• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

fuel gauge sensor malfunction

muddyjj

Just got it firing!
GT Famiglia
I have a 2010 Stelvio with less than 1000 miles on it and the fuel sensor stopped working. I took the bike to the only MG dealer near me (90 miles away) and had them replace the fuel sensor. It worked very briefly and now I'm back in the same boat. My tank is completely full and it shows only 2/3 full. I'm stumped. I tried calling and emailing Piaggio USA and that was a complete waste of time. Their customer service line consists of a message that instructs you to leave a message and then no one ever calls you back. I've never received an email reply either.

From what I've read on this forum and others is that the fuel sensor malfunction is not an isolated problem. Has anyone figured out a fix for this? It's driving me nuts. I've tried the only things I can think of: riding it, putting it on the center stand and filling it full. After I had the sensor replaced I rode the bike about 50 miles and then stopped for a top-off because I wouldn't be near another service station for a while. The gauge at that time showed full (although it wasn't) and then when I filled up it only showed 2/3. I've never been able to get it to show full again.

Any thoughts on whether gasoline with ethanol could be part of the problem? After the sensor was replaced the tank was filled with ethanol-free gas. When I stopped to top-off I used gas with ethanol.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jeff

Ethanol has nothing to do with the problem. In your case you just got another bad sensor. Only recourse is to try another one. If a second sensor has the same problem, then it may be a dash issue, but that is unlikely.

Has it stopped working of is it just a bit unpredictable.
My 08 fuel gauge is unpredictable, sometimes I can fill up and all 3 bars light up and stay that way for 60 miles or so then dropping down to 2 bars. Other times I fill up to the brim and on 2 light up, then the 3rd can come on after 30 miles!

Best bet is to brim it, ride, work out your mileage per litre or gallon and then use one of the 1 trip settings to record and monitor your tank mileage. This has proved vey predictable.

I get just on 10miles/litre so am good for 160 miles leaving me approx 2 litres in reserve (never filled up more that 16.5 litres so far).

Dont let it spoil your riding, just see it as learning the bike.

My Honda does 200m on a tank, the gauge doesn't move for the first 100 miles, then is quite linear. Just a case of me knowing how it behaves

Does anyone know if MG is working on fixing the problem with the sensors or is it the luck of the draw if you get one that functions?

Campagman said:
Has it stopped working of is it just a bit unpredictable.

It only worked right after the installation. After I topped off the tank the first time the problems started again. It has never shown a full tank since then.

Moto Guzzi electronics seem to be controlled by some dark form of sorcery. The original fuel sensor on my Stelvio began to behave erratically very soon after I purchased the bike. It simply refused to show a full tank, no matter how much gas was in it. That sensor was replaced under warranty, and not long after that, the replacement sensor did the same thing. Then, inexplicably, it seemed to cure itself. For the most part, it has been working properly for the past year and a half or so. Explanation? Beats me! :?:

Bruce

I had a fuel sensor problem on my 2007 Norge. The sensor was always low in it's reading. I ordered a new float/sensor. When I removed the fuel pump assy/float I noticed the float apperared to have gas inside of it. I removed the float and sure as hell it had gas inside the float and of course this would make the flow level always read low. I could have changed the float for the new one I had bought (approx $80.00), but I disassembled the old sensor/float drilled a small hole in the top of the float to drain the gas out. I resealed the hole cleaned the outside of the float, near the seam line, first with 200 grit sandpaper then with acetone. I used superglue to reseal the seam line, allowed the glue to set overnight. I submerged the float in some gas for about a week. The only reason for the long time is that i had other things that came up and I had forgotten about the test. When I returned to the float test, NO fuel was inside the float. The float/pump was reinstalled and has been working withou fault for the last year. So the bottom line, check the float, could save you a lot of $$$.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone for your input. I have tried several times to contact Moto Guzzi USA/Piaggio to no avail. (They are the worst for customer service). I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and get it replaced again while it's still under warranty.

2017 Stelvio fuel gauge inop out of the box on a new bike. Seeing this original thread is 7 years old has MG redesigned the fuel sensor? Part compatibility with other brands of motorcycles? Part #? I'm on my own as I don't let dealers touch my scooters.

The fuel pump /gauge system come right out the back of tank. Not a bad job at all. I would do the electrical pinout just to make sure what to fix.
If it's under warranty, take it to the dealer.
If you don't like dealer, there are parts & service manuals here in down loads.
I have no idea what crosses w/other bikes or parts other than filter & some pumps.

Last edited:
It has a long float arm, it may be hung up on something and not faulty. If it's been like that since new, chances are it got stuck at factory.

Seems I may have this issue too on my 2011 Norge. It was gifted to me me by one of my younger brothers. Spending the day getting acquainted. Wondering how the super glue repairs are holding up.

Back