• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake recall

I would definitely check it out. The actual procedure doesn't take all that long but waiting for parts can take weeks. PLUS, I believe I read somewhere that if your bike fails, they won't give it back to you until it's fixed (liability reasons, I'm sure). It would be a bummer to have to arrang a ride home!
I sure they'd be glad to sell you another one...lol

Got my letter from piaggio to take the bike to dealers for check. Knee surgery imminent so it's gonna have to wait. As least the weather will be better when I take it in.

Bearing in mind what’s been previously said, think I’ll give my “local “ dealer a call about ordering the parts. As I am at least a two hour ferry trip and two hour road trip away it would be a major ball ache for me should they check the bike and find it necessary to carry out the work without having the parts in situ.
Update. Contacted Piaggo direct and was told my bike is not subject to this recall. Result.

Update. Contacted Piaggo direct and was told my bike is not subject to this recall. Result.
I know this is an old thread, and nothing about my bike suggests it has a problem (I can push it back and fore after releasing the brakes while in neutral) but I never got a call, email or letter in the post regarding a recall for my 2016 Audace. To those guys living in Canada, did you receive any official notification or did you just pre-empt it all by calling piaggio or the dealer

I would contact them directly to find out, they usually don't send anything to those not needing the fix. OR call your dealer w/VIN, better yet go there, the info is on their warranty site. Takes about 10min if they know what they're doing.

I would contact them directly to find out, they usually don't send anything to those not needing the fix. OR call your dealer w/VIN, better yet go there, the info is on their warranty site. Takes about 10min if they know what they're doing.
Thanks Steve - I'll give the dealer a call on Tuesday and keep my fingers crossed that it's not affected, as I no longer live conveniently close to just drop in. I guess my previous post (asking if others in Canada had actually received any official notification while I had not) was an indication that my bike may not be affected. I know some were tested and passed OK, but I guess the potential for a problem is not the same as actually having the problem.

Not trying to waste everyone's time, but, out of interest the NHTSA website lists affected Audace's in the US as having VINs
Begin : zgulcu009gm200001 End : ZGULCU014JM000031

Are those VINs specific to the US market? My bike has the VIN ZGULCU002GM200079 and would appear to not be affected but it was sold in Canada so there may be a separate list of affected VINs for that market. The transport Canada website simply says there is a recall for the Audace without listing specific VINs. Maybe someone with more knowledge of VINs can answer that, but as I said, don't lose any sleep over it as I will call the dealer Tuesday

Last edited:
Hello from the UK

Emailed MotoGuzzi customer support regarding brake recall and if I’m affected or infected
Really easy find the website hit contact us and ask the question and supply the vin number
If it’s infected…they give you a client ref number to book it in with a workshop of your choice

I am infected and I have to visit the MG clinic
vin number ZGULCBOOXHM00069
2017 registered California 1400 SE Touring Nero Gentlemen"………
Just waiting for local dealer to open and book it in …….then watch as their faces contort as ,they suck through their teeth and slowly shake their head to ‘this isn’t standard…..is.it!
Only to admit…as I kick the workshop floor….’no it’s not….but I do come from a travelling circus background if that helps!’

Might even ask them for they key code….just to upset them even more

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

My 2016 Audace required the master brake cylinder recall and replacement.
I called my dealer and emailed piaggio and was told to bring it in. Seems like they all need the check, regardless of VIN. I'm waiting for the weather to improve before making that ride (we've had snow all week). I guess what puzzled me is why I didn't get a letter in the mail from some official source - isn't that how a recall is supposed to work - a notification direct to the owner. Were I not a member of this group, I doubt I would have found out.

Just opened forum to see if there was anything on front brake problems. My 2014 has had this happen twice now. Both times were 1/2 mile from home. After fiddling with the brake lever it freed up and proceeded to work normally. I was nervous and used mostly back brake till I returned home. I didn't see where 2014's were supposed to be affected. Trying to contact Atlanta store to get info.

Just opened forum to see if there was anything on front brake problems. My 2014 has had this happen twice now. Both times were 1/2 mile from home. After fiddling with the brake lever it freed up and proceeded to work normally. I was nervous and used mostly back brake till I returned home. I didn't see where 2014's were supposed to be affected. Trying to contact Atlanta store to get info.

