• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio tire recommendations

Scott Kellogg

Just got it firing!
Tire time for my 13 Stelvio. Read some really good things about the Avon Trailrider. Anyone out there have experience with these? Looking for a little more off road capability while maintaining mostly on road performance.

Avon av54 trailrider rear tires zoom

Tire time for my 13 Stelvio. Read some really good things about the Avon Trailrider. Anyone out there have experience with these? Looking for a little more off road capability while maintaining mostly on road performance.
Hi scott. I fitted one on the front 5k ago and like it. Not really tested it in the wet yet but they have had good reviews. I will be putting one on the rear when the Anakee3 needs replacing.
Alan NZ.

I have a set on and just completed a 3500 mile trip. The back tire wore quicker than I had hoped, but I did have the bike loaded down. I would say I have 2500 left on the rear,

I wore out the OEM tires and replaced them with a set of Metzler Tourance which was always my favorite tire on my BMW R1150GS; I wore out many sets of them over the years. As remembered and expected, the Tourance are awesome tires. They stick like glue on the street, and are very confident in the dirt/gravel.

I just threw on some Tourances last week. I'd tried Pilot Trail 4s after the originals wore out, but they're pure road tyres. Lasted well though. I've kept coming back to Tourances on my last 3 bikes - tried Contis, Pirellis, Michelins, Bridgestones, but always end up back with the Metzelers. Never tried the Avons though, so not much help to the OP, I'm afraid.

I put the Avons on my 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650. I have about 1,000 miles on them now and I spent some time on dirt and gravel roads this last weekend and was impressed that they seemed to do better than I had thought. Prior tires were Metzler Karoo 3's which I loved on gravel and dirt. They stuck better on the road than you would think and at least as good as the OEM Bridgestone Trail Wings. At 70-75 MPH it sounded like I was in a Jeep with mudder tires. I replaced them at just over 3,000 miles but they still had some life in them. The noise just drove me nuts. I would guess 5,000 miles on them depending on your version of worn out knobbies. Too much road between me and dirt but If I rode a higher percentage of dirt they would go back on. Tires are very personal but back when I had a BMW R1200GS I put Michelin Anakee 3's on it. Before a trip I took them off and put the OEM Continental's back on as I hated the Michelins. I hear the 4's are better. I love Michelin street tires (just put PR4 GT's on my Norge) but I doubt I will buy another Anakee.

Just my $0.02 YMMV

I wore out the OEM tires and replaced them with a set of Metzler Tourance which was always my favorite tire on my BMW R1150GS; I wore out many sets of them over the years. As remembered and expected, the Tourance are awesome tires. They stick like glue on the street, and are very confident in the dirt/gravel.

Follow up.

Well, I loved these tires for years and years but they are not what they once were!

My Stelvio front wheel is so cupped it's not even funny. I cannot believe how badly these deteriorated and so quickly. What has happened to you Metzler?

I'll tell you exactly what it is, CHEAP ASS Chinese manufacturing!

When these were MADE IN GERMANY, they were the SHIZNIT! I wore out at least 10 sets on my GS's.

Now, made in China, they are S#!T !!!

CHINESE TIRES JUST PLAIN SUCK!

I do not recommend these tires. Don't do it!

As I age, ungracefully at that, I find I do not like going off road much anymore. I simply do not trust my slowed reaction times and questionable fine motor coordination in my legs, in the even I need to rescue myself from an unexpected severe slippage. Therefore, I think I will move to a street tire for my Stelvio. If I fee so inclined to dirt ride again, I will buy a proper 400cc dirt bike!

Admittedly, if the Alaska trip my buddy Mark and I talk about doing soon, actually materializes, I will mount a set of Anakee's. Mark loves them, but I am an aggressive street rider (cultivated on Mt. Palomar in San Diego County for 30 years of youth!) and I want to make my Stelvio stick like glue to the road, while enjoying the upright riding posture I've loved ever since my first airhead GS.

Google research, don't fail me now!

UPDATE:

Well, I should have known... turns out that Shinko Tires has just what I am looking for. I have purchased and used Shinko tires on several of my motorcycles and on my big Piaggio 500cc Maxi-scooter, and I have always loved them. They stick excellent and last well. I've never been disappointed. South Korean made and have always been first quality for me. So...

Here they come!

Shinko 705's ! $170 for the PAIR, delivered! That's a deal!

