, you are preaching TO THE CONVERTED! I took the Stelvio out yesterday for the first ride of the season. 500 miles down to West Virginia for Hillbilly Hotdogs, both my friend Mark and I on our Stelvios. NEVER MISSED AN OPPORTUNITY TO CRANK IT ON FULL SPEED AHEAD WHILE I SMILED MY ASS OFF THE WHOLE WAY! Normal cruising and especially parking lot throttle precision were as smooth as silk as expected.

I still know that my GT-Rx modified Stelvio is THE BEST running Stelvio in the whole damn world!

I ABSOLUTELY AND UNEQUIVOCALLY WOULD RECOMMEND YOUR FUEL MODIFICATIONS FOR ANY MOTO GUZZI MOTORCYCLE, TO ANYBODY WHO WANTS THE VERY BEST IN RUNNING AND PERFORMANCE!

It's just that this particular Sport is such a lovely little runner, and my son, simply doesn't have enough skills yet, to appreciate nor really utilize the benefits of your awesome system. Probably be singing a different song by next season though!

Best Wishes Todd!
1. Evaporative emissions charcoal canister. Used on bikes sent to the USA for capturing gas fumes from tank then routing them to intake tract upon starting. For smog control in theory.

2. Hard start relay kit.

https://mphcycles.com/starter-relay-fix-kit/

The sport is hands down one of my favorite Moto Guzzi motorcycles I have owned. My son loves it very much.
Cheers Scott

I would agree with you about the mods, I've gone around in circles and come back on myself. The original exhaust cracked by the bracket and the dealer (under warranty) offered me a Mistral Carbon Conical, which I ran for several years along with a Rexxer remap and GuzziTech airbox lid. It's was hard to compare but I know realize the Mistral while sounding ok does overly resonate, reduces low and midrange power and it consequently looses the easy riding of the bike. Last year I took the bike for a rolling road Dyno remap here in the UK with the Mistral. I was pleased with the results but it wasn't the result I wanted. I was sure the bike ran smoother (also a more driveable power delivery) with the original exhaust. I picked up a bargain price GPR Tri-Oval from Amazon recently and fitted. Ran without the dB killer to match the remap and now the Sport runs lovely. I can go into bend, stay in the same gear, let the revs drop and the motor pulls smoothly out. A different riding experience, still runs lovely from 4K to 7K but with less fuss and improved gas mileage.
To say I'm pleased is an overstatement, i just wanted to share my experience.
One big issue I realize owning the Sport for 13 years is that there is very little grease in any of the bearings from the factory.
Regards
Stewart

Back