• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Syncing throttle bodies...instructions?

Ray R

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I tried searching, and I'm surprised I couldn't find any. I won't be surprised if it's just user error. ;)

Can someone point me to instructions on syncing the throttle bodies? I have a twin-max, and want to give it a go.

Ray R said:
I tried searching, and I'm surprised I couldn't find any. I won't be surprised if it's just user error. ;)

Can someone point me to instructions on syncing the throttle bodies? I have a twin-max, and want to give it a go.

It appears all the posts didn't make the migration from the old forum. Download the general service manual for the 1100 Breva in the download section. The same basic procedure is used on all the closed loop FI bikes. I'll repeat, don't touch the sacred screw on the left TB. However, if you don't have VDSTS or access to an Axone or Navigator, don't touch the TBs. You can make things worse if you can't reset the TPS.

Thanks, guys. I just ordered the VDSTS today.

Just to make sure, because I sometimes need visuals, as I look at the throttle body on the left of the Stelvio, the throttle stop screw (sacred screw) is the one that looks to have a lock nut holding it in place (although the nut looks welded to the bracket). The balance adjusting screw is the one that has the spring around it? And the air bleed screws appear to be brass and use an alen wrench for adjustment?

I figured out my search didn't work because I searched for sync instead of balance. Like I said, user error. :oops:

Ray R said:
Thanks, guys. I just ordered the VDSTS today.

Just to make sure, because I sometimes need visuals, as I look at the throttle body on the left of the Stelvio, the throttle stop screw (sacred screw) is the one that looks to have a lock nut holding it in place (although the nut looks welded to the bracket). The balance adjusting screw is the one that has the spring around it? And the air bleed screws appear to be brass and use an alen wrench for adjustment?

I figured out my search didn't work because I searched for sync instead of balance. Like I said, user error. :oops:

Basically:
Close both air bypass screws (two screws with a spring around them).
Check balance at ~3000 RPM. Adjust the balance rod using the screw on the left that looks like it has a nut locked on it.
Reset the TPS at idle if way off.
Now that high speed is balanced, set the idle balance by opening the the air bypass on the side with the high vacuum.
Check/reset the TPS at idle if needed.

The 'sacred screws' are the stop screws that the throttle hits home against in the throttle body casting.
The yellow paint is on everything, so you can't go by that.

I found on mine that BOTH of the air bypass screws were open. The balance was poor and there was a good bit of vibration. I had to open the air bypass screw on the left a LOT to get balance. So I closed the 'sacred screw' on the left body a little bit. That let me close the left air bypass a good bit and still get good balance. I heard mention from someone that the air bypass screws ( with the springs) can vibrate out, so don't let it get too loose.

One thing I noticed is that most instructions infer that there is only an idle stop screw 'sacred' on the left side. Mine has one on the left and the right.

Sorry, I'm still confused. I took a couple of photos in hopes someone could label "A", "B", and "C". I guess I'm just a visual person.

Throttle Screws Throttle Screw

I got it. "A" is the throttle body balancing screw (left TB only), "B" is the "sacred" throttle body stop screw (both throttle bodies have one on the Stelvio), and "C" is the air bypass screw (left and right). The throttle bodies on the Stelvio are a little different than what's shown in the Breva manual, but close enough that I get the idea. Thank you all VERY much!

Ray R said:
I got it. "A" is the throttle body balancing screw (left TB only), "B" is the "sacred" throttle body stop screw (both throttle bodies have one on the Stelvio), and "C" is the air bypass screw (left and right). The throttle bodies on the Stelvio are a little different than what's shown in the Breva manual, but close enough that I get the idea. Thank you all VERY much!

Not sure why you would use the Breva manuals. Use the Griso 8V manuals. Those throttle bodies are a better match for the 8V Stelvio. The procedure is the same. In particular, the air bypass screws are in the open with a spring on them on the 8V. In the Breva they are inside the housing. And the Stelvio, at least mine, has an idle stop/sacred screw, on both left and right bodies. Not sure why the one on the right, but it has it.

At this point, which manual doesn't really matter. The procedure is the same. What matters to me is that I have the screws identified correctly. The photos I posted above are of the throttle bodies on my Stelvio, so now I know I have them right.
Thanks again to all who helped here.

Ray R said:
At this point, which manual doesn't really matter. The procedure is the same. What matters to me is that I have the screws identified correctly. The photos I posted above are of the throttle bodies on my Stelvio, so now I know I have them right.
Thanks again to all who helped here.

My point was the photos on the Griso 8V manual are a match, to answer your question on the screws.

Let me know if you have the idle stop 'don't touch' screw on the right also.

Wayne Orwig said:
Let me know if you have the idle stop 'don't touch' screw on the right also.

Yep, I have a stop screw on the right as well.

Hello. I am new to the forum as I have just purchased my first Moto Guzzi - a 2009 Norge. I am very pleased. But I am posting with a question about balancing the throttle bodies. I have everything I need and I know what to adjust and when, and what not to adjust. However, the bike came to me with a vacuum hose between the two nipples that connect to the nanometer to test. This seems a terrible idea to me, equivalent to just leaving the nipples unplugged. The hose is obviously not factory, as it is US sized. Am I wrong, or should this whole assembly be taken off and tossed?

It is fine for a hose between the 2, it's not like having a hose off. I been doing that since they put on charcoal canisters. You can also use a rubber vacuum cap on the outlets or take spigots out & install screws the right length.

Back