• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

tank volume?

RJVB

GT Reference
According to my information, the Norge's tank is 23 liters, of which 4 are "reserve"

Friday evening, not more than a few kilometers from where I was planning to fill up, my reserve light came on.

According to the pump (and my payment slip), I put in 23.74 liters.

Have I been ripped off (for about 4l!), or can I no longer trust my reserve light/sensor?

Rene,

Good question. You will need to see if the results repeat at a different pump. I think I'd carry a spare liter or two though.

I rarely let my gauge get under 3/4, as my most frequent displacement (95km) takes about a quarter tank. Can't recall right now if I'm used to seeing about 15l for filling up with the gauge at 50% or at 25%.

The May 22nd ride of about 200km ate half a tank, also in line with what I'm used to seeing, but I guess I'll have to keep a watch on matters and even try to run her until reserve before the end of the month when warranty expires. Hmmm.

Meanwhile, none of you dealers/mechanics on here have ever measured how much a drained or new tank will drink??

Normally I run my tank till the reserve light comes on. Then ride max 40 km's , the "dash" shows how many km you rode since the warning light came on. On average I can ride about 420 km on a tank and can fill about 19 to 21 litres. I must say that the computer on my bike is pretty reliable and the gauge too.
The most litres I could fill up were 22.7 litres after 460 km :side: I couldn't even hear any petrol when shaking the bike so I guess it has been running on vapour..... So I guess 23 litres is pretty close to the truth.

Maybe some internal "damage" after your 2 "oopsies" ?

Ooievaar Dolf.
(That's my kind of French for goodbye btw)

Was it a hot day? My understanding is that gas pumps pump a given volume, not a given weight, but since gasoline expands with increasing temperature, you will get 'more' gas if it is hot outside than when it is cold. I have had it recommended that you never fill the tank (unless necessary) during the heat of the day - always do in the morning when cool (or relativley cool) out side. Could be a bunch of BS, but I have seen it in print several places.

I think I've gone further "beyond" the reserve light coming on since those oopsies, without noticing anything when I filled up.
I'd be more inclined to suspect the last revising, when I asked to check the state of my fuel filter.

There've been times my reserve light has come on with the gauge showing 1/8th full, and times with the gauge near 0. I'm not sure which is supposed to be the "right" moment, but AFAIK, the reserve light is coupled to an actual level sensor in the tank, not to the fuel gauge in the pump assembly. Not so?

Being a licensed private pilot, the only time the gauge is accurate is when the tank is completely full or when completetly emtpy. That said, I think the reserve light is most likley tied to the actual float in the tank. I always go miles per gallons ( if I was in a metric country I would go Km per liter) and do not trust the gauge or lights at all. At any rate, sinc eht gaugefloat are elctric there is most likley some variation due to a variety of conditions - temperature of the gas, etc.

Does not help to answer your question though. The US manual states the tank holds 6 gallons US - the most I have put in was 5.75 and I don't wait that long anymore... before stopping for gas. :)

You can fill your tank up with hot wheater, no problem, since most of the tanks at the petrolstation are below ground and the petrol stays colder that way. What you should pay attention to is not to fill up your tank to the top and park your bike in the burning sun. The petrol will expand and will come out through the drainhose.
This happened once when I was passing the weekend in Spain with a college. He filled the tank of his truck to the top because the diesel is cheap there. I filled mine a 100 km earlier in Spain so I had some "expansion space" in my tank. He spilled about 10 to 15 litres over the weekend on the parking. One advantage it helps against the bugs......

Quite right, and the drain hose ends under the CARC. Right where a "leak" can look like all kinds of nasty things ;)

I often wait for the reserve light to illuminate before fueling. I always end up getting between 19 & 20 liters into the tank. The gauge is always in the bottom half of the red at this point.

:blush: :S :blush: :S :blush: :S :blush:

Well, at least I can say I stirred something up, leading to a nice bunch of observations all supporting the official 19+4=23l credo.

... I was writing an email to my dealer to have a written trace of the "issue" before warranty expires, and had the brilliant idea to get out the payment slip to keep it as proof.

It turns out that what I put in was not 23.74 LITERS.

It was 23.74 EUROS

or 19.16 liters.

False alarm.

Clearly I don't get to use my brain often enough anymore these days :angry:

To my discharge I'll just mention I was perturbed by my regular station being closed, a 2nd one requiring payment before fueling (yeah, right!), and unexpected cold.

:blush: :S :blush: :S :blush: :S :blush:

Sex is the mind-killer.
Sex is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face the sex.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the sex has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Or something like that :silly:

HA HA! Nice one

We have solved that problem in the UK by having 1lire = £1 near as dammit.

We have solved that problem in the UK by having 1lire = £1 near as dammit.

Gosh! I thought ours was expensive at around $1.7NZ - Roughly $3NZ to a British pound - but it's just over twice the price in Britain. Enough to encourage changing to a Buell! Like, getting as much as 20km/l is a challenge on my Guzzi and getting less than 20km/l on my Buell is very rare.

Back