• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Front fork issue

Mutant

Just got it firing!
I have searched the internet and can't find any real information.
2016 Stelvio, the right fork is leaking oil from the 'bottom'. As in, fork oil is being pushed up from the bottom fork leg. I've made sure it is not the fork seals. The chrome tube is dry and the upper seals are dry.

My question is, can the lower be serviced? Is there an o-ring or seal that can be replaced? It seems trying to find good information on these forks is very difficult.

Thank you.

I have searched the internet and can't find any real information... It seems trying to find good information on these forks is very difficult...

Thank you.

Umm...

I just reference the Factory Service Manual.

Under SUSPENSIONS. pp 249-264

They do a complete teardown and overhaul including diagrams and lots of photos.

The manual is available in downloads here on the site.

E451FBC4 498E 46D1 8CAA 3D2387BBE3B5

78A77D07 7CF2 43D7 A277 9825E538F756

Last edited:
Umm... I just reference the Factory Service Manual. Under SUSPENSIONS. pp 249-264
They do a complete teardown and overhaul including diagrams and lots of photos.
The manual is available in downloads here on the site.
So this is the leak. As can be seen, it's being pushed up from the bottom casting. I may have to just remove the fork and seperate the lower casting/stansion from the fork tube and see if I can reseal it.
The leak is certainly getting worse as this was just from a 100 mile ride.

20200516 141504

I would recommend before you tear anything apart, I would fold a paper towel like a headband and zip tie it to slider tube so as to identify the direction of the oil flow. I’m not convinced it’s coming from the bottom.

The paper towel folded about 2-3 inches in width, zip tied between the upper and lower edges of the slider, with a few miles riding, will verify the source direction of the oil.

Update; cleaned the lowers really well and went for a longer ride on Sunday. So far its doing better. I'll continue to monitor the right fork before pulling it.

Thank you.

The left front leg on my Stelvio is leaking. Definitely the seal. They arrived today.
Have consulted the workshop manual so am all prepared but.....
The fork oil? Havent changed fork oil on my Stelvio before. The manuals suggest 7.5W, but the local bike shop here has only 5W and 10W. Before I go all the way into the City to chase up in other bike shops, any experience out there with you blokes with either 5W or 10W?
Cheers

Stephen

Have removed the fork tube and didnt break anything so far. It was bloody cold this morning in the shed at 4 deg C. Have decided to head into town to see if I can find some 7.5W. Failing that will take Tomintoul's advice.
Thanks guys.

Too late for you now Stephen, but 95% of Fork Seal 'leaks' can be cured by simply cleaning them.

As to your issue Mutant.

Fork Lower Fittings unscrew from the Stanchions.
There is one Grub Screw on the inner side of each Fitting that needs removing first.
They are fitted with a lot of high strength threadlocker, so some heat is required.

Removed them from my '09 Stelvio Forks a while ago to get the Stanchions Re-Chromed.

One side undid with just a Hot Air Gun, holding the lower Fitting in a Vice, and turning the Stanchion with a large Strap-Wrench, with a piece of Rubber Sheet under the Webbing Strap for grip.
The other side was more stubborn.

I had to machine a 50mm hole through the join of two Alloy Blocks (clamped together), to make Clamping Blocks, so I could hold the Stanchion tight enough in the Vice.
Then I heated up the Fitting with a Gas Torch, spraying lube into the top occasionally.
It did the trick eventually, but took several half-turns between heating and lubing until it could be undone all the way off.

Fair bit of surface corrosion inside, nothing major, but it's such a small gap it made it tight.

That was back in Dec, still haven't rebuilt them.
I'm running 2010 1200-MultiStrada Forks on it, I fitted them as I didn't want to be without the Bike while the originals were off.

Thanks for that but the seal was rooted. The inner steel circle of the seal was dislodged and frayed. All fixed now. Not as difficult as i thought to do. Made up a clamping block for the main tube by drilling a large hole in a piece of wood then cutting that piece into two halves.
cheers

Back