• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Gearbox whine

Adrian Kidd

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
I bought a 2018 V9 bobber with 875 miles on it and did the first service myself (i have bitter experience with dealers).
The bike was actually owned privately for this low milage, i guess the owner traded it back in for one of two reasons, 1. the fuel tank breather pipe was trapped between tank and frame or 2. the horrible gearbox whine. Otherwise the bike is great.
There was hardly any gearoil in the box when i changed it at first service and a fair amount of swarf, but i took the swarf and normal for the first oil change and there has been no swarf since.
May i ask if it is normal for these V9s to have gear whine? I don't want to keep riding and trash the gearbox if it is abnormal.
It whines on load and overrun most noticable in 1st,2nd & 3rd
Ade

You may find the whine vanishes in 5th and top-maybe. If that's the case it could be faulty layshaft bearings and it's their damage that has caused the swarf. Good luck!

There was hardly any gearoil in the box when i changed it at first service and a fair amount of swarf, but i took the swarf and normal for the first oil change and there has been no swarf since.
May i ask if it is normal for these V9s to have gear whine?
How much is hardly any? Did you measure the drain? Spec is 500 ml. Gear whine is somewhat normal on all Guzzis, but I might be concerned because of your words on the oil drain amount. The magnetic drain plugs will always have a decent amount of filings on it through ~100k miles. ;)

As a first time small block owner (V9 Bobber) but having owned many later model big block Guzzis I thought I might add some observations. Yes the V9 has a distinct gear whine that you don't encounter with the big block five speed transmissions. It stood out right off for me. And at the first service, done by me, the 500ml of oil in the transmission seemed very little indeed compared to what I have been used to with my other bikes. The amount of swarf was what I expected. I have noticed that the transmission whine has somewhat lessened in the 2300 miles I now have on it but I have gotten used to it and don't think it indicates a problem.

Thank you all for the replies.
I didn't measure the oil that came out, but i would guess about 250ml.

Thank you all for the replies.
I didn't measure the oil that came out, but i would guess about 250ml.
So careful of this fact, there is a small drain screen that lives under the drain bolt, and if you don’t remove it, it won’t drain all of the oil out and will cause an overfill. Seen it many times.

So careful of this fact, there is a small drain screen that lives under the drain bolt, and if you don’t remove it, it won’t drain all of the oil out and will cause an overfill. Seen it many times.
Nuggets like this are the reason I browse through this forum a couple of times a week. :)

I did remove and clean the screen

Back