• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dies going into gear

Rusty2000

Who dares wins!
Hi All,

2009 model, new problem not happened before. Bike starts fine but does going into gear. Won't start in gear either with no clicking from relays, just a dead starter. Is this a neutral sensor issue or a clutch cut-out sensor issue? Or is it entirely something else?

Having a lot of trouble with my sidestand switch at the moment, it operates sufficiently to put the dash light out but it is still in circuit somehow and makes the engine cut out when switching from Hi to Lo beam!
The only way to stop this happening (until I remove the switch this weekend) is to get underneath and pull the plunger out with my fingers.
As I say, the dash light goes out but the switch still makes the engine cut out.

Not easily, I looked at removing the switch a couple of weekends ago but was shocked at just how inaccessible it is.

It is held in place by two screws but although it is possible to remove these I am worried that re-fitting the switch is going to be a problem due to the lack of room (caused by the sump) to get the screws started (they are hex head and undo ok using a ball end driver but getting them aligned to start the thread could be tricky). I also tried to undo the connector but that is tight behind the starter motor and there was no way I could undo it without removing the starter.
Having proved that everything is ok as long as the plunger is fully extended it is my intention this weekend to remove the switch and hope that provides sufficient slack to undo the connector. If everything works ok with the switch out of circuit then I will leave it like that until I get a new switch but if is senses the switch is disconnected then I will reconnect and tie the switch up out of the way.
The trouble at the moment is that with the plunger having to be released manually I can't use the sidestand and as a rule I like to put that down when stepping off the bike (for stability) before then putting it on the mainstand.

The sidestand switch is a single pole single throw version (i.e. off or on only), so if it observed changing in the dash, then the switch itself is not the problem.

Don't understand how the Hi-Lo beam switch is affecting things. Has a previous owner been jerking around with the wiring perhaps?

No, owned from new and completely standard.

Can confirm that it certainly is the problem but as you say, can't understand how however I am confident that a new switch will cure it.
Flick up sidestand and the dash light goes out, put it into gear and all is ok but whenever the Hi / Low switch is moved to Lo then the sidestand warning light illuminates and the engine cuts out. Get off, pull the plunger out a little more (it is sticky despite being cleaned so suspect weak internal spring) and everything functions as it should! :)

Hi/Low switch acting as a cut out,??? All I can think of is there is problem in the loom possibly wiring chaffed and and shorting out, check around the head stock where there is a lot of movement.

Hi All,

2009 model, new problem not happened before. Bike starts fine but does going into gear. Won't start in gear either with no clicking from relays, just a dead starter. Is this a neutral sensor issue or a clutch cut-out sensor issue? Or is it entirely something else?

Sorted now. New sidestand cut-out switch fixed it. The old one disintegrated on removal! Had to drop the sump to fit. Bad design or production engineer cock-up!

Hi/Low making the engine cut out was my problem.

Remover the switch over Christmas(actually it was easier than I thought to remove & disconnect), bridged the contacts on the plug and the bike has performed perfectly ever since. Am not even going to bother getting a new switch as it is fine as it is.

Looked at the old switch on the bench, it was corroded internally and only fit for scrap. Tested it and it was giving variable readings depending on how far the plunger was moved.

Back