• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Getting worried I have the lemon

Drbig

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I am new here and wanted to please ask for some advise on two issues.
Hi to all,

my 2011 NTX has a strange new habit . It likes to suddenly drop the power and then just cut off the engine even at high motorway speeds although it has happened at very low revs as well. In most cases it has happened when the bike has been running perfectly for a while . A little red warning triangular spears. If I just release the clutch with a bit of gas on the throttle while the bike is still rolling the bike comes back to life, the red warning triangular is gone and the bike continues to run beautify. The same happens if I am able to stop the bike and restart it after a few tries. It has happened a few times, took it to the local dealer ( it happened after a service) but it came back. looked into the diagnostics but it shows no error.
Second problem is that I have started getting a smell that is similar to burning break pads from the engine. I am worried that it is from the clutch but the bike seems to run well and the clutch is not slipping. Am I suspecting the right thing and the clutch is burning away?
Thanks in advance.

I will give you a few no cost things to investigate...

First off, several unusual issues creep up all over the place with a worn out battery. Error codes, running issues, starting issues, burning out relays, etc. Make sure your battery is in good working order. This IS NOT verified by simply reading a voltmeter value across the positive and negative terminals of the battery.. You need to "Load Test" the battery. Any quality mechanic garage should be able to do this for you as well as any battery shop or auto parts store.

Second, there is well documented issues with cracked spark plug wires, grounding out intermittently and if you use the search function here, you will find it and can read about that. People who improperly pull on the spark plug wires when removing them, tend to damage and tear the wires and they also crack with age. Check out the posts and photos here on the forum with the SEARCH function.

There is no reason that you have given to me, that would cause me to think that your clutch is somehow smoking itself off. This is beyond unlikely. I just wrote a post about a crankcase vent that was spritzing oil on the top of my engine, and it did have a burning smell to it, so you can look at that.

In my post on how to remove the charcoal canister (I know, European bikes don't normally have this) but the PDF of the directions, shows you precisely how to remove the fuel tank, and I would recommend doing this and taking a look at what is on the top of the engine. Has something fallen down onto the engine and is it getting hot and burning, like a wire or something?

So, there are a few no cost ideas to try.

Good Luck!

Dear Scott and John,
Thanks for the prompt response. Plug caps have been changed and the plugs are new. But I'll try and the other points you have suggested.

Back