• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT Clutch Issue / Failure

Faisal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Does anyone know of any other alternative options for the V85TT clutch?

I feel like the clutch is very weak , especially for offroading, and I just wanted to know if there are other options besides OEM for the V85TT clutch.

If you think the clutch is weak, first check the adjustment. In my experience with Guzzi they tend to provide a clutch that is more than adequate.

If you think the clutch is weak, first check the adjustment. In my experience with Guzzi they tend to provide a clutch that is more than adequate.

I did check the adjustment. The clutch is fine, it's just not helpful off-road imo

So, I have two clips uploaded and was wondering if you can hear what I am hearing from the clutch? What could it be? Shot bearing?

Does anyone know of any other alternative options for the V85TT clutch? I feel like the clutch is very weak , especially for offroading, and I just wanted to know if there are other options besides OEM for the V85TT clutch.
The V85TT uses nearly the same small block clutch as the V7, pic below. I'm not a fan of the slim "spoked" metal plate design with rivets, but it tends to offer the best clutch "feel."
If you find that yours has met a premature demise, let me know and I'll look into a more robust version, similar to what I had made for my GTM builds shown HERE. Direct email is best (please); Info @ GuzziTech.com

V7/9 clutch disk:
V7 9 Clutch

V85TT clutch disk:
V85TT Clutch

just can't tell anything from the sound track. Guzzi just like dry clutch Ducati make noise.
by weak are you referring to the feel at the lever. if so it's fine. Designed that way. is it actually slipping? put it in sixth gear at 3500 RPM and open the throttle wide open hard. if the clutch is bad it will slip. if Ok the bike will pull ahead steadily.

just can't tell anything from the sound track. Guzzi just like dry clutch Ducati make noise.
by weak are you referring to the feel at the lever. if so it's fine. Designed that way. is it actually slipping? put it in sixth gear at 3500 RPM and open the throttle wide open hard. if the clutch is bad it will slip. if Ok the bike will pull ahead steadily.

No slipping, by weak I mean it just doesn't grab 'properly'. There is a delay between throttle input and clutch engagement, and you can really feel it during deceleration and when taking off from a stop. It just doesn't impose confidence especially at lower RPM, and I know this isn't something about fueling. It hops and jumps at times at deceleration or even acceleration at lower-ish revs. Even at higher revs, when I let go off the throttle and give it the full beans immediately, I can feel the delay when the clutch engages.

As for the clutch noise, this noise wasn't apparent prior to yesterday. I have 7,000+ km on the bike, possibly 5,000 of which I complained about the clutch.

It's rideable and everything is fine, but after hearing that noise from the clutch area which I have never heard before, I decided to send it to the dealer and have them check it, and hopefully it turns out to be something that can be covered by the warranty. Better yet, hopefully it is nothing at all.

So, I have an update for those that are interested.

First of all, I've seen a slight increase in complaints around several forums of the V85TT clutch, which might not mean much or it could be just a coincidence. Nevertheless, here are the results.

After several weeks of waiting with the whole pandemic thing, my bike was finally admitted for surgery this week, and here are the findings:

2a81e17c 1d46 4399 bd84 039d02cda80c 038d90ed 208c 4225 846e 37b0147ae067 11305c5f 1103 4b30 a667 1eef1660f38f C48ebef8 b059 449b bad5 c19f1bc18375 Ef3b6e35 ca66 4b7b a8d0 efa07db87b6e

According to the mechanics at my dealership, they said these markings are "uneven and abnormal", and it seems as though the clutch plate is not being pushed properly therefore the contact is improper or misaligned.

And this makes me wonder if there was a bad batch of pressure plates or clutches in general that were installed on some V85s, or could this just be an individual thing... Also, does the flywheel and clutch plate look bad? I don't know how some things should or should not look like. I mean visually to anyone, even those that have no mechanical inclination whatsoever, this looks wrong, but mechanically, would it perform bad just because it looks bad?

So Faisal. What happened? Was your clutch replaced under warranty? Did it solve your issue? Surprised there was no follow up here.

Yes, sorry I took a while to update this thread, I actually forgot I made this thread.

But here's the update.

Yes, they changed the clutch under warranty. No, it did not resolve the issue. The symptoms mentioned previously are still apparent.

Also, I've been complaining about the transmission since day 1, specifically the 5-6 shift which I continuously get false neutrals at, whether it be high revs, low revs, medium revs, it doesn't matter, 95% of the time I'll get false neutrals going from 5th to 6th. Sometimes it happens from 4th to 5th, but not soo often.

Here are two clips of these false neutrals, once at mediumish revs and once at higher revs. Sorry for the shaky video, it's the best that would come out from the phone mount. Also, the audio is kind of loud, so maybe turn down the volume first.

I have been getting the occasional false neutral between 5th and 6th, am hoping it improves once the engine loosens up :)

I have been getting the occasional false neutral between 5th and 6th, am hoping it improves once the engine loosens up :)

I'm at 12,000 km now on my V85TT and I've been having this issue since day one. I've complained to the dealer many times. I'm going on a short ride this week with the dealership manager, who's a friend of mine, so he can get direct insight of the issue at hand.

But for me, it isn't occasional, it is constant, and it's such a PITA and embarrassing at times because I look like douche at times when I'm riding past cars / bikes at 100-120 km/h going into 6th and this thing just revs to red line just as I'm passing them..... Very annoying....

Yeah. That needs fixing for sure. Maybe Todd will have some input?

Clutch housing must be getting stuck “out” ..... why only 5 to 6?

Good luck! I’d love to hear how it goes with your dealer friend.

Hi Faisal, my V85TT E5 Centenario has the exact same problem (mine is currently at 6000 KM), I'm experiencing exactly the same thing from 5th to 6th gear with what you had in the videos you uploaded. Have you managed to find a solution or any kind of feedback from an official service ?
Thanks

Hi Faisal, my V85TT E5 Centenario has the exact same problem (mine is currently at 6000 KM), I'm experiencing exactly the same thing from 5th to 6th gear with what you had in the videos you uploaded. Have you managed to find a solution or any kind of feedback from an official service ?
Thanks
You're better off just granny shifting the bike from 4th until 6th, Moto Guzzi won't do anything about it.
I was lucky to get a warranty claim on the uneven wear of the clutch, but changing the clutch didn't do anything.

I love the bike, but there are a lot of quirks that mess up the riding experience, especially the VERY short gear ratios. 5k RPM at 140 km/h in 6th gear and the bike redlines at ~8000 RPM. That's not good for long distance touring.

You're better off just granny shifting the bike from 4th until 6th, Moto Guzzi won't do anything about it.
I was lucky to get a warranty claim on the uneven wear of the clutch, but changing the clutch didn't do anything.

I love the bike, but there are a lot of quirks that mess up the riding experience, especially the VERY short gear ratios. 5k RPM at 140 km/h in 6th gear and the bike redlines at ~8000 RPM. That's not good for long distance touring.
Hi Faisal, thanks for your feedback
Well, that’s what I’ve thought as well. Since I couldn’t reproduce it with lower gears even in steep mountain roads whereas hard accelerating uphill with 3rd or 2nd gear the revs didn’t slip at all; I thought that the problem shouldn’t be in the disc – plate of the clutch. I had a hope that might be a bug in some strange software – electronic interference but that it doesn’t make any sense either.
I’ll try to contact my local dealer and if I come up with anything useful I’ll get back
For the present, such an issue we call it a ‘character’ feature and move on :) I really love the bike as well, hopefully, motoguzzi will come with a solution as well in the near fture🤞 :eek:

Back