• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Finished a few more mods . . .

John Warner

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Finished a few more mods on my Stelvio.

Pleased how these turned out . . .
TwinCan6 TwinCan5 TwinCan4 TwinCan3
2004> R1 Cans.
Homemade link Pipes, cross-over goes under a cut-out in the base of the Airbox.

Sounds similar to the (de-catted) original Silencer, just a little louder, slightly more of a 'Bark' the higher the revs go.
Sounds more like a Twin now, if that makes sense?
Like a Stereo soundtrack, instead of Mono!!

Also modified the Pillion Peg Mounts.
Didn't like how they got in the way of my Boot Heels (I ride with the Balls of my Feet on the Pegs).
Chopped the lower 'Rails' out, raised them a bit, and made new Brackets to support the rear ends.
PillionMod2 PillionMod

Raised my upside-down Screen with some home-made Plates.
Doesn't look quite so odd now, and improves the performance (of the Screen).

ScreenLift1 ScreenRaise ScreenLift2

Wooden 'Platforms' are to carry my Kriega US-30 Dry-Packs.
Bike came with the original Guzzi 'Box' Panniers, but I got fed up with sitting in traffic instead of being able to go through gaps.
That's also why I went with the narrower Bars.

Got the Lower Fittings off the Stelvio Forks at the Weekend.

ForkFittings

One side undid with just a bit of heating from a Hot Air Gun, holding the lower Fitting in a Vice, and turning the Stanchion with a large Strap-Wrench, with a piece of Rubber Sheet under the Webbing Strap for grip.

The other side was more stubborn.
I had to machine a 50mm hole through the join of two Alloy Blocks (clamped together), to make Clamping Blocks, so I could hold the Stanchion tight enough in a Vice.
Then I heated up the Fitting with a Gas Torch, spraying lube into the top occasionally.
It did the trick eventually, but took several half-turns between heating and lubing until it could be undone all the way off.
Fair bit of surface corrosion inside, nothing major, but it's such a small gap it made it really tight.

Dropped the Stanchions off at the Platers on Monday, 80 mile round-trip.
Ducati Forks work well on the Stelvio.
Feels very slightly different in the corners, takes a minuscule amount of effort to tip in, and hold a line, whereas before it was totally neutral in the corners, and verging on unstable the way it tipped in (how I like it).

They feel different because they're not 'Leading-Axle', so the wheelbase is decreased, but the Trail increased.
I thought the two might have cancelled each other out, but it seems not.
It's very slight though, I've lifted the Forks a little in the Yokes to 'quicken' the steering again.
I'll see how they feel soon.

The Tool for removing the Ducati Fork Caps arrived Tuesday, so I whipped the Springs out yesterday.
Managed to do it with the Forks in-situ.

Was going to leave the original Springs in for a while, at least until the weather improves a bit, but couldn't resist!

The Springs are very similar to the Stelvio items, around 7mm longer, with more Coils (therefore 'softer').
Stelvio Springs dropped straight in.
Stelvio Spring on right . . .

Springs

Will try them out in the next few days.

I've been 'playing' again . . .

The Fork Stanchions on my Stelvio have a few small areas where the Chrome is flaking, most likely from stone damage.
I've stripped them down to get them re-chromed, but didn't want to be without the Bike while they're being done, so . . .
MSForks

2010 Multi-Strada Forks, 50mm, same as the early Stelvio, almost a straight swap.
Had to make Split-Sleeves for the Upper Yoke, the Duke Forks are 1mm smaller at the top than the Stelvio's (58mm top & bottom), and one for the Axle Head, the Duke version has a larger diameter.
MSForks1 MSForks3

Also had to relocate the ABS Sensor, the Duke's is on the left, and has a smaller Sensor and Sensor Ring, made up a Bracket for it.
Will probably relocate it to the right at some point, with a simpler Bracket screwed to the lower Caliper Lug.
MSForks2

Disc spacing on the Duke is the same as the Griso/Norge/Sport(?) etc, so off came the Spacers I made to fit the Griso Wheel to it originally . . .
FrontDiscSpacersAdaptors
I still needed the inner part to centre the Discs on the Hub, so I parted off a 4mm slice and used that.
The Spacers will still be good if/when I refit the Stelvio Forks.

Why the Ducati Forks?
They're the same overall length, and they have separate Rebound and Compression Adjusters in each Leg, the Stelvio has Comp in one, Rebound in the other.
Also, they were £250, the Stelvio ones go for £800+, if you can find any.

They also have the Axle in-line with the Forks, the Leading Axle Fittings on the Stelvio are prone to cracking, although that's almost certainly down to ham-fisted (and non-sequential) tightening of the Pinch Bolts.

Nice one John, thanks for posting the info here.

Hello, I am curious about your experience mounting the Norge wheels to your Stelvio. Why did you. What was involved and what was the result? I have a spare set of Norge Wheels and if possible i would use them on my Stelvio when only on asphalt journey and mount some 50/50 tires to the stock spokes for more adventurous journeys.

Hi Darrin.
Main reason was to be able to fit some decent Road Rubber!
Rear rim is the wider 5.5" type, from a Griso, and combined with the 17" front (standard size on just about every Road Bike on the Planet), gives me a choice from all the best Sports or Touring Tyres.
Secondary is the look.
I've always loved the SuperMoto style, so this is my 'MegaMoto'!

Rear Wheel from any of the 'CARC' models bolts straight on, either width Rim.
However, due to the Griso not having ABS (which I wasn't aware of at the time), the Wheel doesn't have the facility to mount a Sensor Ring, so one from a Guzzi with ABS would be the better choice.
I just drilled and tapped the hub to mount the Stelvio Sensor Ring.
P1110002 P1110003

The front was a little more involved.
It was actually listed as a Griso item, but I suspect the Norge is the same, although there may be a difference in Hub Width (see below).

The Hub is narrower than the Stelvio item, at least between the Disc Mount faces, by 8mm.
I had to machine two 4mm thick Spacers.
However, I couldn't just make them flat, as that would move the Disc Centre off the parallel section, so it would only be centred by the Bolts.
I had to get the Hub machined down by a few mm, and then make the Spacers with a 'Stub' to centre the Discs, the Spacers being centred by the freshly machined part of the Hub.
Sounds complicated, but wasn't really that bad.
FrontDiscSpacersAdaptors

As I also swapped to aftermarket Discs at the front, I had to get an Aprilia ABS Sensor Ring that bolts on via the Disc Bolts, instead of to the Disc Carrier.
GrisoWheelFr

I posted a picture on another Forum recently, of my Stelvio as it was when I bought it, i.e. absolutely Bog-Standard.

A Friend of mine on there suggested I post a photo of it as it is now, so I did.
Had to do three though, couldn't fit all the labels on just one . . .

ModListRH ModListLH ModListDash

Hey, please don't misinterpret me here John as I love the fact that you have made your bike "your own", but the majority of what I saw listed in your detailed photos, was only achieved with a lot of machining and modification that simply is not available to me without spending $$$ at a machine shop. :oops:

Nevertheless, I like your ingenuity and self-determinisim. Kudos! :party:

Back