• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How hard can you ride a V50?

MartinM

Just got it firing!
I just inherited my father’s pride and joy, a self-restored, full refurb (was sat for 30 years) ‘79 V50 Mk2 with 15000 on the clock. I’ve been away from biking for 10 years, but when he got too ill to ride it and asked me if I wanted it, he seemed chuffed when I went for it (and I’m now chuffed to be riding it!) He was still riding it aged 80 – good man!

I took it for its first run out yesterday in the sunshine, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lovely character, sound and handling – and great to be back on a bike! However, I’m new to both Italian and ‘historic’ bikes, having had all Jap previously. I’m no top-end, arse in the air speed freak (never owned a sports bike). My last (and favourite) bike was a Honda Transalp, a soft tuned sit up and beg 600 V twin with a relaxed ‘roll on, roll off’ power delivery. The power was ample for me and I loved the V twin power delivery; I like that the Guzzi feels similar(ish) – no offence!

As I said, I’m not a ‘fast as you can’ bloke; however I do like hustling through twisties, leaving the brakes alone, picking the right gear and rolling up and down the revs through the bends. This is when I ride/rev a bike the hardest. My concern is this: I found the Transalp suited my riding style well. It was great for ‘pick a good gear and roll on/off’ small road twisty riding, and was fine to be revved pretty hard (for me) up and down the range in and out of corners. But then the Transalp/Revere engine is known for being pretty much indestructible… I couldn’t resist trying similar on the Guzzi yesterday on a few of the twisties we have around here, and the bike felt great! Nimble, flickable and nicely enough power to have fun with, if the revs are kept up… So here’s my query: Can a 40 year old V50 (albeit with only 15000 miles up) cope OK with being ridden quite (fun!) hard between 4 and 5000 revs for short periods? I didn’t fancy taking the revs higher, and it had got ‘fun’ enough for me round the bends at those revs anyway. I found that 60-ish mph (also around 5000 rpm in top, I noticed) was pleasantly brisk enough for commuting between the twisties too, so it’s likely I’ll not take her much faster, or the revs higher, than 5000.

What’s your thoughts please? Will she suffer at my hands, or am I being overly cautious? Obviously I’m hoping the consensus will be for me to stop being a light-weight, that the bike will be fine. But I’d prefer not to do damage through ignorance…

One other question. I noticed that when in neutral, tick over is fine. Pull the clutch in and the revs drop to the point of stalling. Caught me out a couple of times at junctions yesterday (in gear, clutch in), until I cottoned on what was happening and kept a few extra revs on the throttle to compensate.

Thanks, Martin

I think you're being overly cautious. '79 is not an antique. Guzzi's like revs up to a point. 4-5,000 rpm seems to be a sweet spot, at least in my experience. I used to shift up and keep the revs lower until I realized how responsive the engine is in that happy range. I now only use top gear for speeds in excess of 120 kph.

My experience with Guzzi's is they are over-built and can do that sort of thing all day long, day after day.

Whilst mine is a much newer model it is still, basically at least, a small block Gutz - V7iii. Most of my life I'm sedate to the point of boring, but I do get off my leash when I get near twisties. The problem I have then, is bangin' my head constantly on the rev limiter. The red line is 6,500 and the rev limiter is 7,200. When I really find some nice roads and decide to get right amongst it I ride much more by feel, so staring at the tacho doesn't happen. My engine gives no indication of running out of breath - just keeps on pullin' until the ugly rev limit stutter. I think, as GuzziMoto said above, the engines are seriously over-engineered. I have 36,000Km on mine and it doesn't miss a beat. Burns no oil (doesn't even pump any into the airbox) and just loves to spin.

Just get on it and give it heaps!

The V50`s were called the NATO model in the Dutch Army, outfitted with a kick starter and lower geared transmission.
I can guarantee you that those bikes were frequently run at red line rpm`s while being used by 18 year old soldiers since they topped out at 65mph or so on the highway with that gearing. And the bikes lasted.
I`ve seen them on the military training grounds being abused hard on tanks trails and in the dunes. They actually jumped them like moto cross bikes.....
So don`t worry about rpm`s.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the history lesson jr1967, that's interesting to know! And another plus on the revs front. Cheers

Isle of Mull to Manchester in one shot, with refuelling stops, when bike had 47kmiles on the clock. 5000 rpm all the way, 300 miles distance. Can she? Certainly she can!

Thanks Adamigo, that was some journey. You must have been set in a 'V50' shape when you arrived!

Back