• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removing Exhaust Wrap...?

MotoGuzzi12

Tuned and Synch'ed
Does anyone here have any experience removing exhaust wraps?

I just picked up a '15 V7 ii Special and the exhaust pipes could really use some TLC...any suggestions?

I may just rewrap them if that's going to be my best options.

If I remember correctly, last time I cleaned the chrome pipes on my V50 I just used Coke...

Picture attached but I'll try to get some close up tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Joey

93E43FEA EF8D 4715 A985 0BE2988821F5

There are several good products. I prefer Nevr-Dull. There are a lot of threads on this subject if you do a search.

If you re-wrap them they will deteriorate over time especially if it's parked outside and the wrap gets wet.

If you re-wrap them they will deteriorate over time especially if it's parked outside and the wrap gets wet.

I have never understood any practical reason for wrapping motorcycle exhaust pipes except, possibly, to provide protection against burning yourself while riding. But manufacturers do a pretty good of protecting using heat shields, etc. So given this, is there any REAL practical reason for doing this (not "it looks cool", "it adds to performance", etc.)

I have never understood any practical reason for wrapping motorcycle exhaust pipes except, possibly, to provide protection against burning yourself while riding. But manufacturers do a pretty good of protecting using heat shields, etc. So given this, is there any REAL practical reason for doing this (not "it looks cool", "it adds to performance", etc.)

I agree Dave. I have always been under the impression that it is strictly for aesthetics., especially with a modern bike..my case would be the same, however, out of "necessity."

If I cannot remove the black gunk/tar-like adhesive that was used to wrap the pipes by its previous owner (scemo), I think I'd rather wrap them again to hid my "scars."

IMG 6350 IMG 6351

That pitting is likely from being wrapped.
Are the V7 pipes chrome or stainless?
You should never wrap normal steel pipes, chromed or otherwise. Only wrap quality stainless steel pipes. There are reasons to wrap an exhaust pipe other than "because it looks cool". But realistically none of the other reasons would really apply to a V7 (things like maintaining exhaust gas velocity won't really matter on a V7).
If the pipes are chrome, you can try a chrome polish.
If the pipes are stainless you can use emery cloth to sand the marks off. Then you can polish the steel back to a shine or go with the brushed stainless look.
But something tells me they are chrome on a V7.
Todds pipes are a great option.

That pitting is likely from being wrapped.
Are the V7 pipes chrome or stainless?
You should never wrap normal steel pipes, chromed or otherwise. Only wrap quality stainless steel pipes. There are reasons to wrap an exhaust pipe other than "because it looks cool". But realistically none of the other reasons would really apply to a V7 (things like maintaining exhaust gas velocity won't really matter on a V7).
If the pipes are chrome, you can try a chrome polish.
If the pipes are stainless you can use emery cloth to sand the marks off. Then you can polish the steel back to a shine or go with the brushed stainless look.
But something tells me they are chrome on a V7.
Todds pipes are a great option.
Thanks Michael!

That looks like they are pitted, and if so, likely not much you can do. 000 Steel wool is worth a shot. Thanks for posting the pics, shows all the reasons not to do it.
If you want to increase performance along with a cosmetic upgrade as well, I offer a few options here; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/exhaust/model_v7-c-s?sort_by=best-selling
Thanks Todd! I'm going to give it some elbow grease for now as I don't have the money for a new set of pipes...hopefully later down the line...

Thanks Todd! I'm going to give it some elbow grease for now as I don't have the money for a new set of pipes...hopefully later down the line...
My 2 cents worth. When funds allow I personally would make Todd’s store my first port of call.
Unless your exhaust was made from an old drain pipe I can’t honestly understand why people use wrapping. Hideous practice.

If I cannot remove the black gunk/tar-like adhesive that was used to wrap the pipes by its previous owner (scemo), I think I'd rather wrap them again to hid my "scars."

Wow! This could be a precautionary tale about why NOT to apply exhaust wrap. Sorry that you are burdened by someone else's mistake. I agree with what others have already said (#0000 steel wool + "elbow grease"). Or.......this might be great justification to purchase Todd's replacement system if the budget allows.

I’m thinking about it because I’ve seen evidence of chipped black paint on exhaust. Still researching and there’s a lot of nay saying. Seems like as long as the bike isn’t stored wet…

If it is adhesive, try WD40. If it is a combination of adhesive and pitting, try WD40 along with steel wool and lots of elbow grease.

Re-wrap them. Save yourself the headache and scrubbing. Use the DEI Titanium wrap. The best one out there and very inexpensive. I wanted the look so I bought an extra set of down pipes for my V9 and wrapped them. I didn't want to wrap the originals not knowing what the wrap will do to them. It's been 5 years now and there's no damage to the wrap or pipes, however, my bikes is always garaged and almost never ridden in snow or rain. I have other bikes for $hitty weather. I'd say that at this point you have nothing to lose, wrap them again using DEI. However, if you ride in the rain and the bike stays outside in the elements the wrap may/will rot the pipes.

Back