• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

At wits end with Startus Interuptus

Earl Bowman

Tuned and Synch'ed
After reading and commenting on this post
A different kind of startus interruptus
Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by pswiatki, Oct 10, 2019.

I am at my wits end trying to solve my startus interuptus issue. I'm having the EXACT same issues as pswiatki above. The starter gives a very strong "thunk" upon pressing the start button, then nothing happens. The fuel pump and dashboard cycle appropriately but no cranking occurs. I had installed MPH Cycles relay wiring kit some time ago and all was good for a year or more. I have moved the ground wires to the larger engine bolts under the throttle bodies, cleaned and checked the battery connections, disassembled and cleaned the starter button contacts, cleaned and replaced the fuses and contacts, replaced the starter and cleaned up all the relay plugs. If i connect my power probe to the battery it reads 13.2 v fully charged at the terminals and at the starter connection. If I use the probe to send battery voltage directly to the starter solenoid it cranks and starts EVERY time. I have load tested my Anti Gravity Li ion battery (480 CCA) and my tester says it's good. When this all started it would take between 5 and 20 times hitting the starter button to engage the starter then eventually that went to "never". I love this bike when it starts but I can't ride it if it won't start reliably and I'm now so frustrated I'm actually considering the unthinkable... Help!

Last edited:
So if you put 12v directly to the solenoid and it starts ok I would look at the relay that sends 12v to the solenoid, could be burnt contacts, just a thought.
Thanks, that was my next thought, too. I thought someone posted a couple years ago that Triumph used the same relays that we have but I couldn't find the post in my search. Anybody know if that's true and if so which models crossover?

In 2006 I ventured for the first time into fuel injected Guzzis. A 2000 V-11 Sport.
I had owned it for 2 days (!) when the starter relay failed. The dealer and service manager knew nothing.
The early relays were flawed.
Someone had slipped me the name Guzzi Teck.
Here I found Dan Pernuski (forgive me if a misspelled the last name) of DP Guzzi. You better give him a shout.
He had done all the research and sourced the proper relays for all of us to ride in peace.
Our friend Dan always has the latest and greatest; http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm
You are both in the US, so a couple of days in the mail should be all.
Go for it, and good luck.

In 2006 I ventured for the first time into fuel injected Guzzis. A 2000 V-11 Sport.
I had owned it for 2 days (!) when the starter relay failed. The dealer and service manager knew nothing.
The early relays were flawed.
Someone had slipped me the name Guzzi Teck.
Here I found Dan Pernuski (forgive me if a misspelled the last name) of DP Guzzi. You better give him a shout.
He had done all the research and sourced the proper relays for all of us to ride in peace.

You are both in the US, so a couple of days in the mail should be all.
Go for it, and good luck.
Just checked out Dan's dpguzzi page and the FAQ section says none of his relays fit Breva, Griso, Norge or later model MG. Ugh! Back to the Aprilia drawing board I guess.

Relays aside, I don't see where your "Startus Interuptus" is any different than everyone else's.
It sounds like the system works right up until the starter solenoid engages. At that moment the voltage the ECU sees drops below it threshold for starting (the starter system is trying to draw voltage), and the ECU aborts the starting attempt.
It sounds very typical to me.

the smartest thing to do with all Guzzi's is to get all new 5 prong relays from DP and replace the stock ones. use deoxit on the connections and pull and clean all every few years. odds are his web site isn't updated. also you can walk into any auto parts store and get a new one. no need to pay 3 times more at a bike shop.
Most likely your problem is just a dirty ignition switch. put a old towel under it so you don't spill on the fender and flush the crap out of it with spray electrical cleaner.

Sadly you can't walk into any parts store and get them. They are used on later Guzzi and Aprilia models. They are not the normal industry standard relays.

Don't know if Dan now stocks them, he certainly didn't when I asked.
One alternative - others also exist I'm sure - af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=4345

Attachments

• P1000150.JPG
    P1000150.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Just checked out Dan's dpguzzi page and the FAQ section says none of his relays fit Breva, Griso, Norge or later model MG. Ugh! Back to the Aprilia drawing board I guess.
Oy, didn't know that. Now noted. I would also look at the starter solenoid. It is noted here on the site that it can get sticky... perhaps worth pulling apart and cleaning in addition to the wiring circuit due to the age of the bike.
If you get too frustrated, send it down and we'll make it a GTM build. ;)

If all else fails make up your own wiring circuit and install. Then it will work all the time, just delete the errors you get on dash once in a while.

Oy, didn't know that. Now noted. I would also look at the starter solenoid. It is noted here on the site that it can get sticky... perhaps worth pulling apart and cleaning in addition to the wiring circuit due to the age of the bike.
If you get too frustrated, send it down and we'll make it a GTM build. ;)
Thanks, Todd. I'll keep that in mind.

Sadly you can't walk into any parts store and get them. They are used on later Guzzi and Aprilia models. They are not the normal industry standard relays.

Don't know if Dan now stocks them, he certainly didn't when I asked.
One alternative - others also exist I'm sure - af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=4345
Thanks, Brian. I already had the replacement relays in my que on the AF1 site but thought I'd make one last plea for any new ideas here before pulling the trigger on them.

Relays aside, I don't see where your "Startus Interuptus" is any different than everyone else's.
It sounds like the system works right up until the starter solenoid engages. At that moment the voltage the ECU sees drops below it threshold for starting (the starter system is trying to draw voltage), and the ECU aborts the starting attempt.
It sounds very typical to me.
That's right, it's finding the source of the voltage drop that is so frustrating.

Back