• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

carbs needed

fossilrder

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey guys, Steve here. I have a friend who is needing a carb/set of carbs for a '60s V7 Ambassador he picked up. All of the Guzzis I have owned have been later models, T3,etc. so I really am not familiar with what he is telling me came with this bike. The numbers on the carbs (one of which is not repairable) are SS129D and DS. The carb that is not useable is the left side (DS). I told him the later carbs might work but I'm not sure. Any help or info would be appreciated. R
Thanks, Steve

Steve, check with Moe at CycleGarden.com or Mark at MotoGuzziClassics.com - if those both turn up nothing, post again.

Be prepared to pay lots of $$ for a pair of SS1s. And then be prepared for leaks and poor fueling. If he's going for a 100 point, totally correct restoration that won't be ridden, then they might make sense. If he actually wants to ride the bike and have it perform like it should, then it would be better to find a pair of VHB 29 from an Ambassador or Eldorado or VHB 30s from a T, T3, Convert etc. Buy the matching manifolds to go with the carbs - they're different than the ones for SS1s.

Thanks, Charlie. That is the info we needed. So, to be sure I understand, the bolt pattern for the manifolds for these early carbs is the same as the bolt pattern for the T/T3. So we just need the stock manifolds and carbs for the T/T3? He just wants the bike for a rider and "correctness" doesn't really matter. Thanks again for the help. Steve

The bolt pattern for all of the manifolds is the same. There are two important differences: the angle of the bend and the "spigot" diameter. If one uses VHBs on SS1 manifolds, the float bowl may interfere with the engine case. The "spigot" (machined section of the manifold that the carb slips onto) is different diameters for VHB 29s (35 mm) and VHB 30s (37 mm), so you need the manifolds to match the carbs.

I believe that I have some old VHB 30 carbs and manifolds that will be really inexpensive if you think you might use them. I will look in my carb box tonight when I get home and verify.

I looked and I have 2 each VHB30CS and VHB30CD. One set is complete with slides, jets etc. The other set has intake manifolds and intakes attached but no slides. Let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I found a set of manifolds on ebay
and got them today. Hopefully they are correct for his carbs. One additional question is concerning the manifold gaskets and phenolic spacers. The gaskets I got are really thick, maybe 1/8" or more, and I looked at my T3 and found that it doesn't have the phenolic spacers but has what appear to be the thick gaskets. I believe I have bought and used a much thinner gasket on previous T3s. Question is, do you still need the spacers if using the thick gaskets? I don't remember running into this situation before. Also, Gyrorex, I might be interested in a set of the carbs for a spare, since I have 2 T3s and seem to find it hard to pass on an orphan needing a home.! So let me know what you are asking and I will think about it. Again, much appreciated. Steve

There should be two (approx. 1/8" thick) manifold gaskets on each side. On the V700 there is a "reducer tube" that fits into the intake port - the flange gets sandwiched in between the two manifold gaskets. I've never seen any phenolic spacer.

There are also fiber isolator washers that fit into the manifold at each attaching bolt.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I found a set of manifolds on ebay
and got them today. Hopefully they are correct for his carbs. One additional question is concerning the manifold gaskets and phenolic spacers. The gaskets I got are really thick, maybe 1/8" or more, and I looked at my T3 and found that it doesn't have the phenolic spacers but has what appear to be the thick gaskets. I believe I have bought and used a much thinner gasket on previous T3s. Question is, do you still need the spacers if using the thick gaskets? I don't remember running into this situation before. Also, Gyrorex, I might be interested in a set of the carbs for a spare, since I have 2 T3s and seem to find it hard to pass on an orphan needing a home.! So let me know what you are asking and I will think about it. Again, much appreciated. Steve

Steve,
I was thinking about 100 for the complete pair, I have no forseeable use for them and they need a good home!

Well, another question: I gave the manifolds to my buddy and he says he now needs the insulator sleeves between the manifolds and carbs. All I can find are listed some places as only fitting the VHB29 carbs another place they are listed as fitting 27-30 carbs.? The carbs he has are VHB30s and the manifolds measure 37mm on the spigot OD. Should this require a sleeve? I haven't seen the carbs yet but might run by his place tonight and see what is going on.? The sleeves listed at MG Cycle say for 29 and do not include the 30. Very confusing. As listed by Ambo man, the two ODs of the spigots for the 29 and 30 carbs are different so the same sleeve can't work for both. Thanks for any more info.

Well, another question: I gave the manifolds to my buddy and he says he now needs the insulator sleeves between the manifolds and carbs. All I can find are listed some places as only fitting the VHB29 carbs another place they are listed as fitting 27-30 carbs.? The carbs he has are VHB30s and the manifolds measure 37mm on the spigot OD. Should this require a sleeve? I haven't seen the carbs yet but might run by his place tonight and see what is going on.? The sleeves listed at MG Cycle say for 29 and do not include the 30. Very confusing. As listed by Ambo man, the two ODs of the spigots for the 29 and 30 carbs are different so the same sleeve can't work for both. Thanks for any more info.

No, they should not require a different sleeve - the VHB 30s have the 37 x 40 sleeve to fit onto manifolds with a 37 mm diameter "spigot". They are a tight fit, so maybe he thinks they're the wrong ones?It's always possible that someone could have changed the sleeves to 35 x 40 though.

The sleeves on MG Cycle are 35 x 40 and will not work on manifolds with a 37 mm o.d.

Sorry to have to keep asking about this, but are you saying there are actually two different sleeves, one with a 35mm ID and another with a 37mm ID but both with a 40mm OD? If that is the case, where can I get the ones with the 37mm ID, since all I see are the 35mm ID. Thanks again.

Sorry to have to keep asking about this, but are you saying there are actually two different sleeves, one with a 35mm ID and another with a 37mm ID but both with a 40mm OD? If that is the case, where can I get the ones with the 37mm ID, since all I see are the 35mm ID. Thanks again.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I don't know of a source for the 37 x 40 sleeves - they've been unavailable for years. When I needed some for a customer's G5, I machined them out of Delrin tube.

I thought that might be the case so I also turned a set on my lathe out of a bar of HDPE I had left over from another project. That suff machines really nicely. Thanks again, Steve

Back