• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzis @ Norton Motorcycles

I have looked at the various Royal Enfield options. And honestly, there are many aspects of the build quality that are impressive. Many other brands, including Guzzi, would be doing well to build them that well.

And of course "Luigi" and "Guizzi" are reknowned world leaders when it comes to slapping grease into their bearings - NOT.

If a big name like BMW sets up a factory in India for assembling their 310GS, trains their staff and enforces rigourous quality control. I don't see it being any worse than being assembled anywhere else in the world.

I was lucky enough to see a rotary Norton being raced. Man what a fantastic sound it made..

I got a couple of photos of a Norton Commander that was at a big motorcycle show at America's Car Museum in Tacoma a few years ago. I knew it was rare, but I found out later just how rare.

NortonCommander1 NortonCommander2

And of course "Luigi" and "Guizzi" are reknowned world leaders when it comes to slapping grease into their bearings - NOT.

If a big name like BMW sets up a factory in India for assembling their 310GS, trains their staff and enforces rigourous quality control. I don't see it being any worse than being assembled anywhere else in the world.

I have never experienced any bearing failure nor have I ever repaired one on any Moto Guzzi I have owned, and I’ve owned a bunch and wrenched many more.

The BMW 310 is plagued with quality control issues. For that matter, BMW is full of quality control disasters for several years now.

People can spend their money however they like, but MADE IN INDIA is something that will never be on anything in my garage, ever.

I have never experienced any bearing failure nor have I ever repaired one on any Moto Guzzi I have owned, and I’ve owned a bunch and wrenched many more.

The BMW 310 is plagued with quality control issues. For that matter, BMW is full of quality control disasters for several years now.

People can spend their money however they like, but MADE IN INDIA is something that will never be on anything in my garage, ever.

My son and I replaced the wheel bearings, on the '96 Sport 1100 (carbi) project bike. Three were still good.
The one that wasn't failed because a prior owner forgot to install the inner spacer when they transferred the "sprocket" from the stock wheels to the Dymags.

I assume the comment about Guzzi's and greasing bearings was about the common issue of late model Guzzi's to be severely under greased in certain areas like the swing arm pivot and steering head, as well as the shock linkages.
Wheel bearings are typically not greased as part of assembly of the motorcycle. They are greased in the bearing plant they are made in.
As has been mentioned before, the main reason Guzzi build motorcycles is so you get the right parts when you buy one (or at least the right NUMBER of parts).

I got a couple of photos of a Norton Commander that was at a big motorcycle show at America's Car Museum in Tacoma a few years ago. I knew it was rare, but I found out later just how rare.

View attachment 19664 View attachment 19665
That is very nice indeed . Some lucky police officers in England got to ride a few just like that only in white with blue lights and sirens and a huge battery for the radio back then . Still getting paid to ride bikes and in that case rotary Norton's was an alright job . I had a loan of a Kawasaki kz1000 police for a couple of days . It was a fast comfortable bike I really liked the saddle and running boards . It's as close to being a cop as I ever got

Glad to see some interest in Norton amongst my fellow Moto Guzzi owners. I grew up 5 miles from Brands Hatch and loved watching the rotaries racing there, I couldn’t afford an F1 but managed to buy an air cooled rotary rolling chassis which I then used as the basis for my race inspired custom creation.

There’s a short bit of film of my bike here:

and a couple of stills here

695A0EFA DCFD 4858 88BA 1E4165FD8CE9 8F6E9324 4F22 4F21 9BAE DCB66126EBC8

It’s fabulous to ride. Light as a 250cc but with about 90bhp. Sits nicely in my garage between my 2 Guzzi’s.

David

Thanks Raven, it settles down when it’s warmed up. Needs to be revved to get the best out of it but with zero engine braking it’s quite hard on the front brake so I ride the gears quite hard, One day I’ll experiment with some different gear ratios.

I don't care for the fat dirtbike, I mean "Scrambler" look. But for a fat dirtbike that looks fine to me.
The only thing I would change is blacking out (or bronzing out) that shiny clutch cover.

That is ONE UGLY MOTORCYCLE. YUCK!
ROFL !
The Thing sitting in the cradle that doesn't present the viewer with anything readily identifiable Is the Biggest Ugly !
( It think GuzziMoto might be taking a Leap of faith saying that big shinny round thing is the Clutch cover :) )

I'm not going to say this isn't a *Bit* weird Looking ( Ok maybe a LOT Weird Looking ) but the Engine still looks like a Engine.
as well as other recognizable pieces, clean, minimalist and Ride-able :nerd:
UMC 038 MARIN Left UMC 038 MARIN Detail5

I know, I know, I don’t need to show you guys what a rotary motorcycle engine looks like but i had these pictures on my phone from when i last rebuilt my Norton and couldn’t resist.

That was before rebuild and shows a very worn rotary.

91BFCC59 310A 4E67 9BE3 E3D94563B6D8 73029D20 0391 4512 AD4D 816117C1750C

I know, I know, I don’t need to show you guys what a rotary motorcycle engine looks like but i had these pictures on my phone from when i last rebuilt my Norton and couldn’t resist.

That was before rebuild and shows a very worn rotary.
I want to see a picture of the bike w/ engine ;) in - does it look like a engine ?

Back