• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First Ride of the Season in Wyoming.

Garwood

Maintaining a Low Profile!
GT Contributor
Yesterday, May 17, a Harley friend (that's about all there is here) and I went out for a short ride from Buffalo to Kaycee (47 miles) for lunch. We left Buffalo at 11:30 and got to Kaycee at 12:15. We stopped at the Invasion Bar for a couple of their 1/2 pound cheese burgers. The bar is named after the group of hired gunmen who "invaded" Johnson County in 1892 during the Johnson County Range War. The "invaders", hired by the big cattle barons, were in the area to eliminate the perceived cattle rustlers threatening the barons' interests. Their first target was a fellow named Nate Champion. Nate was staying at the KC Ranch just a city block from the current Invasion Bar when the ranch was surrounded and he was killed. A few days later a posse of Johnson County residents and lawmen surrounded the Invaders at another ranch a few miles away and held them under siege until they were rescued by the US Cavalry. Sitting in the bar yesterday, munching my Cowboy Burger, I could almost hear the bullets flying.

After KC we decided it was too nice a day to turn right around and head home. It was 70 degrees, lightly breezy and mostly sunny. Things are just starting to green up for the year and the countryside was beautiful. So instead of going back north, we went east. The road took us into the Powder River country through Sussex and Linch, near historic Fort Reno, across the historic Bozeman Trail, through Savageton and on to the current city of Gillete. We call it a city. There are 17,000 people there!

We arrived in Gillette at 4PM. It's light here now until near 9PM so we decided to take old route back to Buffalo on Highway 14 and 16. We could have taken Interstate 90 and saved 40 miles but there wouldn't be much fun in that. The old route took us on good, winding, two lane roads through places (and former places) with names like Arvada, Wildcat, Spotted Horse, Clearmont, and Ucross. Some of those names commemorate former ranches and events from Wyoming's cattle days in the late 1800s. For a state with a population of only about 600,000, there is a lot of history here, left over from people who passed through here on their way to fame and fortune somewhere else.

At Clearmont, the little gas station and mini mart had their "OPEN" sign lit so we decided to stop for a soda. Silly us. This is rural Wyoming. Just because the sign says they are open doesn't mean they are. So after a brief walk around the parking lot to admire the train tracks across the street, we got back on the road. We arrived back in Buffalo at 5:30. We topped up our gas tanks for the next adventure and went home.

Our little 90 mile lunch ride had turned into 248. Since the ride was his idea, I was following my riding partner the whole way. Our population is low and most of the time our roads are pretty empty. Yesterday there must have been some Coronavirus effect because we hardly saw anyone. He likes to zip right along so we were stretching the 70MPH speed limit the whole way. Despite that, my GTM-Fueled (Edit - Todd) 2016 Eldorado averaged 41MPG and was smooth as glass. I can't say my friend on the Harley did as well but he didn't break down and he had stereophonic music to listen to the whole way. A good day.
Garwood.

we were stretching the 70MPH speed limit the whole way. Despite that, my GTM-Fueled (Edit - Todd) 2016 Eldorado averaged 41MPG and was smooth as glass.
Fun. Thanks for the post Gar! I edited your post slightly above. ;)
Love hearing about people out riding their (GTM-fueled) Guzzis.

Thanks for sharing. I love reading about travel in the USA. You have lots of space in Wyoming! Your state is bigger than the UK and we have a population of 56 million.

I moved from California (millions and millions) to Wyoming when I retired 15 years ago. One of Wyoming's big appeals was there were less than 500,000 people in the whole state. Out biggest cities have only a bit over 50,000 people and there are only two of them. There are only about 4,000 people in our town (Buffalo) and less than 10,000 in our county (Johnson). Wyoming's population fluctuates with the state of the energy industry. It was on an upward trend when we moved here but it has since headed back the other way. If you can put up with the lack of convenience a small population brings, it's a great way to go.

We've done a few tours of the mid-west but we always hired a car. One thing we couldn't get used to was the distance between towns. Fuel range in a car wasn't a problem of course but I imagine when touring by motorcycle you have to be careful not to run out of fuel in the more remote parts.

We used to travel a couple of times a year between Western Nevada and Buffalo, Wyoming. One stretch on US Highway 6 in Nevada between Tonopah and Ely is 167 miles between gas stations (between anything for that matter). Not a problem on lots of motorcycles but on my '75 Norton Commando, which only holds 3.2 gallons of fuel, it's dicey. I have done it once but I had to keep my speed down to 60 mph to get enough mileage to make it. When I filled up the bike in Ely it got 58 MPG. Not much wiggle room! Big parts of the western US are pretty empty.

Back