• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the 1200 8V engine tappet failure but were afraid to ask.

I don't think you need records of maintenance, that's a myth. OR the dealer is trying to get out of doing the job.
For a warranty claim dealers has to submit pictures to Costa Mesa office. Then approved they do work. I used to take them apart, take pics, put back together, ride till parts arrive. That way it's not sitting w/loose cyl to get dirt under where oil seeps out on block at base.
If you have the A5 motor the heads come off. 3 different kits. That depending on which motor you have.
It's not a bad job. There is a Tech Bulletin on doing it. Another covers the different kits.
Do a search for Roller Tappets, it's explained here very well.
Search online for P/N #1A002082

I don't think you need records of maintenance, that's a myth. OR the dealer is trying to get out of doing the job.
For a warranty claim dealers has to submit pictures to CostaMesa office. Then approved they do work. I used to take them apart, take pics, put back together, ride till parts arrive. That way it's not sitting w/loose cyl to get dirt under where oil seeps out on block at base.
If you have the A5 motor the heads come off. 3 different kits. That depending on which motor you have.
It's not a bad job. There is a Tech Bulletin on doing it. Another covers the different kits.
Do a search for Roller Tappets, it's explained here very well.
Thanks!
Yes it’s an A5 engine
Date of production of the bike is 07/2008. If I am right, it’s the first batch of Griso with the 1200cc engine.

I have updated around 30 8V's as a tech working at dealers. Started professionally in 88 for Guzzi/bmw shop. AND was one of 3 techs for Guzzi that did the time study/procedure for warranty claims in 09 on original A5's w/tappets too flat.
I also had a Guzzi shop in IL for 10yrs and was MGNOC state rep for club. Just a little background.
Say as you wish, I don't argue on forums only try to help others.
Scott, you may even know me. I have a longtime friend right down in Arlington. Went to OH rallies for years.
I do know how you feel, believe me, after around 18yrs on the forums I'm ready to go back analog.

Last edited:
I have updated around 30 8V's as a tech working at dealers. Started professionally in 88 for Guzzi/bmw shop. AND was one of 3 techs for Guzzi that did the time study/procedure for warranty claims in 09 on original A5's w/tappets too flat.
I also had a Guzzi shop in IL for 10yrs and was MGNOC state rep for club. Just a little background.
Say as you wish, I don't argue on forums only try to help others.
Scott, you may even know me. I have a longtime friend right down in Arlington. Went to OH rallies for years.
I do know how you feel, believe me, after around 18yrs on the forums I'm ready to go back analog.

I stand corrected and am obviously wrong. My stupid mistake.

Good to know about you but then WTH would you call what I wrote a “myth”? That really set me off, especially 2 years after the fact.

I try very hard to never discount or slight what somebody obviously takes a great deal of time, creating for the benefit of others.

Guess I just don’t have the patience or desire to do this kind of thing anymore...

I try to be helpful, and I end up getting burned over and over. It’s too much really.

It’s been really bad lately in the Soviet Steeds forum, as I also own a 2017 Ural Gear Up in my 7 bike menagerie.

So, I apologize for my anger and response. I’m sure I over-reacted. Wouldn’t be the first time but I tell you now, it’s the last as I’m done posting diddly squat.

I do not believe we have ever met. Maybe I’m wrong again. If you are referring to Mark Rose, then yes, I know him well. He is my best friend and we ride together and I work on his motorcycles (Stelvio NTX and R1200RT) and have been teaching him motorcycle mechanics. I don’t think Mark has introduced me to anybody but his friend Craig, with the KTM that I worked on his wheel and changed his tires on my tire machine.

If you are ever down here this way again, allow me to apologize in person and shake your hand.

I’m sorry for causing a problem.

I need to just stay the hell away from forums. They upset me. Guess I’m getting old.

Last edited:
Scott, I think you do great write-ups, have read your bio long time back. Don't quit.

Sorry if you got wrong idea on my post

The myth thing was referring to the proof of maintenance to get warranty work only. Like if you don't use the dealer & do it yourself, they can't refuse warranty cause of it. Only one I saw get No was a Norge w/no oil on stick, that's abuse to them.

I got sick of being a dash mechanic & such electrical problems, then the MGX came out and I bailed. Nasty drive to go to work across ATL traffic to dealer also. Retired w/a few good customers on the side. Just enough to squeak by financially.

