• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is this a main oil seal leak?

Wow, someone is watching and reading! Thanks so much for the follow up. That link was super helpful, definitely a step in the right direction.

Looks like my next step is figure out whether or not this is a DYI or dealer job. It sounds like even "competent" mechanics are having trouble fixing this leak. I just have real issues with dealership shops, unfortunately I've had some bad experiences.

I guess my next question would be does anyone have a success story having the rear main or flange seal repaired without leaks later on....OR is this part just a ticking time bomb (repaired or not)?

Any idea what a (reasonable) repair would cost in 2020?

Also, any suggestions as to where to find a step-by-step repair for the home mechanic?

The ones I fixed didn't leak later. I used Threebond and no gasket, you get a kit to fix it from the Importer. Shorter bolts, thicker oring. There was a Service bulletin on it. Labor will be over 10hrs. Motor has to come down, no crabbing CARC frames. The procedure is in the service manual cept for the bulletin.

The ones I fixed didn't leak later. I used Threebond and no gasket, you get a kit to fix it from the Importer. Shorter bolts, thicker oring. There was a Service bulletin on it. Labor will be over 10hrs. Motor has to come down, no crabbing CARC frames. The procedure is in the service manual cept for the bulletin.
Thanks for your input (as always) Steve. We have this job down to a solid 5.5 hours at my shop in Orange.

There's no end-user how-to video that I am aware of. The Service manual covers it.

Appointment is a probably a week or two out. I can ride it, rides great but when I pull into the garage its like 15 drops on the floor....its no bueno. I put a baking pan under it, I'm a little worried about it getting on the back wheel while riding, but maybe I worry too much. I really like to wrench on my stuff, my internal debate is venture into it myself or let the dealer do it. I think I will wait to see how things unfold after they look at it.

Guess what path I’m headed down next? It’ll be either gearbox or rear main on my 08 Norge. Both jobs seem to be rough.
Sorry for reviving another old thread. At least I didn’t start a new one. Seems like these rear main seals and bolt length issues were either good or bad from the get go and not a 33k mile issue. Now that I’ve got pan/sump gaskets and oil sensor done it seems I’m working my way through the lube systems.

Edit: While standing in the shower I was thinking through my recent work. There was a long rubber hose that went nowhere. There was also a seemingly empty port on the top rear of the Airbox. I wiggled this lonely long hose onto the empty port thinking perhaps it should go there. NOW I’m thinking perhaps that was the purposely vacant vent tube from the gearbox that I may have plugged into a sealed hole on the Airbox. Guess I’ll wiggle the tank off x3/1week and remove that line. Rear drip didn’t start until after I did that.
IMG 4667

Last edited:
Gearbox Oil and Engine Oil will smell very different, with the former the more evil-smelling of the two.

I'm not familiar with the Blow-By system on the Norge(s), but I believe it's similar to the Stelvios.

A Hose from the Condensate Tank at the Headstock (where the Engine Breather Hoses go to) goes into the front of the Airbox, it feeds excess Oil Vapour into there to be burnt.
A second Hose is the one you can see in your photo, combined Flex/Solid Hose/Pipe, that takes condensed Oil back to the Sump.
Also on the front of the Airbox will be the Hose for the Idle Control Valve (Stepper).

The leak starting after you attached the Hose could be coincidence, but check it out.

This is the Blow-By System for 2006-2016, according to the Fowlers Website

I've worked on a 2017 Norge 1200 GT, it had the same Breather System as the Stelvios, with a Breather Hose running to the Condenser Box from each Head.

Guess what path I’m headed down next? It’ll be either gearbox or rear main on my 08 Norge. Both jobs seem to be rough.
Sorry for reviving another old thread. At least I didn’t start a new one. Seems like these rear main seals and bolt length issues were either good or bad from the get go and not a 33k mile issue. Now that I’ve got pan/sump gaskets and oil sensor done it seems I’m working my way through the lube systems.

Edit: While standing in the shower I was thinking through my recent work. There was a long rubber hose that went nowhere. There was also a seemingly empty port on the top rear of the Airbox. I wiggled this lonely long hose onto the empty port thinking perhaps it should go there. NOW I’m thinking perhaps that was the purposely vacant vent tube from the gearbox that I may have plugged into a sealed hole on the Airbox. Guess I’ll wiggle the tank off x3/1week and remove that line. Rear drip didn’t start until after I did that.
View attachment 30573
The seal/gasket on my '08 Stelvio started to leak at about 40K miles and was dripping from that slot in the bell housing, when the shop disassembled it you could see the gasket had failed so even the dodgy ones could last a significant amount of time. Nearly 20K miles since the fix and no problems since.

i just ordered the blow by hoses for both sides $60 a piece. my hose started to dry rot where they hook into the separator box.
the mist was collecting on a air box tab. its filled completely with oil. then it drips on ground when on kickstand
harpers has them in stock
Camphoto 342241519 2

Back