...Not trying to waste everyone's time, but, out of interest the NHTSA website lists affected Audace's in the US as having VINs
Begin : zgulcu009gm200001 End : ZGULCU014JM000031...
This VIN range listed above is specifically related to 2016 - 2018 models. I ran the vin range through my workshop system to confirm.

A 2014 is not in this list and is not expected to have this particular issue caused by this particular identified defect.

Most likely, the reservoir is way overfilled. I see this all the time.

Americans just cannot control themselves and feel this insane need to fill everything to the maximum level they possibly can.

If there is no headspace in the reservoir, then there is no place for the expanding fluid to go to. It gets hot, pressure builds, brakes drag or lock up. Remove the excess fluid to the proper level, and Voila! Problem disappears.

The only other time I see issues with this is when brake fluid has languished in the bike for years and years without being bled and exchanged out, and has taken in so much water, corrosion of the master cylinder and its associated components, has occurred.

I guess what puzzled me is why I didn't get a letter in the mail from some official source - isn't that how a recall is supposed to work - a notification direct to the owner. Were I not a member of this group, I doubt I would have found out.

Did you ever submit the warranty registration card?

They only notify original purchasers and those who have sent in the warranty card update information located in the Warranty Booklet.

(Please note that my last new Moto Guzzi motorcycle is my 2012 Stelvio NTX which I have the warranty book for. I presume there are ones also since then but not positive.)

Last edited:
Did you ever submit the warranty registration card?

They only notify original purchasers and those who have sent in the warranty card update information located in the Warranty Booklet.

(Please note that my last new Moto Guzzi motorcycle is my 2012 Stelvio NTX which I have the warranty book for. I presume there are ones also since then but not positive.)
Well that might explain it. I'm pretty sure I only received an owners booklet. I don't ever recall a separate warranty card (assuming it's not in the booklet somewhere). I'll check next time I dig it out, but wouldn't the dealer normally fill this in? I've bought several cars in Canada over the last 20 years and not had to fill in warranty cards in order to receive recall notifications. Just trying to understand where the break down in communication has taken place.

In the UK, a manufacturer would reach out to the national "Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency" (DVLA) to obtain details of all registered owners of vehicles and that's how a recall would be initiated, but of course every country has it's own way of dealing with these things

The level of responsible conduct by Moto Guzzi “Dealers” runs the entire gamut of possibilities.

I am never shocked at the level of utter apathy demonstrated by some.

It would probably be wise to send an email to Piaggio home office in NYC, to confirm they have your correct VIN and personal information.

At that time you can pose your questions about why you never heard from them and if your information is correct in their database.

Sometimes I really get disgusted at the very poor dealer network in North America. It is not like this in Europe at all.

Moto Guzzi in Europe is a very respected marque (they are the oldest!) and to be a dealer is considered a privilege and an honor.

Most have been so for many decades, like Agostini in Mandello del Lario (65 years) or Teo Lammers in Holland (40 years).

Last edited:
In the UK, a manufacturer would reach out to the national "Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency" (DVLA) to obtain details of all registered owners of vehicles and that's how a recall would be initiated, but of course every country has it's own way of dealing with these things
In Canada car manufacturers notify the current owner of any vehicle according to who the VIN is registered to if there is a safety recall. If you move and renew the ownership they will still contact you. I don't know how it works with motorcycles.

In Canada car manufacturers notify the current owner of any vehicle according to who the VIN is registered to if there is a safety recall. If you move and renew the ownership they will still contact you. I don't know how it works with motorcycles.
It works the same for motorcycles. In 2016 I bought a 2012 v strom and I was the second owner. In 2017 I received a letter from Suzuki Canada about the stator recall, I took it in and they changed the stator free of charge. When I bought my 2021 V85tt the dealer in Edmonton sent in the warranty card.

UPDATE"……..had the recall carried out today and all good.
Front brake now seems less wooden and more compliant.
Also….the GTM spotlight replacement bulbs turned up via a man in shorts and a post office van
Looking to fit this weekend

Anyway……the brake recall is a good upgrade

thanks

Gavin.
The Scottish Engineer

Back