• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Valve Clearance for Roller Tappets

He can't do anything in UK only USA. You have the same guys over there that teach the tech's on new products, they work for the countries importer & do warranty & such.

Disclaimer.
The following are my own findings, I'm not advocating anyone else do it, and it's not meant to open up the previous discussion again.
I set my clearances to 0.1mm all-round over 7500 miles ago, nice and quiet, no ill-effects.

Sorry!
Were you serious? Wasn't that way too tight?
My service is due and valve clearance is one of the maintenance items on the list.
As I was trying to decide whether I want to try the 10mm-15mm settings, I saw your post and got even more confused!

Has anyone checked between valve jobs to see if the clearance got bigger or smaller compared to the previous adjustment?

Has anyone checked between valve jobs to see if the clearance got bigger or smaller compared to the previous adjustment?

They never get smaller, only bigger. It gets to the point that checking valve clearances is a waste of time. I know I'm gonna get lambasted for this comment, but it's what I've observed over the years

YMMV, etc, etc.

I was adjusting my Breva 1100 (standard tappets) regularly up to about 10,000Kms , its settled down now and I'll check maybe every 20,000Kms or when I start to hear them and as Dave says they hardly ever move, maybe 0.02mm bigger. Got 80,000Kms on the clock.
BTW TurcoLoco I'm sure you mean 0.10-0.15mm, also 0.004 and 0.006th equate to 0.102 and 0.152mm.

They never get smaller, only bigger. It gets to the point that checking valve clearances is a waste of time. I know I'm gonna get lambasted for this comment, but it's what I've observed over the years YMMV, etc, etc.
Interesting. The bike is currently at 6100 miles, it was checked around 800 miles (for the 600-mile service). The engine seemed a little noisier recently and I was suspecting the valve clearance might be off. You might be right and it might be a waste of time but I am kinda of curious and do not mind the experience as I get the learn more about the bike.

I was adjusting my Breva 1100 (standard tappets) regularly up to about 10,000Kms , its settled down now and I'll check maybe every 20,000Kms or when I start to hear them and as Dave says they hardly ever move, maybe 0.02mm bigger. Got 80,000Kms on the clock.

BTW TurcoLoco I'm sure you mean 0.10-0.15mm, also 0.004 and 0.006th equate to 0.102 and 0.152mm.
Yes, you are correct. I mean 0.10mm-0.15mm

10mm - 15mm is DEAD WRONG by two orders of magnitude!
Check again please!
It was an error on my part. As Kevin corrected, I meant 0.10-0.15mm

My service is due and valve clearance is one of the maintenance items on the list.
As I was trying to decide whether I want to try the 10mm-15mm settings, I saw your post and got even more confused!

Apologies for the late reply.
I'm now at 45600 miles, Clearances were set at 0.1mm all round when I fitted the Roller kit at 28300.
Not altered since then, checked at 34700 & 44150 miles

Runs very quietly (for a Guzzi).

Another service due soon.

Back