Shinko 705

I will post an update again after I get and mount them and test them out!

Last edited:
According to my web search, Avon's are not available in Australia.

I'm seriously considering the Conti TrailAttack 3. I think BMW recommend them

continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/off-road-enduro/contitrailattack3

Or else go with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2

Thoughts on the Conti?

Thoughts on the Conti?

I have no personal experience with Continental Tires on a motorcycle. Sorry.

I did find this useful.

advrider.com/real-life-adventure-tyres-comparison-for-big-adventure-bikes-tested-on-ktm-1190-adventure/

I ran Shinko 705s on my Tenere for six years and on my Stelvio for the past year. I've ridden hem in wet, dry, gravel and not-loose dirt across much of the US and Canada. It is my go-to tire.

I used the Avon's for a cross country trip a few years back & was pretty impressed by how well they did on both dry & wet pavement. Was not totally thrilled with how fast they wore out, but was minor in the grand scheme. Went to Heidenau's K60 sport & found them to be a really good off road tire & a terrible street tire. So...back to the Avons since most of my riding is pavement and they do so well on that. Will continue to use them in the future also.

Well, I received the Shinko 705’s in only 3 days from ordering direct from Shinko on Amazon.

They are a very good looking tire with a very nice adventure bike type tread pattern.

Again, I will take these Yokohama lineage “Made in South Korea” craftsmanship, any day over the crap Legacy brands now made in China. (I just transported to the recycler, a set of Metzler from my Stelvio, and a set of Pirelli from my 1200 Sport - both with terrible wear characteristics!

My initial scrub-in of these tires was very satisfying. For a large-block tread pattern, they came up to temperature very quickly, rode very smooth and quiet, and stuck to the dry roads like a train on rails. I am very pleased and impressed yet again by this brand of tire.

I now have 3 different models of Shinkos on my Stelvio, 1200 Sport, and Piaggio X9 scooter. All are very impressive indeed. I highly recommend this marque for tires!

8C123875 3D71 434A 81B8 54034FD490A2

FEE24E0B 4582 4DBD 9931 640A2BC5D4A7

4CE03E58 8717 4F19 99E7 DC783DBEFFEB

Last edited:
Just fitted pirelli scorpion rally str's on mine .... there amazing ! , loads of grip in the dry and the wet as well as good off road traction .
Only thing that takes a bit of gettting used too is the bike likes to tip in to the corners quit quickly , but it does make the bike a bit more flicable .

6A9208FE C0D8 430B 9218 FFAB6C5C01BD

I added Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires to my bike. The front tire I was able to get on myself, but the rear tire was another story. After some blood, sweat, and tears (and newly invented curse words) I admitted defeat and took it to a shop to have it mounted on the rim.

I do like how they look and ride.

I added Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires to my bike. The front tire I was able to get on myself, but the rear tire was another story. After some blood, sweat, and tears (and newly invented curse words) I admitted defeat and took it to a shop to have it mounted on the rim.

I do like how they look and ride.

Post some pictures please!

Follow up.

UPDATE:

Well, I should have known... turns out that Shinko Tires has just what I am looking for. I have purchased and used Shinko tires on several of my motorcycles and on my big Piaggio 500cc Maxi-scooter, and I have always loved them. They stick excellent and last well. I've never been disappointed. South Korean made and have always been first quality for me. So...

Here they come!

Shinko 705's ! $170 for the PAIR, delivered! That's a deal!!

I put a set of those on the “XR”this time as the knobies were getting worn out too fast as I spend a lot more time on the asphalt getting to a few Km of dirt.
I am quite happy with these, they are lasting well so far !

Last edited:
I am fairly sure the BMW GS 1250’s that my nephew and I rented in Anchorage, AK and dropped off in Portland, OR in 2019 were fitted with Shinko tires. They were new when we started our trip. I was amazed how well they gripped on both pavement and dirt. The wear rate was reasonable since they were in good shape after over 4000 miles.

I understand tire threads are as volatile as oil threads but I sell A TON of Shinko tires in my shop on everything from Harley to Indian to Metrics to European motorcycles. I just paused right now from installing a set on a 1982 Honda CB750.

I've had nothing but excellent feedback from my customers and everybody say they are an excellent value. I concur.

Here are some pics of the Dunlop Trailmax Missions. I can confirm they work well on and off-road.

Dunlop Trailmax Front Dunlop Trailmax Rear

Back