• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake rotor pulsing - resolved

Re: brake rotor ?

Stock Brembo 'snowflake' rotors can be had new for ~$300/pair from me/GuzziTech. The holes for the ABS ring have to be drilled (by you). Contact me direct if interested.

GT-Rx said:
Stock Brembo 'snowflake' rotors can be had new for ~$300/pair from me/GuzziTech. The holes for the ABS ring have to be drilled (by you). Contact me direct if interested.
Stainless or iron?

GuzziMoto said:
Stainless or iron?
Combo of the two, or as they call it "advanced metal matrix."

GuzziMoto said:
I am not a fan of stainless rotors, but the price is not bad.
Especially if they really are made in the USA and not China.
Are you using the stock Guzzi pads with them?

Scintered pads.

GT-Rx said:
GuzziMoto said:
Stainless or iron?
Combo of the two, or as they call it "advanced metal matrix."

Interesting. Since you cannot use sintered pads with purely cast iron rotors, are these designed to be used with sintered pads, perhaps giving nearly the same grip as cast iron but without the warping/overheating issues you get with sintered pads on purely cast iron rotors?

guzzibob said:
Interesting. Since you cannot use sintered pads with purely cast iron rotors, are these designed to be used with sintered pads, perhaps giving nearly the same grip as cast iron but without the warping/overheating issues you get with sintered pads on purely cast iron rotors?
That is the theory Bob, yes.

Oz1200Guzzi said:
Assuming a R/H thread, insert bolt from the inside out, tighten nut lightly, attach drill and (I think ) drill anti-clockwise. Undo and repeat till cooked.

decided to give this a try on the weekend after the Piaggio rep said "rotors are a wear item" and warranty wouldn't be happening.
It's ok, I have 11,000 odd miles on the bike, and while the Sprint with 50,000 miles has never had a brake issue, the Norge hasn't cost me anything in service really so....

before biting the bullet and looking around for rotors, I got a bolt & the drill out along with a big can of brake clean. I "think" it might have worked!

even if it only lasts for a few thousand miles before it needs cleaning again, at least I can delay rotors until I either a) get tired of doing this or b) need new pads.

good tip
two thumbs up
friday.gif

GT-Rx said:

My (bad) english skills forces me to ask:
Is that for complete, floating discs or just for the "hub part" of them?

I'm so angry about my pulsating front brakes; two discs changed during warranty time, two weeks after the warranty is gone I've got problems again... Maybe, maybe I could get some "good will help" from Guzzi?

ncassidy said:
I just installed new tires and brake pads on my Norge. I was getting a vibration whenusing the front brakes like the rotors were warped. I called the dealer and he told me to use brake clean to clean out the brake dust that gets into the rivets and make sure they are all able to turn as it is a floating disk. I did this and put it all back together and the brakes do the same thing. I am thinking that the rotors are warped. Anyone else have to deal with this problem?

I had a really weird vibration/noise from the front brakes of my Breva 1200 (not sold in USA but basically a naked Norge 1200) that sounded very similar to this but there was absolutely no feedback through the brake lever so it wasn't warped discs. I tried all the disc cleaning/light sanding options but problem turned out to some weird harmonics issue caused by the original and hardly worn front brake pads. Cured (mostly) by installing new kevlar based brake pads. Problem still there occasionally bust vastly reduced.

Strange thing was that the problem was ALWAYS worse with the screen attached and greatly reduced with screen removed in summer, the vibes were travelling up the forks and causing the screen to shake.

I received lots of replies here and elsewhere suggesting that it had to be warped discs but wasn't the case for me.

I'm no scientist or engineer but I had an identical problem many years ago on an Alfa Romeo and the solution then was a copper coating applied to the back of the brake pads.

If it feels more like the front end is resonating rather than vibrating try new front pads, worked for me.

My opinions only.

....so earlier this week I emailed Todd about my intent to purchase two rotors for my '07 Norge from his online store, because I thought mine were warped.
Todd stated that he had the rotors in stock, but he also suggested I take a look at this post/ topic first.

Well I too "got a bolt & the drill out along with a big can of brake clean. I "think" it might have worked!"

Thanks Todd and Thank You all Gentlemen.

Nick

Here is another way to spin those rivets. Even easier than a bolt. Stick the appropriate size "Easy Out" screw remover in your drill and just put it into the rivets from the outside. It grips them enough to spin then with alacrity but, since they do spin, the easy-out won't get stuck in them. Just reverse the drill and out it comes. I have been spinning them at the same time I am spraying them with brake cleaner and gobs of black crud comes out. Haven't ridden it yet to see if it improves things, but the disks are, in fact, looser than they were.

Just seen this thread, after posting one on the Stelvio page.

Good thing that it backs up the rivet theory. :D

After I spun the rivets yesterday I took the Norge out for a 230 mile ride over two mountain passes here in Wyoming. Initially it seemed like cleaning the disks and spinning the rivets helped the pulsing. The initial stops were nice and smooth. But by the end of the ride, it was pulsing again. Not as bad as before but it was definitely there. So I guess spinning the rivets helped but didn't cure the problem all together. I am try doing it again today and see if I can loosen the disks a bit more.

I'll post this here too...

Or when you're done dealing with buttons, and are ready or in need to replace them, I highly recommend the new Brembo "T-Drive" per below. I have them in my Store here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/brembo-tdrive-rotors

I have a solution for the ABS ring on the Norge as well; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/guzzi-abs-ring -- These rotors are likely similar cost as the stock ones are from the dealer, and are infinitely better. I still do offer the same as stock ('07-09 Norge) OEM Brembo rotor; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/brembo-snowflake-front-rotor + ABS ring per above.

Garwood said:
After I spun the rivets yesterday I took the Norge out for a 230 mile ride over two mountain passes here in Wyoming. Initially it seemed like cleaning the disks and spinning the rivets helped the pulsing. The initial stops were nice and smooth. But by the end of the ride, it was pulsing again. Not as bad as before but it was definitely there. So I guess spinning the rivets helped but didn't cure the problem all together. I am try doing it again today and see if I can loosen the disks a bit more.
I haven't read the whole thread but the solution to this problem for me was to loosen the rivets and change the pads. I think that the stock pads are part of the problem. I tried the loosening a couple of times and had the same issue as you, the rivets tightened up again, I changed to EBC HH pads and haven't had a problem since. Can't tell how much mileage I've done because I had to replace the dash and can't remember the old milage (it is written down somewhere).
Steve

I used to have the pulsing problem. Now at least once each ride I brake heavily (enough to almost lift the rear wheel), if it's safe more often.

This forces the discs to move and the crud falls out. I haven't had the problem for 3 years now, and the fix was as easy as use the brakes as intended.

cheers

Robert

Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone know what the Brembo model number is for the T-Driver rotors for a 2006 Breva 1100?

I agree, unfortunately I have to consider the current conversion rate between CAD to USD. It was bad 2 months ago, it is grim now. if I could bring my B11 down for an extreme make over, GTM style I would.

I rec
I just installed new tires and brake pads on my Norge. I was getting a vibration whenusing the front brakes like the rotors were warped. I called the dealer and he told me to use brake clean to clean out the brake dust that gets into the rivets and make sure they are all able to turn as it is a floating disk. I did this and put it all back together and the brakes do the same thing. I am thinking that the rotors are warped. Anyone else have to deal with this problem?
I rectified mine by using light oil on the button retainers holding the disc. Pulsing gone!

Back