• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzis @ Norton Motorcycles

Chris Jessop

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Yesterday afternoon we visited the Norton factory near Castle Donington, Leicestershire. Organised last October, our tour of the factory lasted 1.5 hours and covered most aspects of production. Norton (quite rightly) make a big thing about their machines being hand-built. The amount of work that goes into making the frames, petrol tanks and exhaust systems is staggering. All this is done on site by skilled people who obviously take a great deal of pride in their work. It's refreshing to see motorcycles still being made this way.

Our favourite machine was the Dominator Naked, it looks just right and is a thing of beauty. Prices range from approx. £10,000 GBP for the new Atlas Nomad 650 to £50,000 GBP for the supercharged Superlight SS which has a full carbon fibre chassis, rear frame, swing arm and wheels.

Norton have a full order book and are expanding production this year to meet demand.

Out of our group of 20 visitors we were the only ones who'd arrived on two-wheels. It was a cold day but riding conditions were spot on. We weren't allowed to take pictures in the motorcycle production area, but we could take pictures in the welding shop and the showroom.

IMG 2158 IMG 2162 IMG 2166 IMG 2175 IMG 2176 IMG 2168 IMG 2179 IMG 2182 IMG 2170

Yesterday afternoon we visited the Norton factory near Castle Donington, Leicestershire.
Fun, thanks for posting. I'm intrigued with the brand, though a bit bittersweet with the battles with Kenny Dreer here in the States over the name - https://www.cycleworld.com/2010/09/09/the-real-commandos-special-feature/

I have a few customers that have bought them, and they've been really problematic, some major (engine) and some more minor issues. Makes Guzzi seem like a Honda. ;)

Todd, thanks for the Cycle World link, it makes interesting reading.

Before the tour started we were given a short presentation on the history of Norton. Kenny Dreer was credited with keeping the brand alive and his teams development work in the USA. There's an American made Norton in the National Motorcycle Museum, Solihull. I'll have to have a closer look at it next time I'm there. Its silhouette certainly looked very similar to the 961 you can buy now.

Todd, thanks for the Cycle World link, it makes interesting reading. Its silhouette certainly looked very similar to the 961 you can buy now.
Welcome. I got to ride a Dreer Norton c2003 (or so) and spoke with him at length then while I was contributing at Cycle World.
As I understand it, most everything he created and produced (including design files and all tooling) went to the UK when the deal was done, so it’s my understanding that it is nearly identical to the one I rode.
I’ll reach out to Mark Hoyer, or David Edwards (bikeexif.com/david-edwards-cycle-world) who owns one, for more details.

Since first posting this topic I've learnt so much more about Kenny Dreer and his pivotal role in the history of Norton. Prior to our visit to the Norton factory I had no idea that the four 961's being assembled in front of me* owed so much to Kenny and his team in Portland, Oregon.

* Such a shame I couldn't take any photos.

Yes, very sad news indeed. During our visit everything was so positive regarding their order book and their plans for expanding production. That Cycle World feature certainly puts the financial situation into perspective. I hope everything works out for their dedicated employees and customers who have paid money upfront for motorcycles.

I was lucky enough to see a rotary Norton being raced. Man what a fantastic sound it made. I hadn't really got to excited about the latest Norton to be honest sure they are a great looking bike but I had heard the were plagued with reliability issues and very expensive where as in the same league there is a whole host of classicly styled twin cylinder bikes for far less money that are providing reliable service. It's nice to take your bike out for a ride but it's so much nicer if it brings you home surely it's not too much to ask at this stage of the game. I am more impressed with the Royal Enfield 650 for practically half the price of the Norton and considerably less than a Triumph twin if we are talking old British brand name bikes. The Enfield are selling like hot cakes so just as well they are nice bikes. That got a frame designed by Harris and when I was a school boy they were the frame makers before the alloy beam frames became all the rage. Still 100 jobs gone and all the people getting ripped off left right and center its a very sad day indeed.

Wow good news. Royal Enfield and Norton are now made in India....
I'm in 2 minds about whether thats good news or not so good news. I'm far from impressed with the Performance of the Royal Enfields being sold in the USA.

As an Ex-Pat Brit with a 80 mile round trip to work on motorways and narrow, twisty country roads, my favorite daily riders were Nortons, until I aquired my first Guzzi.

My Nortons seemed to handle and perform well in all conditions. Really enjoyed riding them a lot.

My concern is based on how "Retro" the RE's are in almost every way.

I'd be really dissapointed to see Nortons get the same treatment.

I saw one of the new generation Norton Commando at a bike shop in Auckland. It looked the same old Norton with updated brakes and suspension.

But the price was ridiculous. I can't remember the exact figure, but I think I could have purchased two V85s for the same price. I don't think they are available anymore, whether any sold is unlikely.

To be fair India is fast becoming a major player in world trade specially in the pharmaceutical and tech industries. I've been quite impressed with some of the Royal Enfield offerings and the new 500 is a stunner and if they can keep the Norton name afloat with quality, reasonable priced offerings then I say go for it. I think the quality control of some of the big marques in the bike industry now leaves a lot to be desired with prices reaching silly levels. I've got no intention of changing the Eldorado anyway so it can see me into retirement and beyond :).

I have looked at the various Royal Enfield options. And honestly, there are many aspects of the build quality that are impressive. Many other brands, including Guzzi, would be doing well to build them that well.

Back