I may have to come up to Arlington, my friend Matt (Little Blue Man) has had broken turn signals for bout 8yrs, then lost a bolt for new ones. Just an excuse, he's had lots of life stuff happen. That's the 93 Cali FI, he also has a V65SP w/bad batt. I tuned Cali in 06.
He used to tour & attend Guzzi rallies like me in 80's & 90's.
I'll let you know if I come up. Thanks

Guess I just don’t have the patience or desire to do this kind of thing anymore... I try to be helpful, and I end up getting burned over and over. It’s too much really.
Thanks Todd. Same to you and yours!
I feel you Scott, I'm right there in many ways. Downside for me is it's my Forum, and a significant source of my income that this Forum feeds by online Store purchases, which in turn pays mostly for this website. The freebie social media sites really are fracturing most things like attitudes and expectations, and too many are bringing that here. Try to only post in the Ask the Wrench section. That may help.
Welcome/thanks... full throttle into 2020. ;)

Just been informed by the distributor that my Stelvio (just purchased with only 27000kms on it) with engine no 12669 and build date of 29/3/12 is a flat tappet engine
Bugger
I thought it had a build date of 1/5/12 as on the original sales docket, and an engine no significantly more than 12596 would put me in the clear.

Did you know that in the UK at least it is unlawful to demand a full dealer service history? If you can prove through record keeping that the bike has received servicing from a 'suitably competent person' this is regarded in law as a reasonable substitute. I was told this by an official from the UK's consumer protection agency.

Yes, this is correct, however you may need to resort to the law if Piaggio doesn't honour it. Time consuming and potentially expensive.

Last edited:
Just been informed by the distributor that my Stelvio (just purchased with only 27000kms on it) with engine no 12669 and build date of 29/3/12 is a flat tappet engine
Bugger
I thought it had a build date of 1/5/12 as on the original sales docket, and an engine no significantly more than 12596 would put me in the clear.
Build date and rollers are a grey area, done like always when they ran out of flats they put rollers in. Motors keep rolling down assembly line. Someone else will fix it in warranty.

does the problem come suddenly or you get some warning before the issue ? i have a Norge 2011 and plan to go on a longtrip! for now is runnig lovely and no strange sounds. dare i go on the trip?
Greetings Lage

With my 1200 Sport 4V it came on within a 150 km of riding in an afternoon. The engine became more clattery ( never quiet to begin with ) and was loosing performance. When I nursed it home and allowed it to cool overnight, checked the valve clearances and three valves had opened up. From 15 to 17 on two exhaust valves and 10 to 11 on one inlet. It had gone 600 km since last checked with no adjustment required.
My boss had a 09 Stelvio with 25,000 km and it was running fine but Pete Roper changed the valve system on that when he did mine and it was showing early deterioration of the cam and tappets.
Both engines were caught early enough to avoid further internal damage.
In your situation with a long trip being planned, perhaps do it now before they fail, because for sure at some point, they will fail.
Cheers.

Build date and rollers are a grey area, done like always when they ran out of flats they put rollers in. Motors keep rolling down assembly line. Someone else will fix it in warranty.
Turns out my machine was a factory roller machine after all. phew!!
The distributor got me nervous unnecessarily. A couple of pictures sent to them changed their mind, backed up by the great info on this site.
cheers

thanks for you answer! and i will have it changed before i go.. :)

Excellent result. Mixed emotions, do you throttle the dealer or hug him ?
It was the distributor (Peter Stevens) in Oz who gave the misleading info. They don't sell many Guzzis down here in Tassie and frankly I had to tell the local blokes here about the issue, and what to look for based on the advice on this forum. Advice which I presume they checked in the form of photos they took themselves with the distributor.
I suppose it goes to show how slack Moto Guzzi was in 2012 in documenting exactly where and when the changes were made, and keeping records for the rest of the world to rely upon.
Having sad that I quite like my Stelvio.
Will like it even more once the home detention period finishes.

This is a great forum and a great resource for those (like me) who catch Griso

It is such a pity that the same engine metallurgy muppets who designed the valve gear on the V75S and the Lario were let back in to Mandello to screw up the 1200 engine as well.

I hope that Aprilia buried them in the car park. But i guess the cost of the semi-recall finished off the 1200 :(

This is a great forum and a great resource for those (like me) who catch Griso

It is such a pity that the same engine metallurgy muppets who designed the valve gear on the V75S and the Lario were let back in to Mandello to screw up the 1200 engine as well.

I hope that Aprilia buried them in the car park. But i guess the cost of the semi-recall finished off the 1200 :(
No it was actually Euro emission standards that killed it. That is also why they are all tuned far too lean from the factory. Todd's fuelling fixes work wonders to remedy the problem.

Back