• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 11 headlight... again...

tobinh

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
Hi guys,

So, I've been pondering my headlight on the Breva for years now. I've even made several posts here! I know the proper solution is to replace the whole thing with a proper LED assembly like Todd sells here, but I just really like the appearance of the stock unit.

I've tried various bulbs with no effect... I'd still like to try some modern LED bulbs with the fans attached. I understand that there isn't room in the stock bucket, but it looks like there's room behind it - so I figure I'll just make an aluminum cover with appropriate clearance. I'm a machinist, so no problem there.

But, problem: before I buy proper quality bulbs from Cyclops via this site, I figured I'd try some cheapies that looked dimensionally close, just in case the reflector issue is as bad as people say it is. So I get them in, and nothing! They don't even turn on. I figure I have them backwards, but no.

So, question: is there any electrical reason these don't work? Or did I just go too cheap? People keep telling me LEDs won't work on this bike, but not why... I assumed it was just the size issue, but is there something else?

Thanks,
Tobin.

Have you seen this? https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/headlight-conversion-for-the-1100-breva.18970/ That stock headlight is just junk and not worth trying to get good light from it.
I have, yea... I'm sure you're right. I think I'm just being stubborn at this point. I've had this dumb motorbike for so long now the looks of that weird headlight have been imprinted on my brain and I'm reluctant to change it.

I'm still confused as to why the bulbs didn't turn on at all though? Do you know of any reason inherent to the bike itself?

It should at least turn on.
I had an LED low beam in my 1200 Sport for a short time which is the same bucket as you have. At the time, I could not get a LED high beam which fit in the allotted space.

For me, the pattern was definitely not great and the light was worse (even though it appeared brighter).
In the end, the fan portion of the bulb melted. I expect I should not have put the cover back on the back of the light assembly as there was not enough air allowed in for the cooling fan to work properly.

I had an LED low beam in my 1200 Sport for a short time which is the same bucket as you have. At the time, I could not get a LED high beam which fit in the allotted space.

For me, the pattern was definitely not great and the light was worse (even though it appeared brighter).
In the end, the fan portion of the bulb melted. I expect I should not have put the cover back on the back of the light assembly as there was not enough air allowed in for the cooling fan to work properly.
Great, thanks. I got the world's crappiest LED bulbs to prototype the cover I want to make, so that's likely the problem. It's just that I ran across various stories on the internet that made me wonder. Now I can forge ahead troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Turns out the sockets were just marginal, the same thing would have happened had I replaced with halogens. Pretty chintzy units for an OEM! Anyways I got both lights working, now I'm going to see if I can design a cover to go over the big heat sinks/fan units. It's possible there isn't enough room behind the bucket after all, I was in taking some rough measurements.

Will update for the ...uh, approximately zero other people who care about this.

I too had bad experience with the LED replacement bulbs. I replaced the low beam light with a LED one, I noticed the light output was bluer, but very little increase in brightness.

Then it blew, and I was in a small town without street lighting. Trying to ride with flashing the high been off & on trying not to offend other motorists was not fun,

I too had bad experience with the LED replacement bulbs. I replaced the low beam light with a LED one, I noticed the light output was bluer, but very little increase in brightness.

Then it blew, and I was in a small town without street lighting. Trying to ride with flashing the high been off & on trying not to offend other motorists was not fun,
Generally, when smart people say 'hey, I've already tried that, don't do make the same mistake again', I'm clever enough to listen.

In this case, I've decided to take (waste) the time to experiment a bit, in order to make said mistakes in a slightly different way.

Probably my experience will serve to help sell a few of the apparently excellent headlights offered here: https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/electronics

The H4v10ULTRALEDBULB that Todd is selling is a lot more substantial than the one I was using.

I was an early pioneer of the LED bulb, and I'm sure they have improved significantly since. Other than my V85 which has twin LED headlights as stock, the only other one I've upgraded so far, is my Griso 1200 which has a LED headlight designed for a Jeep.

Brilliant! (pun intended).

The H4v10ULTRALEDBULB that Todd is selling is a lot more substantial than the one I was using.

I was an early pioneer of the LED bulb, and I'm sure they have improved significantly since. Other than my V85 which has twin LED headlights as stock, the only other one I've upgraded so far, is my Griso 1200 which has a LED headlight designed for a Jeep.

Brilliant! (pun intended).
I guess this is my secret hope, a combination of new LED tech and my own custom designed / machined rear cover will give me a stock-looking headlight that actually works.

well, every decent high beam/H9/H11 LED bulb fouls the frame at the steer tube. I didn't realize it stuck out quite that far...

so I'm going either the relay route or making whole new headlight brackets/ears to space out the bucket .250" or so. honestly, I'm tempted to make a set, but it's a lot of work for possibly little gain.

so, probably going to wire in a relay and see how that goes.

I think I was getting 12.4V at the headlight socket when I tested it, it should be more than 13.5+V shouldn't it?

yea, but battery voltage while running should be around 13.7 right?

Not necessarily. A half flat battery will not have that high a voltage at its terminals (after all, it is a 12V battery). As the battery is charged the voltage will rise. If it is not rising, then check one of the main fuses hasn't blown.

Not necessarily. A half flat battery will not have that high a voltage at its terminals (after all, it is a 12V battery). As the battery is charged the voltage will rise. If it is not rising, then check one of the main fuses hasn't blown.
ah okay. I'll just check the voltage at the battery and then at the socket.

kind of academic, I'm pretty sure a relay is required, but I'll post the results.

thanks!

I'm not sure what you hope to achieve with a relay. The issue appears to be that your battery may not be getting charged.

You have checked the main fuses?

I had a burnout of the headlight wire harness (my story here) and had to ride ~130 km without any light in front. Not good. Managed to get back home just as night was about to fall...

Last edited:
yea, but battery voltage while running should be around 13.7 right?
I can confirm. Took some measurements while fighting with the infamous Startus Interruptus. Some with multimeter, others with an oscilloscope. While max. voltage (instantaneous value) was 14.4V as it should be at the output of the generator - the voltage measured just the other day (when my headlight harness burnt up) at the battery terminals was 13.7 V (reading from the multimeter). Hope this helps.

General note about vehicle lights:
my uncle, who is a professor of physics, worked with lasers a lot and has superb knowledge in optical instruments and theory of optics gave me the following advice:
I asked if it would be a problem, to put an orange LED light in the indicator. He said it could work, but since the enclosure is made so that its surface is a matrix of small lenses and there is a curved mirror-like surface behind the bulb - it is important to have the source of light at the precise location for the optics to work as designed. If it is misaligned, the light could be diffused and the indicator could emit it in undesirable directions. The incandescent bulb is seated at such precise location in the indicator with the assumption the filament within the bulb itself will be at the (more or less) proper location as well. Then the optical arrangement works as expected.

So, I presume, it gets much worse (as far as optical properties are concerned) with larger lamps, such as the headlight. If you take a headlight which was designed for incandescent bulbs where filaments are expected to be at their designated locations for the mirror behind and (possibly?) the glass in front (or lens in high beam reflector) to do their jobs properly. H7, H4 or other LED-"bulbs" have rows of LED structures which cannot be located at the same place where the filament is in the incandescent equivalent (that is: in the centre of the bulb).
So, putting in such LED "bulbs" may produce suboptimal results. It is therefore much better to go for a completely new, LED-based headlight assembly. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back