• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Grrr....Valve Clearance

CBJoe

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Glad I'm doing a full service myself before riding much this year. Decided to check valve clearance while doing full fluid changes. Bike has maybe 20k miles on it...I think dealer checked valves about 7K miles ago.

I know the clearances are .15mm - .2mm ....Bike is Dead Cold....sitting for days. I'm getting .1mm - .11mm for all valves.

thats pretty dang low....I'm gonna adjust them and drink a beer and hope that no damage was done. I'm guessing all is well, but I know too little valve clearance is worse than too much. Boo

Glad I'm doing a full service myself before riding much this year. Decided to check valve clearance while doing full fluid changes. Bike has maybe 20k miles on it...I think dealer checked valves about 7K miles ago.

I know the clearances are .15mm - .2mm ....Bike is Dead Cold....sitting for days. I'm getting .1mm - .11mm for all valves.

thats pretty dang low....I'm gonna adjust them and drink a beer and hope that no damage was done. I'm guessing all is well, but I know too little valve clearance is worse than too much. Boo

I'm guessing it'll probably be fine. It's normal for the gaps to shrink as you put on miles, so it might have been set correctly 7k miles ago and you checked and caught it in time. In addition the gaps quickly get bigger (not smaller) as the engine warms up due to different rates of thermal expansion between metals.

Last edited:
When I check a Valve clearance I raise the rockers with one hand and put the jauge with the other.
So I measure a slightly larger clearance.

To eliminate the clearance beetwin the rod-camshaft, to measure accurately the full clearance without
force on the measurement gauges.

Last edited:
I push on the other side of rocker, no lifting but it gives actual w/o oil. I always push slightly on the cam follower side of rocker to set valves, then recheck after a rotation with out any pushing on rocker.

Got intakes all adjusted to .15mm(in)/.20mm (ex).....engine cold as can be. I assume the valve train will be a little louder since all of them were extremely tight (.1-.11mm).

Be a while till I'll know as I need to order a Demand Sensor to fix my P0155 issue. Unless I find a smoking gun with a loose connector pin or something.

joe

On this motor, yes, clearances increase with engine heat, the opposite of what is usually expected.
So, even the 0.1mm clearance (instead of 0.15mm) should have been fine, as it would have opened up in operation, not closed.

Stephen

No because it is impossible to make a measure when the engine is loaded and valves are really hot. :wasntme:

Someone on another board measured hot vs cold on a V11 and he said found that clearances opened up as the motor got hot as I recall. It seemed backwards, but unless I am willing to do the same tests I will take his word for it. The difference between hot and cold was minor, but hot was slightly looser than cold.
Either way, valve clearances should be set according to spec or slightly looser in my experience. But I doubt the exact clearance will be critical on a Guzzi.
And while there is nothing wrong with pushing on the rocker when measuring I really don't think it will change the actual measurement. Pushing the feeler gauge in the gap will do the same thing, any available clearance will be taken up. But doing that might make it easier to get the feeler gauge in the gap. So, either way should be fine.

Someone on another board measured hot vs cold on a V11 and he said found that clearances opened up as the motor got hot as I recall.

My experience too, I measured it happen on a 1200 Sport. I was temped to reduce the gap close to zero to minimize the rattley tappets, but in the end I decided against it.

Different engine configurations will change valve clearances differently based on temp. While the valves do get hot and thus expand, that is not the only factor. The aluminum that is a typically Guzzi head is aluminum and as such it also expands when hot. Plus, a typical Guzzi being a push rod motor the aluminum cylinder getting hot and expanding also plays a part, as does the push rod getting hot and expanding. Also making a difference in this is the different metals used for those parts, as some metals like aluminum tend to have a different rate of expansion than other metals like steel.
The reality is that a push rod motor like a Guzzi won't react the same valve clearance wise as, say, an overhead cam motor.
Testing from two different people I know of indicates that valve clearances on a two valve Guzzi don't tighten up when the motor is hot. As I have not done the testing myself, but I trust those that did, I go with what they found.

I responded to a similar statement about Moto-Guzzi valve clearances (Le Mans 2) . After years of working on too many
Harleys ( valve clearances grew noticably when hot) I expected the same from my Le Mans . I checked the clearances cold
and then went on a spirited 50 km ride and quickly removed the rocker covers and rechecked the clearances , they were
.002" tighter ! I can't speak for other Guzzi's , but the round head ones definitely tighten up when hot . Try what I did and get back
to us ! (Don't take anyones word for it , do it !) . Peter

Back