• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi identification

fossilrder

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey Guys, Steve here. My friend just bought an old Guzzi that I had found and he is starting to get it up and going. In order to get it titled, he needs to identify exactly what it is, since it came without a title. The frame # is 1317 and the motor # is 1427. The decals on the side covers say "V7 Ambassador". I don't remember seeing this before since most I have seen are either a V7 OR an Ambassador. I did a little digging and,from what I have found so far, it appears this is probably a 1967 or possibly 1968 year model. Was this maybe a transition year between the V7 and the Ambassador? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve (Fossil)

I'm not sure when the Ambassador production began, but 1971 is the last model year. It is a 750cc bike with the 4 speed gearbox. 1972 began the Eldorado run. As for the exact year of manufacture, it should be on the ID plate on the head stock. It looks like it had an engine change as in that era the frame and engine number matched from the factory. see https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/...ycles/1971-moto-guzzi-ambassador-zmmz15jfzbla

Last edited:
What your friend has by the numbers is a V700 and should be titled as a 1967. It's very rare for V700 engine and frame numbers to match. The "transition" year from V700 to Ambassador was 1969.

Ambassador numbers were all 5 digit, the earliest 1969s having an "A" prefix. 1972 was the last "model year" for the Ambassador, with those having been built in Oct. '71.

http://thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_loop_list.php

I started getting into 700's after buying a customers in 92. I liked it better than the 750 or 850 Loops. No one wanted the stuff for restorations, they all wanted updated stuff w/more pleasant looking tank. They go real slow alot better, more nimble than later Loops. I saw plenty for sale in Chi area, so I bought a few more than the one I had. I ride 1, 2 are totally apart on shelves, got 1 more cast sleeved cyl matched to pistons. Maybe someday they'll get done, seems no one still wants the 1st ones. At least I haven't parted them out. I got rid of the junk SSI carbs years ago, even w/accel pump kit was still substandard. I like my 67, not restored it just looks like an old bike, well aged.

Bought my '69 for $500 two years ago and last Winter rebuilt the drivetrain, left the cosmetics pretty much as is and made a few upgrades. For 2019 it was my "do all" bike - fairing and trunk on it was my touring bike, stripped down it was my "adventure" bike - cruising forest roads, dirt roads, gravel roads whatever. Now it's in "Winter mode" - fairing and lowers for those cold days.

Wandering around in Michaux St. Forest, PA.

62646696_2146764965445623_6856076755828998144_o.jpg

Headed home from the Virginia Guzzi Rally.
66362874_2146766202112166_413881538476769280_o.jpg

Once again, thanks for the input. I believe the general thought here, that this must be a '67 V7, is correct. But, after looking at tons of photos, I am still confused that a '67 year model would have "Ambassador" on the side covers (which seem to be original to this bike) when the Ambassador didn't actually hit the market until '69 (or maybe late '68). I have also noticed, though, that there are several different V7 logos, some with the "Ambassador" and some without. All a bit confusing? But, anyway, I have passed on to my buddy that he should plan on titling it as a '67 V7. If anyone can add to this, I will keep checking for more ideas. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Steve

Once again, thanks for the input. I believe the general thought here, that this must be a '67 V7, is correct. But, after looking at tons of photos, I am still confused that a '67 year model would have "Ambassador" on the side covers (which seem to be original to this bike) when the Ambassador didn't actually hit the market until '69 (or maybe late '68). I have also noticed, though, that there are several different V7 logos, some with the "Ambassador" and some without. All a bit confusing? But, anyway, I have passed on to my buddy that he should plan on titling it as a '67 V7. If anyone can add to this, I will keep checking for more ideas. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Steve

Side covers on that vintage and model have been swapped on most every bike by now. It is highly suspect that they wold be the original ones unless you had a verifiable provenance like a 1 owner unit.

You may like this info as well.

http://www.mgnoc.com/article_rare_birds.html

Back